PDA

View Full Version : 2.00 Firmware

Omatic
July 22nd, 2005, 04:12
The news of the 2.00 firmware is interesting and OFFICIALLY adds some pretty cool stuff to the PSP. This is from the news post:

At the gathering, the upcoming firmware 2.00 was also unveiled. It will bring to life the following features on the sexy handheld machine:

Network
Internet browser added
* Macromedia Flash is not supported. A part of the web pages might not be displayed correctly
* The startup of the internet browser can be limited.

Video
Jump function added (UMD Video & UMD Music)
A-B repeat function added (UMD Video & UMD Music & videos stored in Memory sticks)
"4:3 mode" added to Video mode (videos stored in Memory sticks)
Sound mute function added (videos stored in Memory sticks)
MP4 (AVC) format playback support added (videos stored in Memory sticks)

Music
Can accept music tracks in Atract3 Plus format from "Sonicstage" under version 3.2 (now for pre-order)
MP4 (AAC) & Wave (Linear PCM) format playback support added (music stored in Memory sticks)

Photo
Wallpaper function added
Image receiving function added
TIFF, GIF, PNG, BMP format supported

Settings
"Korean language" added to "system settings" -> "System language"
"Character set" added to "system settings"
"Theme settings" added
"Internet browser startup limit" added to "Security settings"
"WPA-PSK (TKIP)" added to security method in "Network settings"
Keyboard now support web input.
* All the setting before the upgrade will be preserved.

Now this all raises the question:
Is it worth the upgrades to lose the homebrew capability?

sarla1596
July 22nd, 2005, 04:53
the answer to that question depends on if anyone ever makes a working browser for 1.5 and 1.0. Well now that i think about it there is a browser to download at the moment but to be honest i have no idea how to get it to work b/c it isnt for the psp, u install it on ur computer.

YourStillWithMe
July 22nd, 2005, 05:05
Do you guys think that we will be able to update to this version of 2.0 or we'll have to go spend another whopping 2oo and something dollars? Because I would not look forward to it. I think the idea of the Wallpaper is a VERY GOOD IDEA but the question that is still on all our minds is "Is it worth giving up all that cool hacking?" I dont have a 1.50 (but im getting one because of my cool connection today) but i'll sooner or later have to decide if it will be worth it. What do you all think? Obviously Sony is recognizing that there are hackers and there trying to draw us away from it by giving us new features with each system update to try to convert people from not hacking. I hate to admit it, but it really is a tough decision!

aseddon130
July 22nd, 2005, 05:05
no ... its not worth it at all - however, even without this update then u can still use the internet with it, all u wud use is Wipeout UMD and do that hack that ppl have been doing :)

i dont want any of the upgrades that are above ^^^^ i dont even want a web browser on my PSP ... i want it to play games, thats all!!

YourStillWithMe
July 22nd, 2005, 05:15
wipeout UMD? what the heck is that man? All i've been paying attention to are emultor stuff and not even that much anymore afterall i dont have a 1.50 . . . . . yet.

If you guys could simply explain to me thatd be sick and a link or download to check up on it myself thanks

stellarola
July 22nd, 2005, 05:28
Damn, I'm tempted to upgrade. Maybe if we keep holding out, they will update the firmware some more. Add like avi,mpeg,wmv,etc video formats. Did they add the ability to play music while viewing photos in 2.00?

Viperguy212
July 22nd, 2005, 05:53
IMO : when it comes out for sure, ill decided then, as of now, i got a bunch of stuff on my psp, EMU's and etc, i dony even have any UMD games yet, but i soon will, so when it comes out ill probally upgrade, but who knows

Cross
July 22nd, 2005, 06:08
The Wipeout Game (Wipeout Fusion) has a hidden Web Browser in it.

PSP Personalize handles the wallpaper problem.

And ver. 1.50 lets you use EMU/Homebrew... what is the advantage if 2.0?

Zephyroth_drgs
July 22nd, 2005, 06:21
actually the problem is not upgrading now cuz u lose all the scene emulating, but when u buy a must have title, like a gt movil i 4 sure will have version cheker and then we got a big problem, cuz of course i wanna play fully gt movil :s

YourStillWithMe
July 22nd, 2005, 06:25
yeah, and Grand Theft Auto:Liberty City Stories. That game will be amazing.

