PDA

View Full Version : Games n' Music Compatibility

Rebrek
November 30th, 2007, 01:02
I bought my Games n' Music card with no knowledge of homebrew for the DS at all. The second I learned of the stuff I loved it, though. I've been prowling for homebrew for a while now and I am in need of a bigger card. I have searched around the forums for about an hour now and I haven't found a topic like this one. So I would like to ask, does anyone have a 1 gig micro sd card working for their GnM? I want to buy one, but I want to get a cheap one off the internet. I knnow this will be the best place to ask.

Jannyripper
November 30th, 2007, 23:14
Well I tried it before i got my R4 and it seemed it didn't want to take a 1GB microSD, even when is formated as FAT. But that was a while back so Idk if there is like a patch or something.

Rebrek
December 3rd, 2007, 22:32
Well, I bought a cheap PQI 1 gigabyte card. I popped it in my computer and reformatted it as FAT32 like the original card. I put my files on it and it works with no problems.

Rebrek
December 11th, 2007, 00:51
Ok, so I have another question. Sorry about the double post, but I didn't see a reason to make a new topic. I'm considering on buying the E Z Flash 3 in 1 and I want to clarify if it will run gameboy advance homebrew. I know that the rumble will be fine and I most likely won't use the RAM that much. I have a pretty good understanding of what I would be getting, but I want to be 100% SURE that it will work with Games and Music. So, has anyone used this with Gnm? The only reason I care to ask is because of all the negative remarks I have seen about the product around here.

Rebrek
January 5th, 2008, 20:44
Ok, this is a triple post and you guys have been no help at all. I'm glad to say that everything is working fine and the EZ Flash 3 in 1 has very high compatibility. So are there any homebrews that currently use the rumble feature?

leathco
January 20th, 2008, 20:57
OK I'll answer a few questions about the Games n Music, since it's a very underrated card for whats now only 20 dollars at Wal-Mart.

It now has DLDI compatibility so most homebrew can be patched to run on the Datel card.

I have a 2 gig Sandisk MicroSD card in it that is running fine, formatted in FAT32.

It WILL NOT play commercial games, however, the commercial demos can be patched to work. Install DSOrganizer and it's even easier, as the download manager in DSOrganizer has the demos on the server, just click on what you want and it downloads the demo. Than just launch it.

Most of the games it comes with are extremely basic, even the ones hosted on the Games n Music Datel minisite. Still enjoyable. I reccommend patching other homebrew though. Ghostbusters is a great flashback I've been having fun with. Doom and Quake run off of it as well. There's a few instructional vids on Youtube also.

So yea, if you already have a flashcard, not really worth it. But if you happen to be in WalMart and its sitting there for 20 bucks, why not? It's great either as a first time homebrewer making his first baby steps or as a second card for strictly certain types of homebrew, than keep your R4 or M3 for other homebrew.

At launch price of 40 bucks not worth it at all. But the new 20 dollar price is worth the price of admission.

vaurapung
January 23rd, 2008, 16:26
I've been wanting to get into homebrew for awhile now and finnally had a chance to get the GNM for ds. I still have an original ds and wondered if you would be willing to spend the time to show me how to begin hombrewing ds games and what is most compatible with gnm. In turn i'll try stuff out with my copy if your not able to get round'to'it with yours send me an email at

[email protected]

hope to here from you

asdfasdf12345
April 17th, 2008, 01:37
if there are any good hackers reading this, you should make a new firmware for gnm so it can use files that are bigger than 4 MB

asdfasdf12345
April 17th, 2008, 21:09
can a good ds hacker make r4 firmware run on games n music

DanTheManMS
April 17th, 2008, 23:18
...since when was DCEmu a friggin chat room?

Bumping every half hour? Quintuple-posting? WHY?

StevexWire
April 20th, 2008, 01:03
i didnt read all the replies, but i have a games n music also. i kept the original memory card in it.

i have these apps on there:
-okiwi
-dsorganize
-lameboy
-ds aim
and im currently looking for more to try on it. but so far every app ive needed/wanted has workd =]]

shtonton
May 7th, 2008, 01:58
its working for me. I formatted it to FAT 16 and BOOM its working like normal.

zorcy
May 15th, 2008, 13:46
i bought a 2 gig sd, put it in one GnM and it worked out of the box. i went and formated it and tried on the other GnM and it would not work. 2 hours later and every format technique i could come up with, and it would not work. i loaded it anyways and went to bed. next to the bed was the GnM i tried first, so i tried it...... it works!
looking at the firmware versions, i have 2. 1.22 did not read the card but 1.30 did. i have sent an email to codejunkies asking about an update, but have not heard from them yet. todays goal, search for a patch on the net, or return it to wally world for the newer one.

Danief
May 15th, 2008, 14:35
i got my one gig off of ebay for 7 bucks.

GTAJunkie
October 21st, 2008, 04:55
I have Games n' music and I have many games that work just fine on it. Quake, Rise of the triad, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, this racing 3D concept demo, infinite world generator, Sonic homebrew project, Whee! DS, all work with pretty much no hitch. I don't get where people get the idea that the Games n' music has such a slow reading speed, it doesn't seem to have any problems rendering 3D homebrew. :thumbup:

DanTheManMS
October 28th, 2008, 23:56
It does have a slow reading speed, as evidenced by movie playback in Moonshell. Using Tepples's speed tester, we can assume that it reads from the SD card 4-6 times slower than most other cards. This doesn't make a difference in most homebrew however.