PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS Emulator for PSP In the works

wraggster
July 20th, 2005, 17:06
A group are working on a Nintendo DS Emulator for the PSP called iDeaSp, heres the latest news from them:

Thats right decided to reveal that we are working on a Nintendo DS emulator for the psp. It is a port of the current build of iDeaS emulator for the Pc . As stated before this release is no where near finished and wont be for a while. It is currently running at about 4 fps and no sound it only runs a few demos and metroid intro and there is currently no controls. More on the 25th August.

This was also added

We thought that we might update the progress of this emulator To start off with in my original post i stated that it was running at 15fps this is not the case i meant to say 1-5fps not 15 . The emulator now has a battery metre and fps counter in the right place and is now running the battleship demo for DS.

Some screens

What do you think ?

souLLy
July 20th, 2005, 17:09
exciting news i guess in a way, but so many ds games are reliant on the touchscreen... wouldn't they be rendered useless on a psp?

parabolee
July 20th, 2005, 17:16
very interesting, not sure it will ever run good enough to play anyway but interesting nonetheless.

xuphorz
July 20th, 2005, 17:25
i'm worried about the touch screen

Raiser
July 20th, 2005, 17:31
I suppose that they would use the analog nub accompanied by a cursor to simulate the stylus, but what button would you 'tap' with? The PSP has the exact same amount of face and shoulder buttons as the DS, leaving it quite difficult to designate a button to acting as a styuls tap.

Another issue is the microphone. some games like Wario Ware: Touched and Feel the Magic use the microphone for certain minigames. Since the PSP has no such kind of input, it would be difficult to simulate.

xuphorz
July 20th, 2005, 17:46
I suppose that they would use the analog nub accompanied by a cursor to simulate the stylus, but what button would you 'tap' with? The PSP has the exact same amount of face and shoulder buttons as the DS, leaving it quite difficult to designate a button to acting as a styuls tap.

Another issue is the microphone. some games like Wario Ware: Touched and Feel the Magic use the microphone for certain minigames. Since the PSP has no such kind of input, it would be difficult to simulate.

i thought they were making a microphone for psp. maybe i wrong tho

analog probly would be the sytlus acting thing, but 2 problems:
1) what you said
2) not NEARLY as fast as a touch screen, so games like WarioWare probly just won't be playabel, even with a microphone

JcBoyCool
July 20th, 2005, 18:06
Well if they can get a DS emulator to work on the psp couldnt they make a n64 one even easier?

Cap'n 1time
July 20th, 2005, 18:38
looks fake. This is probably stupid pspupdates crap so dont even bother with it.

JcBoyCool: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! thats like a n64 port on a dreamcast or even ps2. its utterly impossible to get a n64 emulator (worthy of playing games at a worthy speed) on such a weak machine. As DS's hardware is much more complexed I can garentee you this is a fake. some one should lock and delete this topic. (no offence wraggy)

CannedSoup
July 20th, 2005, 20:09
Ohh yeah i'm sure psp can't have a port of Open Source DS emulator at 4 frames *rolls eyes*

xuphorz
July 20th, 2005, 20:12
Ohh yeah i'm sure psp can't have a port of Open Source DS emulator at 4 frames *rolls eyes*

doesn't the ds only 67mhz, 4MB ram, and 656KB VRAM?
seems like the psp could emulate that at around 20fps

nexis2600
July 20th, 2005, 20:27

Its 2 cpus, 1 Arm9 at 67mhz, and an arm7 at 33mhz.

Remember, gba emulator runs slow and is only emulating a arm7 17mhz (true that vboy is a very complex emulator to port but ds has alot running in it).

Zephyroth_drgs
July 20th, 2005, 21:09
kinda, but the problem is understad how the chipset works, and traslate it to the chipset functions of the psp, and emulate fucntions that the psp chipset dont have predefined, that cost a bunch of cpu procesing, cus predefined functions r made to speed up processor and general stuff, well thats i think im not adeveloper :)

Zephyroth_drgs
July 20th, 2005, 21:11
Its 2 cpus, 1 Arm9 at 67mhz, and an arm7 at 33mhz.

Remember, gba emulator runs slow and is only emulating a arm7 17mhz (true that vboy is a very complex emulator to port but ds has alot running in it).

ho thats it, agreed :o :)

WSOUNitePirate895
July 20th, 2005, 21:54
Looks very interesting indeed, as for the touch screen, why not use the tumb stick and let that control the touchpad, if all fails I guess you could let the Select button become a MODE SWITCH where you would switch button funtions beteween touchscreen and regular screen controls.
Good Luck,

Also in the N64, maybe someone could try porting Project 64 or something, there is also PSONE emulation coming in to the scene so a few more months.....

xuphorz
July 20th, 2005, 22:08
N64, maybe someone could try porting Project 64 or something, there is also PSONE emulation coming in to the scene so a few more months.....

i don't think EITHER will ever be fully playable
the xbox has MUCH higher system specs than psp, but it can't run N64 or PS1 very good at all, so why could the psp?

