PDA

View Full Version : DS Lite Help

laura77
November 27th, 2007, 14:33
Hi, I brought a DS Lite at the end of september, by mid Nov, it stopped charging, it was fine one day, the battery ran out, put it on charge, and all that happened was the orange charge light came on for about 10 secs then went off. I tried it in different plug sockets, cleaned the connections on the battery .... nothing. I phoned the helpline & they said to send it in, I did, now i have a letter saying that its a major fault cause by liquid contamination 2. When I phoned them up, they said that the pink strip inside showed liquid damage & I have to pay £55 to have it repaired. after searching the web I have found other people who have had the same problem, some have repaired 2 fuses & its worked again. Any ideas? because I begrudge paying £55 to have it repaired when I can get a 2nd hand one for £60-£70 & would then have a 2nd one for spares.

TIA

Laura

wiggy fuzz
November 27th, 2007, 14:54
pink strip? if anything this'll end up like the dusty ps3 thing

did you try using a different charger to the official nintendo one?

laura77
November 27th, 2007, 18:17
pink strip? if anything this'll end up like the dusty ps3 thing

did you try using a different charger to the official nintendo one?

No, didn't think to try a different charger,don't think I have another charger anyway.What is the dusty ps3 thing?

Laura

Tikker
November 27th, 2007, 19:19
so, did you spill something on it?

laura77
November 27th, 2007, 19:28
so, did you spill something on it?

No lol, I didn't, thats why I'm soooo angry at them. When I called a 2nd time to ask why so many other ppl have the same probs, he said, mine was def caused by water contamination, and I said but isn't it a sealed unit? and he said yeah but water could have got in the game slot etc ..... I mean wtf ...... i didn't even get it wet, but surely to damage it (motherboard) through the game pack I'd have to submerge it in a bucket of fookin "liquid".

Laura

laura77
November 27th, 2007, 19:30
Does anyone know if the so called pink strip is actually in the DS lite? or is it something they test the Ds with? I saw a pic of motherboard and can't see any pink strip http://www.m3wiki.com/index.php/Nintendo_DS_Lite_:_Repair_a_broken_console_%28blow n_fuse%29

kate24
June 5th, 2008, 12:13
Right so I came across this thread as I have just been told by argos who sent my ds away to nintendo to be repaired that my console has liquid contamination also ! What a load of rubbish , this console was never near any liquid , battery went flat so put it on charge , took it off again next morning and tried to switch it on and it would not power up.

I think Nintendo need to admit that there is a fault with some of these consoles as according to the gaming websites it is hapening to a few people. So now I am at war with them , don't know whether to get it repaired and pay the £55 and give in - which I am not happy about doing in a hurry , buy a new one or tell them to go stick it where the sun don't shine .

I know one thing , I am writing to bbc watchdog about it as I think Nintendo are taking money for the fact they have a manufacturing fault although it is going to be very hard to prove from our end . I suggest anyone else who is having the same trouble also goes to the Watchdog website and reports it , if they can get enough complaints then we might get something done about it .

masterchief929
June 5th, 2008, 12:41
i think Ninty is lying. i would just buy an new ds lite though.

wiggy fuzz
June 5th, 2008, 16:55
it's actually a common fault with many battery recharge devices - happens with laptops, phones, you name it.

for some reason it won't charge anymore and then the manufacturer claims liquid damage. i have no idea why it happens, or what the precursers are... butit happens.

on a side note, have you checked to see if your battery is leaking?

kate24
June 6th, 2008, 13:28
part 2 of the story ... we got onto consumer direct this morning , because the ds is under 6 months old it is the retails responsibitlity not nintendos so therefore we have been informed by cdirect that because they are claiming it was liquid contamination and we are desputing it they have to prove that this was caused by us or give us the repair free or a new ds , i still can see both the retailer and nintendo trying to worm their way out of it but we are going to fight them to the death over it ... we decided to tell them to shove the £55 quid yesterday to get it repaired , so glad we did after talking to consumer direct .

kate24
June 6th, 2008, 13:31
p.s. we didn't check the battery before it was sent off , kind of wish we had now , they also said that the liquid contamination was not caused by any of the components but yet they couldn't tell us what it was caused by..... hmmm i think they are telling porkies myself !

masterchief929
June 6th, 2008, 14:32
keep fighting!

kate24
June 9th, 2008, 12:50
So we phoned back argos again and explained what consumer direct had told us , the woman said she would have to call us back , that was on friday ! No one called , they were obviously trying to ignore us , hubby phoned back this morning , spoke to the manager who said , ds is on way back unrepaired , and they have no intention of paying to fix it or replace it , the guy was a complete w***er to my hubby .

So its back to consumer direct again this afternoon and I have emailed argos to ask for a full copy of their complaints procedure , they are not getting away with this !! I am furious , wouldn't mind so much but my husband has already had one heart attack at 30 and he does not need the extra stress but why the hell should we pay for something we didn't cause ??!!

kate24
June 9th, 2008, 12:56
p.s. never ever shall i buy another product from this store on principal , I am disgusted with the way they are treating us !