PDA

View Full Version : Error "No Disk in drive"

Squaresoft74
July 20th, 2005, 22:41
Hi all,

Today i finaly got a chance to give a try to Neo4All Beta 2 and i must say it's really impressive. :)
Still i have some issue with some of my games.
First of all , all of my games are either original or 1/1 non hacked backups of originals i had to sell.
All of them work fine on the real NeoGeoCD hardware.

I don't use any Cd rebuilt from the iso/mp3 rips you can find everywhere simply because they're all inaccurate rip (erroneous TOC) and most are hacked.

That said i get a "No Disk in drive" error with some of my games.
Here's a list of what i tried and got :

Error "No Disk in drive" :
- 3 Count Bout / Fire Supplex
- Aero Fighters 2 / Sonic Wings 2
- Aero Fighters 3 / Sonic Wings 3
- Art of Fighting 3 / Ryuuko no Ken Gaiden
- Cyber Lip
- Fatal Fury Special / Garou Densetsu Special
- Last Resort
- Real Bout Fatal Fury Special / Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special
- Robo Army
- Samurai Shodown / Samurai Spirits
- Samurai Shodown 2 / Shin Samurai Spirits
- The King of Fighters '95
- The King of Fighters '96

Doesn't work :
- Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits - Bushidouretsuden (doesn't boot)
- Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer / Chojin Gakuen Gowcaizer (doesn't boot /crash the emulator)

Works with CDDA :
- Aggressors of Dark Kombat / Tsuukai GanGan Koushinkyoku
- Fatal Fury 3 / Garou Densetsu 3
- Galaxy Fight (gfx glitches and no sound effects)
- Kabuki Klash / Tengai Makyo - Shinden
- Metal Slug
- Oshidashi ZinTrick
- Pulstar
- Real Bout Fatal Fury / Real Bout Garou Densetsu
- Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 / Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2
- Super Sidekicks 2 / Tokuten Oh 2 (gfx issues)
- The King of Fighters '94
- The King of Fighters '97
- The King of Fighters '98
- The King of Fighters '99
- The Last Blade / Bakumatsu Roman - Gekka no Kenshi
- The Last Blade 2 / Bakumatsu Roman Dai ni Maku - Gekka no Kenshi
- View Point
- World Heroes Perfect

How exactly does the emulator check the inserted disc ?
Does it use an internal TOC or specific file crc database ?

If that can help , my Dreamcast is a Japanese model (HKT3000).

Thanks for your time.

chui
July 20th, 2005, 22:54
NEO4ALL try read (using fread function of newlib+kallistios) 'IPL.TXT' file at cdrom root. I try read ALL keysentitive cases.

You can see my 'fopen_s' function at cdrom/cdrom.c source code.

I dont know what happen, i havent originals games, sorry.

Try build a little program that read 'IPL.TXT' file.

Squaresoft74
July 21st, 2005, 04:31
Sorry i don't have the coding skills to do this. :(
Still i found something interesting common to all the unrecognized games.

I dumped the data tracks of working and non working games and when opening them with cdmage you can notice something :

http://marsouillos.free.fr/req/neo01.png

http://marsouillos.free.fr/req/neo02.png

Looks like they have been compiled/built/whatever with a Mac machine /os.
So maybe their filesystem is different and currently unsupported by your emulator.

Quzar's NeoDC emulator has the same issue and can't load these games aswell.
Data track content can't be accessed either when trying to browse with DCHakker menu.

If you need a data track dump of one of these games to give it a closer look , just pm me. :)

chui
July 21st, 2005, 08:48
I have a mac machine, i wil toast using mac format only and will try read under Dreamcast.

Thanks!

quzar
July 21st, 2005, 11:20
Certain originals used a slightly nonstandard file system on their CDs that prevents reading on the dreamcast. My best reccomendation is that if you want to be able to play these games easily wait till the next number version of NeoDC (i know how to at least partially solve this with more low level CD reading) or just make copies of your own originals. PC burning programs are very detailed in their creation and can easily read original NGCD discs, and if you simply take the files from the data section and copy them, then take the audio tracks and copy them you will get a disc that should be readable by the Dreamcast.

Squaresoft74
July 21st, 2005, 14:41
Well yes , i know i could remaster the games on PC , but for an accurate of emulation of the original support that isn't the main goal , is it. ;)
I'm only for using either original or proper 1/1 backups so i'll wait for your next release and see what it gives.

On a side note if i'm getting a DC Coder cable , will it allow me to test every emulator for DC without having to burn a CD everytime , or is it only used for coding and the resulting program have to be burnt to be used ?

