PDA

View Full Version : Driver Working in PSPOne (PSX Emu for PSP)

wraggster
July 21st, 2005, 18:01
Pacmanfan posted this news over at ps2dev:

That's my goal, I'm pretty sure it's possible. Driver is actually running at 2-3 fps already. I think it'll be playable at 10-15fps. Once I finish my recompiler, this shouldn't be a problem.

Heres the shots, leave comments :)

xuphorz
July 21st, 2005, 18:04
the game won't be playable if the screen is cut off like that all the time....

wraggster
July 21st, 2005, 18:09
<a href="http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2631&start=30" target="_blank" >PacManFan</a> also posted this update regarding his Playstation 1 emulator for the PSP:

<BLOCKQUOTE>Well, anyways, for those who missed it, I managed to get some games (Driver, Dragon Ball Z Final Bout) to work with my emulator. I've got .BIN/CUE support working now. The Driver.Bin file was about 650MB, and the DBZ bin was about 150. My mem stick is only a 256 MB, so I had to test on my psp with DBZ.

Now that I've got .BIN support working nicely, I'm going to add compression through zlib so that the .bin files will be compressed to .gz files. After a few tests, It looks like most Bin's can be compressed by 50-65%. I'm going to work on a resource tool to remove/stub psx movies to help shrink things a bit. But for right now, I'm still working on my recompiler. </BLOCKQUOTE>

and just now this

<BLOCKQUOTE>Well, After replacing just a few file i/o routines with thier zlib equivalant, I now have .bin g'zipped files working. I compressed DBZ Final Bout from 158 MB bin file to a 70MB .gz file, and it actually loads faster! I think this is beacuse the i/o is so slow on the PSP mem stick. </BLOCKQUOTE>

rmedtx
July 21st, 2005, 19:05
Awesome work Pacmanfan! Keep up the good work!

docman
July 21st, 2005, 19:11
the game won't be playable if the screen is cut off like that all the time....

Give the guy some credit, I'm sure he realizes that. Getting this thing running at all is probably the concern now, the display can be addressed later.

xuphorz
July 21st, 2005, 19:13
Give the guy some credit, I'm sure he realizes that. Getting this thing running at all is probably the concern now, the display can be addressed later.

yes, very nice
wonder how emulators wil be around christmas?

Cap'n 1time
July 21st, 2005, 19:57
http://home.comcast.net/~shernandez1337/images/Image9.png
PS2dev.org thread (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2631&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30&sid=5e358e5caf8b2d7bfc4dace438c1e7a4)

slayer2psp
July 21st, 2005, 20:42
WOW i didnt think anyone would get a psone emu going. if he can get a good frame on it that will be sweet. great work

quzar
July 21st, 2005, 20:56
10-15 fps is hardly playable. That is what pcsxdc runs at, and it only runs disc images yet noone uses it. (then again this is a portable...)

asphalter
July 21st, 2005, 20:57
Excellent progress and great work!

Zephyroth_drgs
July 21st, 2005, 21:13
nice, keep going.... :)

magic_mascarade
July 21st, 2005, 21:26
Keep working PacmanFan! You will realize my dream of playing Final Fantasy 7 on a portable!

Good luck :)

magic_mascarade
July 21st, 2005, 21:29
Thinking about it, a 1Go MS is not enought for FF7 :(

BaconButty
July 21st, 2005, 22:11
Yes, but's more than enough for WO2097 and that's what counts! Unfortunately, speed will be a huge issue for that...

WSOUNitePirate895
July 21st, 2005, 22:23
I have one thing to say to all of you who are being doubtfull, pacmanfan did mention shrinking the games down by using the .g z zip format.
And also he is working on a video remover to remove the long movies that take up space. So It shouldnt be a big problem.

I think theres a good chance we can get a big game to fit, my worry would be DISK CHANGES.

Cap'n 1time
July 21st, 2005, 22:30
I have one thing to say to all of you who are being doubtfull, pacmanfan did mention shrinking the games down by using the .g z zip format.
And also he is working on a video remover to remove the long movies that take up space. So It shouldnt be a big problem.

I think theres a good chance we can get a big game to fit, my worry would be DISK CHANGES.

well, shrinking ps1 disks down isnt somthing new.. its actually not that hard to do. like you said though... disk changes may be a bitch.