Cap'n 1time
July 20th, 2005, 22:20
the xbox has MUCH higher system specs than psp, but it can't run N64 or PS1 very good at all, so why could the psp?

yes... it can... 800mhz celeron with 32 megs of ram and a decent last generation gpu has proven to easily handel n64 emulation as well as ps1. sureal64 and whatever that playstation emulator is called work just fine for me. The only reason why it isnt as good as the latest releases of pcsx and 1964 is totally due to lack of interest.

darkcube
July 20th, 2005, 23:29

I think SNESAdvance really set the bar as to what can be emulated on what.

If a 16mhz GBA can emulate a 4Mhz SNES @ almost full speed (no sound), then a 333mhz PSP can emulate a 33Mhz PS1 no contest.

xuphorz
July 20th, 2005, 23:45
yes... it can... 800mhz celeron with 32 megs of ram and a decent last generation gpu has proven to easily handel n64 emulation as well as ps1. sureal64 and whatever that playstation emulator is called work just fine for me. The only reason why it isnt as good as the latest releases of pcsx and 1964 is totally due to lack of interest.

got specs wrong, xbox is 733mhz, 64mb ram, 32 vram
you got surreal64 to work goodly?
how?
pm me :)

B_man55
July 21st, 2005, 00:13
I'd rather buy a DS and play the games on there.. You kind of need the touchscreen. And besides, the games on the DS are better and I've already got one, except the lack of emulation of course. :D

djrobx
July 21st, 2005, 00:30
If a 16mhz GBA can emulate a 4Mhz SNES @ almost full speed (no sound), then a 333mhz PSP can emulate a 33Mhz PS1 no contest.Mhz ratings aren't everything. You really have to compare the CPUs. Heck, even with x86 an Athlon runs faster than a Pentium 4 at the same mhz rating. Not only that, but emulators aren't simply emulating a CPU, they have to emulate every last detail of the hardware. The atari 2600 only has a 1.19mhz CPU, but requires substantially more horsepower to emulate because the hardware, while not particularly complex, must be also emulated with very precise timing.

The devil is in the details so it's very tough to say what can and can't be done. And even if it can be done, how feasable is it? Will anyone really tackle doing a PS1 emulator in MIPS assembler? The possibility of an n64 emulator is somehwat interesting because they're both running MIPS processors. There might be some way to take advantage of that.

xuphorz
July 21st, 2005, 00:33
i have ds too, but i like psp better, cause i can play snes, gb/gbc and nes games on the road. no other system can do this yet

B_man55
July 21st, 2005, 00:40
That's pretty much what I said too. I just think the DS's actaul games are better. But the fact of the matter is, if a PSP can play old Nintendo games, then it kicks ass. I'm also looking forward to the Revolution's release. Leave it to Nintendo to bring you quality games with quality options. For instance, the fact that you can download any previous Nintendo game on the revolution is awesome. I'm just glad somebody got emulators on the PSP so we can enjoy these great games wirelessly :D

quzar
July 21st, 2005, 00:45

yea, because that's the way it works you know... the clock speed is lower so of course it is emulatable. Yes, everyone always says you know, start small and get more optimized like ps1 emulators, but it doesnt work that way. maybe maybe using lots of hardware tricks and crazy stuff you might get close to 15fps, whereas something like ps1 uses a SIMILAR PROCESSOR, which is also a reason why there is hope for something like saturn on the dreamcast.

oh also xuphorz, the NDS has each of the three emulators you mentioned in your above post... as well as the ability to play gba games

while i'm at it might as well mention that the gba, the gp32 and the ngage can also do what you mentioned (as well as most of the less popular phones and other handhelds like the zodiac).

wraggster
July 21st, 2005, 01:04
its confimed fake, but i did say that in my newspost anyway.

this discussion does make u wonder if a ds emu would be possible

quzar
July 21st, 2005, 01:13
think about something like DC emulation on the PS2 and that gives you your answer. No matter what sony says, the psp is by no mean that much faster than the DS to emulate it at any speed.

xuphorz
July 21st, 2005, 01:22
its confimed fake, but i did say that in my newspost anyway.

this discussion does make u wonder if a ds emu would be possible

it is i'd think
where did you get this from anyway?
don't trust anything from that website :)