Also any idea of where i could get a cheap one ?

DARKGATE
July 21st, 2005, 17:17
QUZAR ,NEODC is very good, i have a dreamcast PAL, but the games run slow, =| i hope the next version work to good speed ^_^ good work friend.
p.s. i have got the last version of neodc.

karloz
July 25th, 2005, 02:33
With a little advice of goombakid, I found out today, that each CD must have a top name/label in order to get it to work with Neo4All !!!

There are some ISOs floating around, that come without CD names/labels. So, you have to re-compile the files of these data tracks and create new ISOs using "MagicISO" for example (-> just google for it). I clearly state, that there are NO Neo-Geo CD games that should cause the "No Disk in drive" error...

And BTW: In fact "Samurai Shodown RPG" does work - you just have to wait for about 7 minutes until it loads properly!

Squaresoft74
July 25th, 2005, 02:41
As i stated above i'm not using any downloaded iso/mp3 games , since they're all crappy rips.
I'm only using original discs or backups i made from my own originals i had to sell.
And the issue happen with both of them if the discs use the Mac file system , which seems to be the problem here.

quzar
July 25th, 2005, 19:34
QUZAR ,NEODC is very good, i have a dreamcast PAL, but the games run slow, =| i hope the next version work to good speed ^_^ good work friend.
p.s. i have got the last version of neodc.

i know it is not fullspeed but it is far from slow. neo4all underclocks the z80 and uses default of automatic frameskip to stay fullspeed. NeoDC strives for accuracy over speed, and because of that has exact clock speeds, no frameskip, and runs according to how the original console would (on a PAL machine it tells the neogeocd to be a pal neogeocd and run at 50hz)

D.Lo
July 26th, 2005, 08:00
"i know it is not fullspeed but it is far from slow. neo4all underclocks the z80 and uses default of automatic frameskip to stay fullspeed. NeoDC strives for accuracy over speed, and because of that has exact clock speeds, no frameskip, and runs according to how the original console would (on a PAL machine it tells the neogeocd to be a pal neogeocd and run at 50hz)"

Dude, do a release WITH frameskip or underclocking then. As it is, Neo4All is way more playable then NeoDC, and so gets all the use from me.

Squaresoft74
July 26th, 2005, 08:46
Dude, do a release...
:rolleyes:
So this is an order or what ??
I have a better idea , here's everything you need to make it yourself :
http://www.screamcast.net/publicdownloads/NeoDCv2.3src.zip
Full source code to play with.

Seriously , is that a way to make request to someone who owe you nothing and already share his work for free ?
Think about it !

D.Lo
August 15th, 2005, 09:56
So this is an order or what ??
I have a better idea , here's everything you need to make it yourself :
http://www.screamcast.net/publicdownloads/NeoDCv2.3src.zip
Full source code to play with.

Seriously , is that a way to make request to someone who owe you nothing and already share his work for free ?
Think about it !

I'm not making a request - I'm quite happy with neo4all thank you very much.

But he's hanging around the forum of the competition, seemingly desperate to have anyone play his emulator, and so i explained why I do not. I'm not interested in a more 'pure' emulation or whatever - I just want to play Samurai Shodown 2! I own an original copy BTW - $5 on ebay. I love Neo4all - It's easily the cheapest and best legal way to play older Neo games.

As I see it, it's like this: a guy from Burger King is hanging around a McDonalds saying 'Whoppers are better - they're bigger and fresher' and I say to him 'Well, make me a whopper without that mayonaise I don't like, and make it cheaper and I'll buy it". I'm not demanding anything, just telling him what I want in a burger.

BaldMonk
September 14th, 2005, 11:19
Okay, the games that don't load are due to the fact that they are downloaded. If you bought them from somewhere then you got jipped I'm afraid.
I downloaded Fatal Fury and Double Dragon, just so I could test them on the emu before I decided to buy them, and they both didn't work. After putting the CD in my CD-rom, I noticed they weren't named in the same way as the other CDs I tested or own. So I renamed them to other names from the other CDs I own... and tada, both worked.

So some of the pirated versions aren't being picked up by the emulator due to how they're named. :)

So buy originals and be happy ;)

Squaresoft74
September 16th, 2005, 01:00
Okay, the games that don't load are due to the fact that they are downloaded.
It seems you didn't read my first post correctly.
None of my games are downloaded isos.
They're either original CDs or direct backup from my originals.
The problem is about the file system used by some of these games that is currently unsupported by the emulator.
Check the link in my sig if you want accurate TOC / data tracks size and CRC32 infos of original NeoGeo CD games.
(Infos that have been double checked and confirmed from different sources).

