PDA

View Full Version : HUCAST-Are you experiencing Problems???

scrabbus
March 3rd, 2005, 08:50
ok, after a very exhausting evining, I and I have to say at least 12 other peeps (most of which are very experienced DC users and seeders) have experienced yet More problems with this file, I hate to sound or appear as if I am moaning, I'm not, but when I burn 8 coasters in succession alarm bells do start to ring!!
The vast majority of peeps have reported the dreaded BSOD, all of the people involved have indeed followed the instructions to the letter, I myself have tried 3 different methods for selfbooting and all have sadly been to no avail. The rumours of faulty code etc are rife. I have assured them that Quzar would NEVER release a faulty emu, the guy is VERY well known for his absolute dedication to the DC scene, a point that i reiterated several times last night. I seem to have become his biggest fan, probably because since he announced the Emu I have performed several feats of pure elation and joy ( I wasnt the only one!!) SO....IF you are experiencing problems I would greatly apreciate it if you could tell me exactly how you are compiling and burning this software. I have to admit myself that I was a complete noob on sunday, now I'm getting well up to speed (and I thought my degree was hard!!!), So there it is folks, if you got it to work post the EXACT way you did it, How many Roms (PD!!) you put into the EMU and how you compiled and burned, I Await your replies!! ;)

quzar
March 3rd, 2005, 21:44
I have released faulty emulators, in fact the first version of this didnt work at all, but it seems that many can't get it to work just like you, for reasons that are beyond my control. My best reccomendation would be to find someone who HAS burned it successfully and copy their method.

fackue
March 3rd, 2005, 22:03
Majik released an SBI.

scrabbus
March 3rd, 2005, 22:17
i havnt got a clue how to use SBI's I tried this but i get a 3 meg file, how do i put the roms into it and have a cdi?

boule
March 3rd, 2005, 22:46
I don't know if it will be of any help but here's exactly how my files were put before I used selfboot.exe to create a cdi image, which I burned with diskjuggler ( I also don't change the options in diskjuggler, so they were the same as when you install it), it works for me (my DC is us-ntsc)
http://img76.exs.cx/img76/2103/hucast4vs.jpg

Zorlon
March 3rd, 2005, 23:39
I had problems to start with but once I figured what I was doing wrong it's realy simple

Just make sure it's unscrambled before making a selfboot or the thing resets at the Sega produced by screen.

fackue
March 5th, 2005, 04:10
Just make sure it's unscrambled before making a selfboot or the thing resets at the Sega produced by screen.
Ouch - you mean scrambled. If it's unscrambled the Dreamcast will reset.

Zorlon
March 5th, 2005, 09:32
No I mean what I say if it's scrambled it resets

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1109847972

curt_grymala
March 5th, 2005, 16:37
If it's a Selfboot Inducer file, a scrambled binary will reset the DC.

If it's a file to be used on a single selfbooting disc, an unscrambled binary will not work (although, it won't reset the DC. It simply won't work. The DC will read your disc as an audio disc instead of a selfbooting game/software disc).

Anyway - if you're using Selfboot, DSSBS Final, BootDreams, etc. your binary file will need to be scrambled. In addition, you will need an IP.bin file that points to your scrambled binary (in most cases, IP.bin files are set up to point to 1st_Read.bin, so you will want to name your binary file 1st_Read.bin).

If you're using Selfboot Inducer with the SBI file that m@jk made, then you don't need to worry about messing with anything. If you choose to make your own SBI file, or you decide to try to make a DreamInducer disc without the aid of SBInducer, then you will need to make sure that your binary file is unscrambled.

Zorlon
March 5th, 2005, 18:10
With this one I found that using DC-CDR usually takes a scrambled bin (IP.BIN required), it just doesn't work (just a front end to the dos self boot tools AKA Echelon's method) also got the same results with Bin to Boot (No IP.BIN needed it makes it's own) also normally takes scrambled bins

In the end I just made my own sbi and it worked like a charm.

Can't say I have used DSSBS Final or BootDreams though so I can't comment on them.

So for this I would just stick to what others have gotten to work so far.

So there should have been a question something like:-

What methods have been used and work for the 1st_Read.bin of this emulator?

^ I am asking aswell, it will save others messing around so much trying to find the working methods

fackue
March 5th, 2005, 18:24
It was tried by OmegaDog as a selfbooting, stand-alone disc and his disc worked perfectly. Here's the package he selfbooted:

http://members.cox.net/lyingwake/HuCast_PDs.zip

Zorlon
March 5th, 2005, 19:00
Thanks LyingWake

m@jk's sbi (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1109847972) also reported as working

some other things to note, it is beter to limit the number of files including folders you have in the root of the CD for this emu as having too many causes it to show no roms at all, 256 is safe but you may get away with more, that hasn't been fully tested yet, by me anyway.

Any other known working CD creation methods that work with this emu?

quzar
March 5th, 2005, 20:06
im almost positive i set the limit to 1024, but im not sure about that. I'm home away from my devving computer so i cant check =P.

Zorlon
March 5th, 2005, 20:47
Might have been a fault on my end but I did one CD with APX 900 files and it ended up listing nothing in the menu.

I'll wait till you get a chance to have a look though before trying again.

For now I have everything I want to test so far on 2 selfbootale CD's

quzar
March 6th, 2005, 00:03
it will most definetly show up to 255 im not sure about over that though. ALSO it would take a long time to list them all, so it might be that (even though it only shows 10 names at a time it has to read them all into memory first). IIRC thats why DSNES has the romlist program, because without it it takes forever to scan the CD.

VampiricS
March 6th, 2005, 13:03
Well if roms aren't displaying, prolly because your filename are longer then 8 digits before the extension. Already has been talked about, even in the readme.txt included with the emu.

Zorlon
March 6th, 2005, 21:53
The same files with the same file names are on the 2 CD's I use at the moment so I guess thats ruled out

It seems it can handle 33:3 file names anyway I had already done a test like that and everything ran fine, anything longer though goes onto the otherside of the screen, but still doesn't cause loading problems just doesn't look right.

P.S. Thanks though :)

quzar
March 6th, 2005, 22:28
ah, cool. I didnt know becasue i burn my test CDs in plain iso9660 standard just to be safe. I guess i should take out that warning, but do you know if it can read spaces in filenames?

Zorlon
March 6th, 2005, 22:30
Yeah it reads spaces fine aswell, even reads (, [ and ! fine aswell

fackue
March 7th, 2005, 00:34
Yeah it reads spaces fine aswell, even reads (, [ and ! fine aswell
As long as the disc is burnt with the rockridge option, -R.