RabidPuppi
July 21st, 2005, 03:31
i dunno the DS does sort of seem to have disturbingly similar processing power to that of the N64... who thinks an N64 emulator might be possible? im not really sure, but if you could get that running than i would suspect the DS could be emulated as well

Cross
July 21st, 2005, 05:26
Hmm with so many points and idea's but I think the facts that were hit on the head make it clear. MHZ does not mean Power. Amd to Intel is a good compairison but get a few more ppl going and we would have a computer section then and it would further complicate it. (M4eaning the Intel vs AMD war lol kind of like Apple vs Microsoft)

I do think when the GPU on the PSP is able to be fully used PS1 would be a possiblilty but not DS. Its CPU's are not the issue, its the rest of the hardware and Touch Screen makes all the difference. (But since this is already fake thats a mute point). However N64 on the XBOX would work fine if the time would be taken to complete it. The XBOX has the ability just no interest as it was pointed out in the N64 arena (kind of like the Sega Saturn EMU for PC even.. it just never seems to get to far along the last best thing was Cassini, and while I still run it its...horrible on sound and other problems).

Anyway while I am sorry to see this was a hoax. I hope that future EMUs and those in the works already continue. When the GPU is fully understood I think all our EMU's will see some great progress beyond what we expect.

quzar
July 21st, 2005, 09:53
i dunno the DS does sort of seem to have disturbingly similar processing power to that of the N64...

only if you have absolutely no concept of what processing power means, and base that solely on the fact that nintendo ported some n64 games to it.

That's like saying the NES and GB had disturbingly similar processing power because they both had Tetris on them. Or saying the PSP is similarly powerful to the PS2, which if anyone tells you that, it's a boldfaced lie.

To explain, the psp can generate similar effects as those on the PS2, but it has to do that on a scale that is between 1/4 and 1/8th the size of what the PS2 does (which is usually 320x240 or 640x480) and that has to be taken greatly into account when thinking of such things.

For some reason that I can only consider to be the fault of Sony brainwashing hype, you all seem to think that the psp is as powerful as(or more powerful than) current generational consoles, and that just isnt true.

CannedSoup
July 21st, 2005, 14:37
It produces similar quality effects and thats all anyone cares about.

Cross
July 21st, 2005, 15:58
I don't think the PSP is more powerful thenmy XBOX or Cube. My PS2 I hardly ever play but I would compair it as sim. to my PS2 however not as powerful.

quzar
July 21st, 2005, 20:04
It produces similar quality effects and thats all anyone cares about.

which has all of nothing to do with emulation, which is my point.

CannedSoup
July 21st, 2005, 23:41
I was talking about the Sony hype power bs trip you where on. No one cares if its as powerfull as ps2 if it creates almost the same quality effects.

On a side note however. Could a DS emulator totally ignore emulating the second screen at all and just focus on emulating one screen to save some of the processing power that would be needed? Honestly touchscreen adds nothing to me in alot of games. CastlevaniaDS wont need touch screen but to draw the seals. if you could just draw on the top screen as a invissable layer couldnt it work?

Like set the touchscreen to display nothing and lay directly on top of the topscreen. Then make it invissable. Map the anolog stick to draw because you dont need it for anything else.

shizzle
July 22nd, 2005, 06:44
obviously if this ever gets going nintendo will just make developers incorporate the touch screen in their games for a given ammount, just to make it annoying for us.

slik da relic
August 28th, 2006, 22:32
the key to good emulation obviously comes down to the tools the coder is workin with and the knowledge he has to develop. look at how fast sony has their emu comin along. its apparent the developers have access to all the secrets that needs to be known to get anything running. if nintendo or sony would do an N64 for the psp, it would be runnin perfectly right now. dont base the emus we have out on how well it can be done. the guys here are workin without the help of the mother company, and doin a damn good job if u ask me!

da relic

Festizzio
August 28th, 2006, 22:41
the key to good emulation obviously comes down to the tools the coder is workin with and the knowledge he has to develop. look at how fast sony has their emu comin along. its apparent the developers have access to all the secrets that needs to be known to get anything running. if nintendo or sony would do an N64 for the psp, it would be runnin perfectly right now. dont base the emus we have out on how well it can be done. the guys here are workin without the help of the mother company, and doin a damn good job if u ask me!

da relic
These posts were made over a year ago...

slik da relic
August 28th, 2006, 23:38
i know... just throwin something out there.

da relic

Cooe14
August 29th, 2006, 00:04
holy crap talk about uneeded topic revival.

donne
August 29th, 2006, 09:47
:D :D

Perhaps there should be a rule on a 'dead' thread revival : Add a new fact, information or discovery about the subject. Not just some kind of a passing opinion.