Chui did you make any progress about this , and also did you check my Pm ?

BaldMonk
September 16th, 2005, 08:28
Why does the 3 Count Bout that I used work then?? It's an original also.

Squaresoft74
September 16th, 2005, 11:47
If you check my database , you'll notice that some games (if not all but time will tell) have different pressing.
For example check :
- Fatal Fury 3 - Road to the Final Victory Real Battle Action Game [NGCD-069E] MT B02
- Fatal Fury 3 - Road to the Final Victory Real Battle Action Game [NGCD-069E] MT B03
They 're the same games but their data track is not the same.
Your 3 Count Bout version might just not be the same as mine and yours may use a filesystem that is supported by the emulator.
Mine is the Japanese pressing btw (Fire supplex) , 3 Count Bout being the Euro/Usa one.

If you have original CDs and wish to submit complete infos to help completing my database , you're welcome.

BaldMonk
September 16th, 2005, 14:56
OH cool then. I had no idea there were different versions... I thought the games just changed depending on the console it was played it. Were there actually different manufacturers of the games?

I'll see if I can get some of my mates games... He got quite angry once he saw how well the Dreamcast played them... Haha. That's what he gets for not buying SEGA. :D

What exactly do you mean by Filesystem? The test version of Fatal Fury I downloaded had a different kind of CD name from the originals that I tried, and didn't work, but once I renamed it to the name that the Ninja Masters CD has... which is just NMCD.

I know it's not possible, but with the originals you have, would a simple rename of the CDs make them run? That seems to be the only thing preventing the games running if I've downloaded them to test them... A simple Data track rename and they boot.

Squaresoft74
September 16th, 2005, 16:01
I thought the games just changed depending on the console it was played it.

Yes, the region selection depends on the console's "jumper" position.
If it's set to Japan , then the game will boot with the Japanese title/language/etc..
And so on for Euro and Us.

The difference found between 2 different pressing of a same game is certainly a matter of bug fix or even maybe protection update.
For example :
Double Dragon [NGCD-082E] MT B05 & Double Dragon [NGCD-082] MT B06 just crash Nebula or NJ's NeoGeoCd 0.6.0 emulator while Double Dragon [NGCD-082E] MT B04 will work fine.
I didn't try with Neo4all yet.

What exactly do you mean by Filesystem?

Since i'm really bad at explaining things and my Engrish doesn't help , better you read this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system :)

The test version of Fatal Fury I downloaded had a different kind of CD name from the originals that I tried, and didn't work, but once I renamed it to the name that the Ninja Masters CD has... which is just NMCD.

I think the tool you used to update the CD label , didn't preserve the original filesystem and "rebuilt" the renamed iso with a more standard one supported by the emulator.

I gave a quick try with CDmage on Samurai Spirits and noticed the resulting iso was smaller than the original one.
Then doing a Hex compare of both iso, i noticed there were a lot of changes other than the CD label what make me believe that the original filesystem hasn't been preserved.

I know it's not possible, but with the originals you have, would a simple rename of the CDs make them run? That seems to be the only thing preventing the games running if I've downloaded them to test them... A simple Data track rename and they boot.
Well if all i wanted was to play i could simply do what Quzar mentionned here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=40587&postcount=5) but that wouldn't solve the current issue with the original CDs. :)

BaldMonk
September 16th, 2005, 18:20
Ah... I see now. Thanks for helping me understand that. :)
I'll try and grab my mates 3 Count Bout and get the details that you need... Unless you already have it. What ones are you actually looking for details on? I'll see if he has them.

Squaresoft74
September 16th, 2005, 23:47
Any game that curently doesn't have its dedicated TOC/Details page is welcome.
To check if a game pressing is already referenced or not , simply look at the serial number you can find on the CD's hub , the "B" one.

Example for "Pulstar [NGCD-089E] MT B01"
http://helpnec.free.fr/temp/Neo/files/01.jpg http://helpnec.free.fr/temp/Neo/files/03.jpg

BaldMonk
September 17th, 2005, 03:45
Cool. I will try and go see him today before I go out tonight... He's a stingy bastard, so wish me luck ;)

BaldMonk
September 20th, 2005, 12:18
No luck yet mate... He's being a total ass. Have you ever known one of those bastards that don't like to share? :(

