PDA

View Full Version : Why is the dreamsnes slow?

cartman89
July 24th, 2005, 02:00
Shouldnt it be the same speed as the snes? I also noticed the sound is a litttle off. Am I doing something wrong? Also do fighting game combos work on the emulator? Thanks.

FrierTuck
July 24th, 2005, 04:35
well ya fighting game combos work, its the same signal going to the game, but its slow becaue, well, the dreamcast isnt a snes, its a DC, you can expect it to be perfect for a while, try turning off sound, that helps

ron
July 24th, 2005, 10:31
i've been trying to find the source, seems to be not available, but in any case, why not to port superfamincast or try to find new advances on spc700 , that's a pendent issue for dreamcast

cartman89
July 24th, 2005, 20:37
well ya fighting game combos work, its the same signal going to the game, but its slow becaue, well, the dreamcast isnt a snes, its a DC, you can expect it to be perfect for a while, try turning off sound, that helps

But isnt the dreamcast a lot more powerful than the snes? For instance my pc can play Doom 3 and the original Doom just fine.

Also: What is a fast emulator for any system? Is DCnester really fast?

Emulation_Chief
July 24th, 2005, 22:02
Hello:

Although the Dreamcast is a powerful machine, emulating other hardware is a lot of work for their creators.

The author of Dreamsnes tries hard to keep gaming speed to 100%, and many of those SNES games that runs work perfectly. But not all. Most of them runs at 85% - 95% real speed, which is very good.

To acquire more speed on your games, go to the configuration section of the emulator. Select MONO as the sound output. This will increase the speed. You can also disable the transparency effects. Most SNES games doesn't need it to run. Games like Zelda and X-caliber require transparencies to play. Others don't.

Try playing a game now. The difference is noticeable.

cartman89
July 25th, 2005, 00:35
Your right, rpgs seem faster. Unfortunately fighting games are still slow.

Emulation_Chief
July 27th, 2005, 05:54
Hello:

Can't do much about the fighting games. If you like SF2, try to find the Lightning Edition hack or the Black Belt Edition hack. These ROMs have been altered so much that are very playable. SSF2 is quite slow, but playable. Don't expect many hit combos on this one. It's hard to perform. The MK games, specially the Ultimate MK3 is very slow to play with. You can try to disable the Hi Res Mode 7 effects. Check that option and see if it works. Disable sound helps if the last suggestion doesn't make any improvement.

Christuserloeser
July 27th, 2005, 21:45
Just like Emulation Chief already wrote, there are some options to optimize the emulation speed:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7040&page=2&pp=10&highlight=DreamSNES