PDA

View Full Version : NeoCDPSP v0.5u1

wraggster
July 22nd, 2005, 16:40
<a href="http://emuholic.emuboards.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=983" target="_blank" >Smiths</a> compiled a new version of YoYos NeoGeo CD emulator. This unofficial version has Memory Card support. Full details are as follows:

"Everything is the same as before, but now a file called "memcard.bin" will be created in each game's subdir and accessed as needed by the game.
You'll know when it's being accessed by the pretty orange light on your PSP.
Please note this is not SAVE STATE SUPPORT; it is simply emulating the Memory Card hardware the NeoCD system had. "Battery SRAM", as it might be called ;)"

Download Here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/neocdpsp.shtml

Thanks to Smiths for a great release.

Cap'n 1time
July 22nd, 2005, 16:41
cool!

wraggster
July 22nd, 2005, 16:44
this release has a rather truthful and amusing read me :)

asphalter
July 22nd, 2005, 17:46
Our prayers have been answered! :-)

A brief test shows that Metal Slug and Metal Slug 2 both save perfectly.

quzar
July 22nd, 2005, 18:12
don't use this version, the way that it does memcard saving is ridiculouly stupid. The point of a memcard is that you have ONE for all your games instead of one for each. Even though the space used is inconsequential, I'm sure that yoyofr will make a subsequent release with proper saving.

Since there was seemingly no source released, odds are that yoyofr's next version will not be compatible with the way this one works (not that there is really all that much to save in NGCD games other than sam sho rpg).

Smiths
July 22nd, 2005, 23:48
quzar - I did individual files simply because at the risk of data being corrupted it's better to only lose 1 game's work

The files are 8KB in size.
and the source was sent to yoyofr, who is really all it needed to go to, isn't it?

The original builds I had featured 1 memcard.bin for everything.
However, I honestly didn't trust it. I prefer all my saved individual. That way you can properly play 1 game, take the save file, and send it to someone else.

But your feedback is appreciated.

ProphetZG
July 23rd, 2005, 00:18
It makes sense, afterall how many NeoCD games will you have on a mem card? So space is no issue for these save files.

And like he said, this way you can easily manage the saves for different games. It's not a bad idea at all.

quzar
July 23rd, 2005, 01:01
Why would the data get corrupted at all? is this common with psps?

Smiths
July 23rd, 2005, 03:14
basically this was a port of the existing code over a span of several hours to get it working.
In that span, while testing, I was losing data a bit and/or it seemed like the card wasn't getting written.
Once the code was cleaned up a bit and I noticed the files being written were pretty much in tact, I had an issue where I loaded Baseball 2020 and it didn't like the mem card suddenly (i have no clue why, perhaps there was no "write to card" procedure at the end of my last play session), which means i lost both 2020 and Metal Slug's saves
after that I decided to just do the "1 game 1 card" method to be safe.
I also am looking at the code more specifically in regards to when it is being told to write to the memory card. I have a feeling there are certain cases (PSP-Specific), like shutdown, HOME button usage, etc. that need to be looked at.

Oh and by the way, **** you to PSPUpdates for not listening to my (the author of this update) request and proceeding to post the file on their site, along with removing my name entirely from it and changing the source to DCEmu, instead of emuholic.

Let's look at a chit-chat with "the-dan" (Dan, admin of PSPU):

[07:41] < the-dan> ok so saying stuff on wiki's about us as well as countless threads throughout the internet talking crap.. what do you leave us to do?
[07:42] < Smiths> I leave you to still follow the programmer's wishes
[07:42] < Smiths> as much as you may not like them
[07:42] < Smiths> but to remove all mention of them and disregard every wish of them proves you haven't changed dime 1 since the beginning
[07:42] < Smiths> as much as you wish to let on
[07:42] < poiuyts> he has a point

[07:52] < Smiths> Right now the issue is that you must remove the file and the posts
[07:52] < the-dan> ok send us an email and we'll get on it.. back to work for me

[07:56] < Smiths> Remove the post, and the file
[07:57] < the-dan> if you didnt want to cause a scene you wouldve been more professional and either sent an email or asked to speak with an admin directly instead of being a scene drama queen
[07:57] < Smiths> Bottom line you are still in violation
[07:57] < Smiths> Call me names all you wish
[07:57] < the-dan> im repeating whats been said
[07:57] < Smiths> But you are in direct violation
[07:57] < Smiths> remove the file and the post

[08:03] < Smiths> remove the post and the file
[08:04] < the-dan> no. i said to pm me
[08:04] < Smiths> What else is there to be said?
[08:04] < Smiths> why would i need to PM
[08:04] < Smiths> you have your information
[08:04] < Smiths> you have the dev request
[08:04] < the-dan> maybe you just should anyways
[08:04] < Smiths> there is nothing to be debated or discussed beyond two items:
[08:04] < Smiths> 1) Remove the post
[08:04] < Smiths> 2) Remove the file

I was then kicked and banned from the channel by "the-dan"

PMs received 3 replies, which attacked me for "selectively" choosing sites. I responded by informing Dan I related his site to that of ps2nfo; there is no good from there. I informed him therefore I did not desire my work being there, and it would reach "the masses" (as he put it) just fine via wraggster's excellent site, and other trustworthy, respectful sites.

I have informed yoyofr of this as well; we will see how he appreciates sites ignoring developer requests as well.

So enjoy, guys... this is part of the fun of ignorant idiots running a PSP site and never done a bit of homebrew in their life.

2 cents?

Cap'n 1time
July 23rd, 2005, 03:53
basically this was a port of the existing code over a span of several hours to get it working.
In that span, while testing, I was losing data a bit and/or it seemed like the card wasn't getting written.
Once the code was cleaned up a bit and I noticed the files being written were pretty much in tact, I had an issue where I loaded Baseball 2020 and it didn't like the mem card suddenly (i have no clue why, perhaps there was no "write to card" procedure at the end of my last play session), which means i lost both 2020 and Metal Slug's saves
after that I decided to just do the "1 game 1 card" method to be safe.
I also am looking at the code more specifically in regards to when it is being told to write to the memory card. I have a feeling there are certain cases (PSP-Specific), like shutdown, HOME button usage, etc. that need to be looked at.

Oh and by the way, **** you to PSPUpdates for not listening to my (the author of this update) request and proceeding to post the file on their site, along with removing my name entirely from it and changing the source to DCEmu, instead of emuholic.

Let's look at a chit-chat with "the-dan" (Dan, admin of PSPU):

I was then kicked and banned from the channel by "the-dan"

PMs received 3 replies, which attacked me for "selectively" choosing sites. I responded by informing Dan I related his site to that of ps2nfo; there is no good from there. I informed him therefore I did not desire my work being there, and it would reach "the masses" (as he put it) just fine via wraggster's excellent site, and other trustworthy, respectful sites.

I have informed yoyofr of this as well; we will see how he appreciates sites ignoring developer requests as well.

So enjoy, guys... this is part of the fun of ignorant idiots running a PSP site and never done a bit of homebrew in their life.

2 cents?

ah, the (for some reason) much unloved smith. We dont take too kindly to pspupdates or ps2nfo here either (but the mods still have style as they are constantly deleting my rant posts on the subject, or the fact that it is obviouse wraggster dislikes the guys... but seems to keep too himself everytime either titles are mentioned.) so you should be right at home.. I too am curiouse why you didnt just have one memory card file though... there is nothing wrong with it that I can see.. but it is kind of odd.