PDA

View Full Version : QuakePSP V0.4

wraggster
July 24th, 2005, 11:45
<a href="http://home.comcast.net/~shernandez1337/">PacManFan</a> has released a new version of his Quake Port to the PSP, heres whats new:

<BLOCKQUOTE>V.04
Well, it's been about a month since I release the last version of Quake, Since that time, I've been busy working on other projects (PSPSOne), however, I wanted to re-visit Quake and fix some of the more glaring issues. In this release, the major crash bug has been fixed. I've played through the first 5 levels with no problems. The framerate is improved because I've set the CPU frequency to be 333mhz. I've also fixed a few othe small issues. No sound or network support yet, I'll have to come back to those later. Enjoy!</BLOCKQUOTE>

Download Here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/quakepsp.shtml

dienamite
July 25th, 2005, 09:54
Agh! I get a "corrupted data" message on my 1.0 PSP. :mad:

parabolee
July 25th, 2005, 14:46
I'll test this out later today. I really want sound support on this!! And then network!! :)

Hastur
July 26th, 2005, 16:07
Agh! I get a "corrupted data" message on my 1.0 PSP. :mad:
I experimented a little and found that you can convert the 1.5 files to 1.0 quite easily.

1) Download and install PBP unpacker ( http://www.pdc.me.uk/pbp/ )

2) Unpack the PSP-Quake zip file ( http://home.comcast.net/~shernandez1337/ ) on your computer.

3) Open the smaller EBOOT.PBP file (it's in the "QUAKE-PSP%" directory) in PBP Unpacker.

4) Extract all the files in the EBOOT.PBP file somewhere.

5) In PBP Unpacker select the "NEW" button.

6) Add the previously unpacked PARAM.SFO, ICON0.PNG and PIC1.PNG files to the new file. Finally add a "DATA.PSP" file and select the larger of the two original EBOOT.PBP files. (The one in the "QUAKE-PSP" dir not ending with "%"). Note that these PNG files will be "incorrect" now and actually show graphics for the launcher and not for PSP-QUAKE, I recon this is a matter of some Photoshopping and replacing.

7) Save the file and copy it to the QUAKE-PSP dir on your PSP replacing the old file. (You can remove the "PSP-QUAKE%" dir from the PSP if you have it.)

8) Have fun!

parabolee
July 26th, 2005, 18:31
PSPbrew and SEI do that much easier

rmedtx
July 27th, 2005, 19:21
Does this Quake port run mods?

infamousdevil
July 29th, 2005, 18:48
Quake on PSP... it's phenomenal, amazing, incredible!! I can get it to run just fine on my PSP... however there are problems. Keep in mind these are NOT complaints, merely wishful thinking towards a future release.

* What's up with the jump? First off, we don't jump as high as the original Quake... this is evident in the very first level of the first episode. After going down the ramp where the lights come on one at a time when you get close and have to push in the buttons (says "2 more to go..." etc..) there's a way to jump on top of the light then run along the top of the button stand and jump up into that room up there... and there's a big health thing in there too. But in this version, we can't jump high enough to get on the light in the first place. So... The JUMP HEIGHT needs fixed

* Why can't we use the analog nub to look up and down and turn left and right? Have it on Auto-Run and use L to move forward. Use the D-Pad to change weapons and move back (down). Use R for fire, Square & Circle for sidestep. I think that'd be an amazing control config. So... Analog Nub needs to be FREELOOK, L = Forward, D-Pad = change weap & down = move back

* Sound Sound and More Sound... Someone needs to rip the tracks from the original Quake CD and put them in whichever format is best (mp3, etc..) and have music back in Quake. (That NIN soundtrack is awesome!) I wouldn't think that'd be very hard. And we desperately need the SoundFX. The ambience and atmosphere of quake are just not even remotely the same without soundFX and music. So.. Music (Original Quake CD Soundtrack by NIN) & SoundFX

* Networking. We need ad-hoc & infrastructure. Like up to 8 PSPs in the same room or connect to the 'net and join any PSP specific Quake servers. So... Multiple Network Options

I'm very excited about seeing Quake on my PSP. I just pray that it retains all the components that made it so revolutionary to begin with. Thank you PacManFan and please keep these requests in mind. I know your busy with the PSPS1 thing... but that can wait ;) LOL Get the world playing internet Quake and then you'll have all the support you need to finish your PSPS1 project!