Squaresoft74
September 21st, 2005, 00:52
Well that can happen sometimes , thanks for trying anyway. :)

brmanuk
September 29th, 2005, 00:12
hey guys, im a bit confused. ive downloaded every neo geo emu there is for the dreamcast and they boot up with no problems but every time i put either kof 94 or kof 95 (both are originals) i get the 'no disk found' message. i read earlier on this tread about making copys of original disks so i made a 'on the fly' copy on nero 5 of kof 94 but it still doesnt work. i opened up the cd-r (and the original disks i had) in iso buster and it registered track 1 as an apple mac file. how would i go about doing what quzar and others have said and make a copy of my games which will work on my dc? ive been trying for months to play these games on my dc so any detailed help (cos i really didn’t understand the advice on this tread lol) on how to make them dc compatible would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

chui
September 29th, 2005, 00:43
Rebuild iso: copy all files to directory and extract audio, after toast like mix data/uadio cd.

Sorry.

brmanuk
October 3rd, 2005, 19:01
anyone?

chui
October 3rd, 2005, 20:08
Yes, it's a safe method, sorry !

quzar
October 3rd, 2005, 22:16
I'm not making a request - I'm quite happy with neo4all thank you very much.

But he's hanging around the forum of the competition, seemingly desperate to have anyone play his emulator, and so i explained why I do not. I'm not interested in a more 'pure' emulation or whatever - I just want to play Samurai Shodown 2! I own an original copy BTW - $5 on ebay. I love Neo4all - It's easily the cheapest and best legal way to play older Neo games.

As I see it, it's like this: a guy from Burger King is hanging around a McDonalds saying 'Whoppers are better - they're bigger and fresher' and I say to him 'Well, make me a whopper without that mayonaise I don't like, and make it cheaper and I'll buy it". I'm not demanding anything, just telling him what I want in a burger.

wow, i just saw all this. I don't 'hang around the fourm of the competition'. I was a member of these forums before chui was, and read every forum on these forums, including DS, PS3, PSP, etc. I posted here because I had useful input, the fact that remastering CDs can make them readable, as i have encountered the problem before and have seen the solution (in the form of lower level CD reading) and threw in that the next version of NeoDC will incorporate it. My second post was only a response to DARKGATE's comment on the speed and explaining why it is relatively slow. It was off topic, but was not intended as propaganda.

brmanuk
October 5th, 2005, 21:26
woohoo! i got it to work! the only problem is i dont get any cd-da audio (im playing KOF94), is this normal, or is cd-da not enabled yet? thanks

quzar
October 6th, 2005, 18:22
woohoo! i got it to work! the only problem is i dont get any cd-da audio (im playing KOF94), is this normal, or is cd-da not enabled yet? thanks

try to turn off z80 underclocking. if that doesn't work there is a chance your game CD is bad/improperly made, try putting it into a CD player and see if you get audio for tracks 2 on.

brmanuk
October 9th, 2005, 01:08
I tried turning it off but it made no difference and it works in a cd player. I made the disk by creating a mixed mode data audio cd on nero 5 from an original disk. Is there anyway I could make a better copy? I noticed when it was burning the audio tracks appeared to be burning as wave files however it plays in a conventional cd player like you said so im guessing thats not an issue. Thanks.
edit: I burnt the disk in ISO Level 1 Mode 2/XA if that makes any difference.

quzar
October 10th, 2005, 07:20
does it play cdda in neodc? that is basically the last test to see if it's your disc or the emulator. either that or try NeoCD/SDL 0.3.1 on the PC.

brmanuk
October 10th, 2005, 16:15
No, it doesn’t play on NeoDC either...I've noticed something about the disk though. The audio tracks on the original disk don’t have any index pauses between tracks, however, the first track (the data track) has a 3 second pause before the first audio track plays. The tracks on the copy I made don’t have pauses either, however there is only a 2 second pause (Nero default) between the data track and the first audio track and I don’t know how to increase it to 3 seconds. I'm guessing that’s messing up the audio tracks.

Has anyone got any ideas how to make a better copy, perhaps with a different program?

1stvinicius
October 11th, 2005, 04:49
thats it!

Squaresoft74
October 11th, 2005, 08:37
Has anyone got any ideas how to make a better copy, perhaps with a different program?

Follow the tutorials in my sig to dump your game as iso/wav set.
Once you have your iso/wav set , use UltraISO (http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/) to rebuild another "Track01.iso" (drag and drop your original CD data track content).
Try using the same volume label there is for your original Track01.

Pick up a cuesheet to burn your new iso/wav set.
(If there is none matching your game , post your .bin's cue file content here and i'll give you the direction to make a proper cue file for your iso/wav set.)

Burn using Daemon Tools / Clone CD method.