PDA

View Full Version : heard a rumor

xuphorz
July 19th, 2005, 22:23
i heard that it's possible to display whatever is on your computer monitor, on your psp.

it somehowly used the usb cable, that all i know

anyone else heard of this? :confused:

Cap'n 1time
July 19th, 2005, 23:26
i heard that it's possible to display whatever is on your computer monitor, on your psp.

it somehowly used the usb cable, that all i know

anyone else heard of this? :confused:

dont you know what VNC is? this is not a rumor and it dosnt have anything to do with a usb cable... well it could, but currently it is done through LAN connection. Its pointless, I wouldnt even bother with it... The psp is capable of doing its own thing, its best just to wait for the releases.

xuphorz
July 19th, 2005, 23:38
dont you know what VNC is? this is not a rumor and it dosnt have anything to do with a usb cable... well it could, but currently it is done through LAN connection. Its pointless, I wouldnt even bother with it... The psp is capable of doing its own thing, its best just to wait for the releases.

hmm, i have an idea. tell me if you think it'll work

i have a TV Tuner card for my pc, with a composite in port
i plug in my xbox into my composite in, so Halo diplays on my computers monitor.
could it show on my psp? if it could, i thought of a really good wayto cheap on halo system link games

Cap'n 1time
July 19th, 2005, 23:43
well. i guess so... I might have to try this me self! you can find the vnc client here

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/portablevnc.shtml

xuphorz
July 20th, 2005, 00:29
well. i guess so... I might have to try this me self! you can find the vnc client here

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/portablevnc.shtml

oooh, that thing
i saw that thing earlier, doesn't it just act as a pc remote control? it doesn't actually display what's on your monitor i thought

Cap'n 1time
July 20th, 2005, 01:32
it does indeed display whats going on... it will give you some crappy resolution though (but you can modify the resolution with linux).

PSP_Newbie
July 20th, 2005, 04:34
i reccomend using TightVNC server w/ it, its give u pretty good speed from what i've tried, but if there's a better one, go for it

xuphorz
July 20th, 2005, 04:56
hey, i wrote this message using RealVNC, this thing is sweet

PSP_Newbie
July 20th, 2005, 05:11
yeah, they made browsers, AIM, etc made specifically for use w/ VNC so it fits the psp screen

parabolee
July 20th, 2005, 14:44
OK I'm very interestied. Can someone tell me what I can do with this?

Does it mean my PSP will act like my PC when connected to it? As in I can surf the net and use my PC programs? Like can I run movies from my PC to my PSP and things like that?

I'd try it right now but I'm at work.

xuphorz
July 20th, 2005, 17:28
OK I'm very interestied. Can someone tell me what I can do with this?

Does it mean my PSP will act like my PC when connected to it? As in I can surf the net and use my PC programs? Like can I run movies from my PC to my PSP and things like that?

I'd try it right now but I'm at work.

ki tried that last part
first, you need a card that supports multiple overlay devices, if you don't have that, it won't work

second, i wouldn't bother, the send rate is so low that the screen on the psp only updates every 30 seconds for that. oh, and forget games, too
it's mainly used for if your next door or something, and forgot to send an important email, but don't want to leave your neighbors house

parabolee
July 20th, 2005, 18:12
oh so it's pretty much useless then?

Cap'n 1time
July 20th, 2005, 18:35
oh so it's pretty much useless then?

its a cool program... but yes :) its useless. I am sure you can change the refresh rate to less then 30 seconds, but this is still useless.

parabolee
July 20th, 2005, 18:53
Well if they ever get a decent refresh rate, like 15 times per second, it would be an awesome tool, but once every 30 seconds is'nt even any good as a web browser.

xuphorz
July 20th, 2005, 19:10
its a cool program... but yes :) its useless. I am sure you can change the refresh rate to less then 30 seconds, but this is still useless.

not the overall refresh rate, when it comes to opening windows, it will show on the psp immediatly pretty much
but when it comes to showing movies, with alot of changing colors rapidly, it just can't recieve/send fast enough :(

PSP_Newbie
July 20th, 2005, 20:53
yeah, i tried movies and it doesnt exactly work very well, but the refresh rate is much faster than 30 times per second, i can easily use web browser, etc, what server do u use? mine works fine w/ TightVNC Server

parabolee
July 20th, 2005, 22:07
OH Ok I'm interested again, so running the internet works good on it huh? Interesting. Might try this out at the weekend if I get a chance. Could anyone post some experimants with what can be done with this?

Thanks

Cap'n 1time
July 20th, 2005, 22:22
OH Ok I'm interested again, so running the internet works good on it huh? Interesting. Might try this out at the weekend if I get a chance. Could anyone post some experimants with what can be done with this?

Thanks

anything you can do on your computer you can do on vnc... but its still a complete waste of time.

parabolee
July 22nd, 2005, 14:23
What makes a waste of time? Wouldn't it be cool to read Ebooks at home without having them stored on the PSP? Isn't surfing the net on it a usefull tool? What about looking a images and stuff like that?

It must have some usefull applications.

Cap'n 1time
July 22nd, 2005, 16:21
What makes a waste of time? Wouldn't it be cool to read Ebooks at home without having them stored on the PSP? Isn't surfing the net on it a usefull tool? What about looking a images and stuff like that?

It must have some usefull applications.

cause your better off doing it ON your PSP, rather than through vnc.

xuphorz
July 22nd, 2005, 17:09
cause your better off doing it ON your PSP, rather than through vnc.

yes,
my computer is quite slow, so that's why i only get a 30 second screen update with movies

i can barely browse the internet, but i can
make sure your computer has a decent speed :)

PSP_Newbie
July 23rd, 2005, 01:39
oh, 30 every sec watching movies, lol, now that makes sense
videos dont work at all for me except on a special viewer, and even then i need to move the moue over it to get a fraction of what its showing; movies though VNC are a lost cause
oh, and the speed of VNC is based almost completely on your network speed

xuphorz
July 23rd, 2005, 01:58
oh, 30 every sec watching movies, lol, now that makes sense
videos dont work at all for me except on a special viewer, and even then i need to move the moue over it to get a fraction of what its showing; movies though VNC are a lost cause
oh, and the speed of VNC is based almost completely on your network speed

if you use ChrisTV, and disable overlay, and use video mode 2, it'll show the full image on psp
but every 30 secionds