Have a good one guys!

bill00000
July 31st, 2005, 03:40
* Why can't we use the analog nub to look up and down and turn left and right? Have it on Auto-Run and use L to move forward. Use the D-Pad to change weapons and move back (down). Use R for fire, Square & Circle for sidestep. I think that'd be an amazing control config. So... Analog Nub needs to be FREELOOK, L = Forward, D-Pad = change weap & down = move back

I think if the analog was implemented as free look, then Triangle, X, Square, and Circle should be forward, back, strafe left and right respectively. After endlessly fiddling with coded arms, I find that's the best FPS controls on a PSP.

kaoss-b
July 31st, 2005, 16:07
So... The JUMP HEIGHT needs fixed
About that, there is no need to fix anything, the only think you have to do to jump across that part (normal height) is to activate "always run" in the options, it can be done ;)

Nic
August 1st, 2005, 17:58
Hi,

I made this build of Quake PSP (based on the 0.3 version)....But never bothered releasing it, but seeing as you guys seem to be enjoying it. Maybe you'd like it.

http://nic.dnsalias.com/QuakePSP.zip

I quickly added:
1. No more crashing (same as author did in his 0.4 build)
2. No longer needs to be in Quake-PSP directory (same as author did in his 0.4 build)
3. After the first time you boot my Quake-PSP a clkspd.txt file will be created in the same directory as the EBOOT.PBP Elf file. This file can contain the number 222, 266 or 333. Edit it depending on what clock speed you want QuakePSP to run at. (Defaults to 222)
4. Got rid of some superfluous stuff so should run a little faster
5. Saving and Loading now works :)
6. Moving round the menus is a lot easier (your current selection gets highlighted etc)
7. Can now look about using the analog joy pad (not perfect but working :) )
8. Circle button is used to change weapons.
9. Also exits properly when you use the HOME button (That was driving me nuts ;) )

(you can even cheat and give yourself all the weapons by L + R + CIRCLE + START )

I only whipped this up quick, didn't mean to release it. The zip has 1.50 compatible directories so should be an easy install.

Hope it works,
-Nic

ps
Shout me if you want the small changes to the source code.

infamousdevil
August 1st, 2005, 18:57
About that, there is no need to fix anything, the only think you have to do to jump across that part (normal height) is to activate "always run" in the options, it can be done ;)

If in the original Quake I can jump on top of that light, but in this version I can't... something isn't right. Something does INDEED need fixed. And by the way, I ALWAYS have always run turned on. The JUMP HEIGHT is lower than the original. Period. It needs remedied. 99.9% of all Quake fans will agree that the jump needs to be what we are used to.

infamousdevil
August 1st, 2005, 19:46
Great job on the additions/optimizations NIC... Simply wonderful. The analog freelook really helps it to feel a lot more like the original Quake! How hard would it be to reverse the up / down axis? I'm the type that prefers it to be backwards... push forward to look down, pull back to look up. :D Also the ability to edit the control scheme would be ideal. I'm not too crazy about how it's all set up at the moment. But I am crazy about how much you've improved on PacManFan's work. You two should team up and get this perfected ;)

One bug I've noticed right off the bat... your highlighting of ALWAYS RUN also highlights INVERT MOUSE (which I wish worked :P) So after moving down one, highlighted LOOKSPRING really modifies INVERT MOUSE. Not major at all. And probably a very quick fix.

(I'm dying for sound FX)

Thank you, NIC for releasing your optimized QuakePSP by PacManFan. Because of you, I think I'm going to leave Quake on the MS now... (at least until the lack of sound starts buggin the sh*t outta me! lol)

Cheers!

