PDA

View Full Version : Bay backtracks: "doesn't care" about format war

Shrygue
December 6th, 2007, 19:03
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=177017)

Movie director Michael Bay is backtracking about the HD DVD vs. Blu-ray war following his recent 'revelation' on Microsoft's dirty format secret.

"Does anyone out here want to challenge what I feel suits my films better in terms of look", Bay said in his own forum in a thread entitled 'Bay HD comments', throwing down the gauntlet.

"I see every frame of my films over a hundred times before it is ever released. I know the lighting conditions I shot it and the result on the DI. I know the range. I know what the final product should look like - Blu Ray suits my films better."

Bay reportedly went a bit ballistic back in August when Paramount announced it was only releasing Transformers on HD DVD and not Blu-ray.

"But that said," the director continued in the post, "I don't a care about this format war because I have both formats in my screening room - I'm just filling you in on what people deep in the film industry feel ultimately is going on".

"Transformers looks great even in DVD!!"

Bay hit the headlines yesterday when he accused Microsoft of sowing seeds of confusion in the HD DVD / Blu-ray war for its own digital download-aim ends.

ketchup
December 10th, 2007, 07:57
The coding is the same so how can one format be better than the other in terms of the movie playback? Amount of storage space and how the extras are handled, now that's a different matter.
I've only seen snipets of HD movies on both formats so far and it seemed that the BR had coded too much colour saturation for my liking but big deal! Now that should be down to how the studio put the movie into code and NOT the media itself.
You're an expert on directing! Not on coding tech!

bah
December 10th, 2007, 08:32
The guy either has no idea about the codecs used (the same ones) or is just always trying to hype blu-ray for some reason.

"Blu-ray suits my films better", what utter BS.

HD-DVD blanks are a lot cheaper than blu-ray ones, I know which format I want to dominate.

Also, Transformers had nice special-fx but it certainly wasn't some masterpiece of screenplay or direction.

F9zDark
December 10th, 2007, 16:08
Yet, HD-DVD movies are, often, the same price, if not more expensive than Blu-Ray movies. So I don't see the price of blanks helping consumers any.