Tetris999
August 29th, 2006, 15:12
pfffft 1timeuser the gba arm9 were EASILY emulated in 3 months by exophase what the hell is so hard to emulate the ds ARMS?

JD/
August 29th, 2006, 18:06
I hope ds doesnt get emulated for psp i think if you wana play ds just buy one especially since its a rival console nintendo would be really angry if this happened lol.

mickmos
September 9th, 2006, 00:09
i think this is great i would love to see Ds on a psp. The touch screen could just be the anoloug stick and you could press two bottons at a time to tap the screen. eg hold r and press triangle. It wouldn't be as fast as the real thing but lots of games dont require you to be fast. I would love to see this emulator work.

Skye
September 9th, 2006, 00:37
pfffft 1timeuser the gba arm9 were EASILY emulated in 3 months by exophase what the hell is so hard to emulate the ds ARMS?

I hope that is sarcasm, because it was anything but easy. ARM architecture is very costly cpu wise to implement on MIPS that's why it takes a JIT to help with fullspeed emulation on the PSP.

yaustar
September 9th, 2006, 00:50
Forget the ARM CPUs. Try emulating the rest of the custom hardware (video and audio).

havoc_012
September 9th, 2006, 01:20
i have ds too, but i like psp better, cause i can play snes, gb/gbc and nes games on the road. no other system can do this yet

http://pr0n.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/1/12/O_RLY.jpg

http://www.gameboy-advance.net/img/supercard/nds-cg1.jpghttp://shop.01media.com/en/root/images/products/m3_cf_b.jpg

Please do some research before you post.

havoc_012
September 9th, 2006, 01:31
i think this is great i would love to see Ds on a psp. The touch screen could just be the anoloug stick and you could press two bottons at a time to tap the screen. eg hold r and press triangle. It wouldn't be as fast as the real thing but lots of games dont require you to be fast. I would love to see this emulator work.

And that would totally kill the idea of the touch screen. Thats like playing a light gun game with a dpad.

The DS isn't even emulated properly on the PC. Hell, the SNES isn't even properly emulated on the PSP. (try playing yoshi's island or tetris attack) So if the PSP can't emulate some SNES games, how could it emulate the DS, which is much harder to emulate?

kcajblue
September 9th, 2006, 01:55
The DS isn't even emulated properly on the PC. Hell, the SNES isn't even properly emulated on the PSP. (try playing yoshi's island or tetris attack) So if the PSP can't emulate some SNES games, how could it emulate the DS, which is much harder to emulate?
exactly, the PSP cannot emulate the DS

The Hombrew Hunter
September 9th, 2006, 02:03

DS and GBA. Infact, NESDS is better than ANY nes emu to date.

Rewind, mortals.

Now a DS emu would PISS ME OFF. One should be saved until they're both dead.

It would be a colossul failure.

I hope ds doesnt get emulated for psp i think if you wana play ds just buy one especially since its a rival console nintendo would be really angry if this happened lol.

Yup. I could see some legal action when I read that. It could ruin Homebrew for DS and PSP.

BrooksyX
September 9th, 2006, 02:09
http://pr0n.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/1/12/O_RLY.jpg
http://www.gameboy-advance.net/img/supercard/nds-cg1.jpghttp://shop.01media.com/en/root/images/products/m3_cf_b.jpg

Please do some research before you post.

What was the point if that,
the guy posted that almost to months making your post completely pointless.

quzar
September 9th, 2006, 02:14
DS and GBA. Infact, NESDS is better than ANY nes emu to date.

You obviously havn't used NesterDC SE for the Dreamcast. It has a higher compatability than almost any NES emulator out there, has a built in NSF player, picture/boxart database, and a million other features that I can't think of at the moment.

Zion
September 9th, 2006, 02:20
This has been discussed sooo many times now, i think the best thing to do is just wait and see if it happens :rolleyes:

Skye
September 9th, 2006, 03:45
Forget the ARM CPUs. Try emulating the rest of the custom hardware (video and audio).

Yes excatly, just the CPUs would be difficult let alone any other part of the chipset.

quzar
September 9th, 2006, 05:39
I wonder how much we should keep on discussing not only how stupid this topic is, but the fact that someone bumped it after so long?

DPyro
September 9th, 2006, 15:39
This is old and fake anyway:

"As you may have guessed this is not really a DS emulator for the PSP . It's true that it was photoshoped from respected websites. DO YOU THINK WE WOULD ACTUALLY TELL YOU WHAT WE HAVE PLANED. NO! You will have to wait and no it's not a DS emulator, no one in their right mind would do this."