Simon82
August 3rd, 2005, 08:43
Great job on the additions/optimizations NIC... Simply wonderful. The analog freelook really helps it to feel a lot more like the original Quake! How hard would it be to reverse the up / down axis? I'm the type that prefers it to be backwards... push forward to look down, pull back to look up. :D Also the ability to edit the control scheme would be ideal. I'm not too crazy about how it's all set up at the moment. But I am crazy about how much you've improved on PacManFan's work. You two should team up and get this perfected ;)

One bug I've noticed right off the bat... your highlighting of ALWAYS RUN also highlights INVERT MOUSE (which I wish worked :P) So after moving down one, highlighted LOOKSPRING really modifies INVERT MOUSE. Not major at all. And probably a very quick fix.

(I'm dying for sound FX)

Thank you, NIC for releasing your optimized QuakePSP by PacManFan. Because of you, I think I'm going to leave Quake on the MS now... (at least until the lack of sound starts buggin the sh*t outta me! lol)

Cheers!

I agree with your comment. This release is wonderful and finally Loading game works!!! Hoping to see sound and some optimizations, maybe using hardware acceleration (bilinear/trilinear filtering would be very cool).

worldspawn
August 4th, 2005, 18:33
Quake on PSP... it's phenomenal, amazing, incredible!! I can get it to run just fine on my PSP... however there are problems. Keep in mind these are NOT complaints, merely wishful thinking towards a future release.

* What's up with the jump? First off, we don't jump as high as the original Quake... this is evident in the very first level of the first episode. After going down the ramp where the lights come on one at a time when you get close and have to push in the buttons (says "2 more to go..." etc..) there's a way to jump on top of the light then run along the top of the button stand and jump up into that room up there... and there's a big health thing in there too. But in this version, we can't jump high enough to get on the light in the first place. So... The JUMP HEIGHT needs fixed

* Sound Sound and More Sound... Someone needs to rip the tracks from the original Quake CD and put them in whichever format is best (mp3, etc..) and have music back in Quake. (That NIN soundtrack is awesome!) I wouldn't think that'd be very hard. And we desperately need the SoundFX. The ambience and atmosphere of quake are just not even remotely the same without soundFX and music. So.. Music (Original Quake CD Soundtrack by NIN) & SoundFX

* Networking. We need ad-hoc & infrastructure. Like up to 8 PSPs in the same room or connect to the 'net and join any PSP specific Quake servers. So... Multiple Network Options

I'm very excited about seeing Quake on my PSP. I just pray that it retains all the components that made it so revolutionary to begin with. Thank you PacManFan and please keep these requests in mind. I know your busy with the PSPS1 thing... but that can wait ;) LOL Get the world playing internet Quake and then you'll have all the support you need to finish your PSPS1 project!

Have a good one guys!

Would you like fries with that? Better yet, do you want him to give you head while he's at it?

Aside from the two, requests at the end.. the others can mostly be done by you. Get a PAK editor.. and do it yourself.

infamousdevil
August 4th, 2005, 19:44
Ahem... How can the jump height and controls be modified by way of the pak file alone?? Isn't that something in the executable? No, PacManFan is a truly remarkable individual and I'm merely voicing my requests, which is most likely the same requests the majority of PSP Quake fans would make. Please don't misunderstand me or spit out vulgar comments, keep them to yourself, they do nothing in the way of progress.

worldspawn
August 4th, 2005, 21:58
Yes I'm sure that the comments I make somehow hamper the progress for this port. And your 'requests' (and you've said yourself that they are the likely he same requests the majority of quake fans would make, blah.. blah..) are going to speed it up somehow.

SECONDLY! Yes.. you can edit the jump height from the pak file, along with the controls, gravity, ETC.. BOW DOWN to the the POWER of CFGs. BOW!

Zeitsev
August 10th, 2005, 05:51
Can someone please tell me what emulator I need to run this game?

I got a pc emu but I couldn't run quake. I used KXploit and set it up the same way I set up my snes9x.

