PDA

View Full Version : Few noob questions about the Iphone......

Cosmonecro
December 8th, 2007, 18:28
Sup,

Hey I'm new here. Had my Iphone for about 3-4 months now salivating at the videos that I've seen on Youtube of people that have jailbroken their iphone and ipod touch and have installed all these crazy applications and are frickin playing nintendo and whatever on their iphone. So, I got a few questions that have most likely been asked but who knows, maybe I'll surprise you with my ignorance!! Here they are:

1) Is it legal and safe to do this. Or am I gonna ruin my Iphone (screw it up so I can't even use it because I'm sure the installation of the emu's and whatever other programs are complicated). Is there a way if I did screw up on the installation that I could just restore it er somethin?? And will it void Apple's warranty?? Will I be hunted down by the feds? J/K!!

2) Game-wise, what is the highest level graphically, or bit-wise (sorry don't know the right technical way to explain this) the Iphone's processor could handle for games assuming somebody was able to create these emu's. Example: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, PS1, PS2, uh......I'm guessing not any higher than that.

3)Do these emu's and applications use up a lot of space on the Iphone's small 8g HD? Although, I did see a video with this guy that had a whole hell of a lot of games and software on his. It made me sick with envy and depression!! Check it if you want: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1A0GchlCSL8

4)Last but not least, does anyone know if the Iphone will ever support Flash?? Call me crazy but, I think that would be a smart move for Apple. Then I could finally listen to streaming music so I don't have to download it onto the HD. Not to mention, flash games and apps.

Well.......let me know when you guys have free-time to pick your brains.

THX..............

:confused::(:confused::(

IndianCheese
December 9th, 2007, 14:06
1. It is not illegal and most likely won't mess up your iPhone. However, it will void your warranty. And yes, you can restore it to factory settings with iTunes, but your warranty will still be dead.

2. So far, the only emulators are NES and GBA, along with all of the other emulators that were made for GBA (e.g. someone made an SNES emulator for GBA; you can use the GBA emulator to play the SNES emulator). However, I think when gpsPhone (the GBA emu) is all worked out, the coder will move on to other emulators; hopefully Sega Genesis :-)

3. No, they don't. I have almost 20 applications on mine (well, I have an iPod touch, but it works exactly the same) and iTunes tells me that I have used up 77.8 MB of "Other" stuff, which is a very small sliver of the capacity bar. That also includes all of the programs that came on the iPhone, but not the iPod touch (Mail, Maps, Notes, Weather) that I put on it as well (yes, you can do that!).

4. I am with you an this one. It should have Flash. I talked to one guy at the Apple store when the iPhone just recently came out and he was like "Well, there is a lot of time for updates, so you never know." I would imagine that it is coming because otherwise, Apple wouldn't have made the cute little "missing plug-in LEGO block" icon when you go to a page with a Flash movie on it.

Go to Settings, then go to About. If your Software version is 1.1.1, simply go to Safari (on your iPhone), and go to www.jailbreakme.com. Scroll down and tap "Install AppSnapp." Wait a while, and when the Springboard (main menu) reloads, scroll to unlock, then you should have an icon called Installer. This is where you will be getting all of your tasty applications from.

If your version is 1.1.2, you have to downgrade first. I don't know how to do this, but there should be some good instructions here: http://apple.dcemu.co.uk/instructions-posted-for-downgrading-iphone-from-1-1-2-to-1-1-1-78964.html

Man
December 12th, 2007, 20:40
In response to your question about what can be emulated, the GBA coder is probably going to release a PS1 emulator sooner or later, its running at like 12 FPS as far as i know, but the ipods and iphones are plenty powerfull enough to handle it.