CannedSoup
July 21st, 2005, 23:34
A long time ago there was a ff7 one disk rip just had dummies of all the movies but a handfull of important ones and all the disk changes removed. 623MB larger. Also what most people dont know is psx doesnt run in a square windows its actually rectangluar so once its setup right it cant fullscreen on psp without ruining the aspect ratio.

quzar
July 22nd, 2005, 00:15
Also what most people dont know is psx doesnt run in a square windows its actually rectangluar so once its setup right it cant fullscreen on psp without ruining the aspect ratio.

the psp screen is also rectangular... as is every tv screen and monitor (with the exception of some crazy ones). Almost everything works off a 4:3 ratio. It still can't be fullscreen, but just so you know everything is rectangular.

CannedSoup
July 22nd, 2005, 00:41
epsxe plays every game I have in widescreen, not the really wide screen but like the hdtv one. 1:33:1 < think thats it where as 1:66:1 is true wide. Is that just a emulator option that petes gpu plugin has?

xuphorz
July 22nd, 2005, 01:18
am I the only person here who owns and uses a 4:4 TV?

quzar
July 22nd, 2005, 01:26
am I the only person here who owns and uses a 4:4 TV?

o_O what's the model number and company name?

xuphorz
July 22nd, 2005, 01:31
o_O what's the model number and company name?

no idea what model number is, there's so many numbers on it, not one says model anything

the brand is Sony, good luck finding it, it's really old. it barely has color. (that's why i bought a cheap-o $30 TV Tuner for my pc)

RedKing14CA
July 22nd, 2005, 01:57
4 inches?

quzar
July 22nd, 2005, 02:25
well, it wasn't because i wanted to find one, but more because i think that i's bs. No offense, but the plain fact that you said 4:4 instead of 1:1 just makes absolutely no sense...

raven369
July 22nd, 2005, 02:26
psx doesnt run in a square windows its actually rectangluar so once its setup right it cant fullscreen on psp without ruining the aspect ratio.

I'm more worried about the screen size and button configuration than the speed quite frankly.

Are you saying that it can't fullscreen on the psp without ruining the aspect ratio or it can fullscreen on the psp without ruining the aspect ratio?

xuphorz
July 22nd, 2005, 03:09
well, it wasn't because i wanted to find one, but more because i think that i's bs. No offense, but the plain fact that you said 4:4 instead of 1:1 just makes absolutely no sense...

i'm not good with aspet ratio's (i called the psp 1:85 yesterday to my friend, no wonder he didn't believe me :p )
yes, i meant 1:1

Kaiser
July 22nd, 2005, 06:47
Does anyone know the name of a zip program that will zip it into one of those (extremely) high compression files? I think the extensions are .gz and/or .7zip.

quzar
July 22nd, 2005, 07:05
it's called 7-zip

http://www.7-zip.org/

the drawback is it requires lots of ram to do anything useful.

desertboy
July 22nd, 2005, 20:40
Doesn't need much ram for decompressing which is all you're interested in when dealing with .cue & .bin files.

LZMA features:

* Compressing speed: 500 KB/s on 1 GHz CPU
* Decompressing speed:
o 8-12 MB/s on 1 GHz Intel Pentium 3 or AMD Athlon.
o 500-1000 KB/s on 100 MHz ARM, MIPS, PowerPC or other simple RISC CPU.
* Small memory requirements for decompressing: 8-32 KB
* Small code size for decompressing: 2-8 KB (depending from speed optimizations)

LZMA decoder uses only integer operations and can be implemented in any modern 32-bit CPU (or on 16-bit CPU with some conditions).

http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html

gimpyjr
July 24th, 2005, 19:55
Try to put the clock speed up to 333 MHZ and see if you get a tiny boost in FPS

Cap'n 1time
July 25th, 2005, 00:53
holy christ... im going to stay far from this one...

bakwardbob
July 25th, 2005, 01:13
That is too funny...

Xarius
July 25th, 2005, 06:17
disk changes may be a bitch.

Every game I've played that has a disc change also asks the user to save before attempting this. Worst case scenerio, the user would have to change the name of the save data file to reflect disc 2, load the second disc, and load your game.