PDA

View Full Version : Help with PSP purchase

kishinfoulux
November 28th, 2007, 20:58
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=260186253462&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

The link above is to a PSP I'm about to get off of ebay with some custom firmware on it. I really don't understand the whole homebrew/firmware thing so to put it plainly I'm wondering if this particular psp would be able to emulate snes games and play psone games?

Also is there anything I need to know about that I might be missing or haven't mentioned? Like would I need a memory card or whatever and if so what size is recommended? Things like that I suppose. I want to make sure I have all the bases covered.

NoQuarter
November 28th, 2007, 21:47
Yes, this psp can play homebrew.You do need a memory card for sure.Go with the 4 Gigabyte,I wouldn't buy memory cards on ebay though.

eminem2o4
November 28th, 2007, 23:35
yes that would be perfect, but buy a 4gb memory stick, ebay would be the best place to buy it because there less than half price, iv bought loads of memory cards of ebay and have been perfect. go ahead and buy that and buy a 4gb memory stick which will only be about £20-£30

kishinfoulux
November 29th, 2007, 08:05
Ah ok. Thanks for the help. Yeah I'll definitely pick up a 4 gig card as well.

bah
November 29th, 2007, 09:12
I personally would strongly discourage anyone from buying memory cards from ebay purely because of the unacceptably high occurrence of people having issues with fake cards from there.

Pay a little more and get a guaranteed legit one locally.

I guess if you don't mind the risk then fair enough, doesn't seem worth it to me.

NoQuarter
November 29th, 2007, 13:41
4g memcard are available at retailers here in the states for $34,my roomate bought one the other day.

Always look in the camera section of electronics stores,the same cards often have a lower price.

eminem2o4
November 29th, 2007, 18:08
iv bought loads from ebay, havnt had a single thing not come, jst buy it of the people who are power sellers and hav sold alot of things, they will b the most likely to not give u a fake 1

kishinfoulux
November 29th, 2007, 18:45
4g memcard are available at retailers here in the states for $34,my roomate bought one the other day.

Always look in the camera section of electronics stores,the same cards often have a lower price.

So I can buy any memory card, not just one specifically for the psp?

cal360
November 29th, 2007, 22:13
It has to be a Memory Sick Pro, so be careful and don't touch ebay I have bought cards from there which have turned out to be really bad fakes.

kishinfoulux
November 30th, 2007, 08:59
Ah ok. Thanks for the assistance everyone. The only thing left that I'm wondering is that don't certain purchased games require you to update or some crap like that? To use a specific example, I'll probably be picking up FF Tactics. Will playing that cause me to have to update or do anything to risk not being able to play roms/psone games?

JPJunkie
December 1st, 2007, 09:11
Ebay is a risk just buy it from a well known shop

kishinfoulux
December 2nd, 2007, 14:29
Yeah I picked one up from the store. Thanks again for the help.

Would there but a tutorial of some sort that explains how to get snes roms working on the particular firmware I ordered? (Slim 3.71 M33) I already have the snes9xTYL-0.4me downloaded. Is there anything else I'll need and what steps I need to take?

kishinfoulux
December 7th, 2007, 07:54
Ok I got things working nicely. Just wondering though what are the optimal settings to have snes roms run as smooth as they can. For some reason Tetris Attack ran terribly. Chrono Trigger ran pretty well but improvement could be made. Any suggestions?

Gene
December 7th, 2007, 09:35
Ok I got things working nicely. Just wondering though what are the optimal settings to have snes roms run as smooth as they can. For some reason Tetris Attack ran terribly. Chrono Trigger ran pretty well but improvement could be made. Any suggestions?

Turn Vsync off. It's a huge unnecessary decrease in speed. everything works just about 100% except a few games might need 2 or 3 frameskip on.

bah
December 7th, 2007, 10:00
Under video settings, set 'Engine' to 'PSP accel + accur. soft'.

It seems to be faster than 'PSP accel + approx. soft' which I think is the default. You would think approximate would be faster than accurate but using accurate sure seems faster to me for some games.

kishinfoulux
December 7th, 2007, 18:45
Alright I'll test out those settings. Thanks yet again.

JPJunkie
December 8th, 2007, 13:27
Good to hear you didn't buy off ebay

I didn't want you to be dissapointed

kishinfoulux
December 10th, 2007, 06:34
ok i tested those settings and tetris attack still runs like ass. also is there a way to fix the music in chrono? sounds a bit slow and stuff.

jamotto
December 10th, 2007, 07:20
Tetis Attack is one of those games your going to have to set a frameskip.

kishinfoulux
December 10th, 2007, 09:03
i set it to 2 or 3 for Tetris and it still performed poorly for whatever reason. i'd think a simple puzzle game wouldn't give me such grief.

jamotto
December 10th, 2007, 09:22
If you set it to auto you'll get about 40 fps that's about as good as it's going to get, however the controls become less responsive when you do that.