YourStillWithMe
July 22nd, 2005, 06:26
Cross-Where can I get a hold of PSP Personalize? That would be helpful info to me thanks I tried to look for it on the psp-news webpage and I couldnt find it where is it man?

bill00000
July 22nd, 2005, 06:38
With all that added, the hackers will have much more incentive to crack the 2.0 firmware. I'll upgrade when it's cracked, or if GTA makes me upgrade.

ShinShoryu
July 22nd, 2005, 06:45
I have a 1.0 and will continue to have a 1.0. I will also be able to play GTA and other big games without upgrading. I guarantee.

No exploit fa life.

shizzle
July 22nd, 2005, 06:49
When i say the feautures of this upgrade and the fact that beloved game tenchu will probably force an upgrade, i was seriously tempted to upgrade, but when i saw that GEORGEOUS white psp i creamed my pants and vowed to get one. The good thing about having a psp in england is that youre ahead of everyone else, which is why i hope they don't release the white psp at the launch, maybe even a year later :D

Zephyroth_drgs
July 22nd, 2005, 07:05
hope that some one find a way to run homebrew on any firmware version, or a "free" or "patched" firmware, cuz buying another psp is not the way... not for me :)

RedKing14CA
July 22nd, 2005, 08:47
it supports KEYBOARD.. i dont know whether to take this as good or bad news...

parabolee
July 22nd, 2005, 14:38
Well I'm not going to upgrade untill I can use hombrew on the new firmware. I will refuse to but games that force me to upgrade (yes even GTA and Tenchu even though it will drive me insane to wait).

I am boycotting any forced upgrades, the worst thing is that it is the piracy that is causing Sony to be such jerks about this. But I guess they might be doing the exact same thing even if there were no pirate games. I think they are being foolish if they don't realise what a benefit it is for the sales and image of the PSP to have this cool homebrew scene, I mean it did a lot for Xbox.

RabidPuppi
July 22nd, 2005, 15:22
i'm with you buddy... i'm not upgrading for ANY game. because thousands of the best games ever are already on my PSP. plus... i might just get that rad ceramic white one when it comes out and ues it for newer stuff.

ashley_90
July 22nd, 2005, 16:27
I will upgrade as soon as it comes out unless a GBA emulator is out before the day it is released.

WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG TO CREATE A PLAYABLE GBA EMULATOR!!!???

rest05
July 22nd, 2005, 16:33
I have a question, although iam not going to update, i really want that web browser, will it be possible to somehow use the code for the browser from the 2.0 firmware and make it work on like a homebrew application??? that would our life easier, meaning no choice to make.***:]

Omatic
July 22nd, 2005, 16:51
I will upgrade as soon as it comes out unless a GBA emulator is out before the day it is released.

WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG TO CREATE A PLAYABLE GBA EMULATOR!!!???

Because there aren't enough skilled programmers with ample free time and nothing better to do in their free time. They'd rather enjoy themselves like selfish bastards or live their lives than work to create a GBA emulator for us.

On that note, nobody rush the programmers please. If you really, really want an emulator, learn to make one yourself, and I guarantee if you really, really want a GBA emulator or whatever, there'll be one as soon as you finish.

Cap'n 1time
July 22nd, 2005, 16:59
yes, thoes selfish bastard programmers.. always going to work or spending time with their families!!! OMG why havnt they emulated the Earth Simulator yet?! its not like they have anything to do! Programmers dont eat, sleep, or enjoy themselves. they are actually just our slaves who work to allow us to play our pirated games on alternate platforms!!!

YourStillWithMe
July 22nd, 2005, 17:21
haha GBA-it costs like 30 dollars now anyway and no one realy gives a foog abou the games so you could pickup whatever you need really cheap anyway. And to get back on the subject I'm sure that sony will allow for us to update from there site once this is released because it would be inane if they made us paya nother 250 for just more system stuff when we already supported there product and bought it already. Plus-I am sure that there will be another update like amonth after the release for a 2.52 kind of thing (like the Black PSP did) so we'll be able to hit up all the cool action sooner or later. If we choose that is. . . . . I'm still friggin waiting for my call from the store to get my 1.5 i cant wait to start hacking haha. I've already put programs on my GB memory card and all my roms to get me started! haha