When I try to run quake with PCEPO7 (my pc emu) the game goes to a screen that says
ms0:/PSP/GAME/PC/QUAKEPSP.zip

So what does it all mean? ANyone else have same prob?

Thanks 4 reading

bill00000
August 10th, 2005, 12:27
Can someone please tell me what emulator I need to run this game?

I got a pc emu but I couldn't run quake. I used KXploit and set it up the same way I set up my snes9x.

When I try to run quake with PCEPO7 (my pc emu) the game goes to a screen that says
ms0:/PSP/GAME/PC/QUAKEPSP.zip

So what does it all mean? ANyone else have same prob?

Thanks 4 reading
Woah, hold on there! First off, PCEP is a PC Engine Emu. PC Engine is also known as the Turbografx 16. I think you should open up the quakepsp.zip file you downloaded and take a look at the readme.txt file that's in there. You don't need an emulator to run this game.

King Wemi
August 16th, 2005, 03:27
I need help installing quake. It is on my psp but when I load it up it says the game could not be started. so send me something to tell me what I should do

Mourningstar
August 21st, 2005, 18:04
Can you SAVE?

Also, does the "O" button work? Sometimes it will switch weapons but other times it doesnt do anything. Also I cant remap it to anything.

omniosiris
August 23rd, 2005, 02:32
amazing release! I dug up my old quake CD and extracted the .pak files and they seem to be working great on the PSP. How do you save though? whenever I try to load it from the game, my PSP just crashes

Mourningstar
August 25th, 2005, 22:21
Menu/Single Player/Save

Thats how you save it. ;)

What is a .pak file and how do you use it? I still have QuakePC so I could use it...if I knew what it was....

Sharkey
August 25th, 2005, 23:04
kinda like a wad, hold the game information.
if you have quake installed look in the directory and you should be able to find it.
then just add the pak to the folder on your psp,
then youll have the full version quake.

tryqus
August 26th, 2005, 23:18
Is it pak0 or pak1? I found the old cd after a bit oh searching, I cant recall if there was a deathmatch mode? I'll just install it on my pc, or you could save me the time and tell me. What ever :D .

-Tryqus

Mourningstar
August 27th, 2005, 00:11
Well I put pak1 in the id1 folder, but I dont see any difference...?

Does anyone know if theres a way to save the control settings?

Sharkey
August 27th, 2005, 00:50
you cant remap the controls i dont think but
yeah add the pak1 file to the id1 folder.
youll notice the difference when you try to do the other episodes. ;)

i added the config file that was in that folder also, just to be safe,
im not sure if i needed to.

ive played through most of the game now, even secret levels.
good luck.

Mourningstar
August 27th, 2005, 02:46
You added the config file? I think I looked for it but couldnt find it...where is it located?

I was wondering if Quake MODs are pak files? If so, could you use Quake mods for PSP?

Mourningstar
August 27th, 2005, 03:32
Hell, I got the config file to work! Now I have the controls for PSP how I want them!

Could you use the music/sound fx from the Quake cd somehow?

swordfury
August 29th, 2005, 19:53
Can someone give me a quick list of instructions for getting quakepsp to work or at least verify what I have written below?

1. Extract the contents to my memory card ( to PSP/GAME/QUAKE-PSP, all but .pak file)

2. Copy .pak file to PSP/GAME/QUAKE-PSP/ID1

3. Copy .pak file from quake CD to PSP/GAME/QUAKE-PSP/ID1

after that I have no idea, should something show up on my psp menu?

Thanks

Mourningstar
August 29th, 2005, 22:00
It took me a couple of days to get it working....I dont remember how I got it working exactly, but you might want to try SEI PSP Tool.....

Sharkey
August 29th, 2005, 22:52
copied from another post...
well i found that i need the original folder on there also.
3 folders in total.

heres what i did...

i unzipped the quake psp zip into the games folder on my psp,
then i used the sei psp tool 0.6 to make the other 2 folders and a custom eboot.
then i added the pak1 file and the config file from my registered version and wallah, full version quake.

now i have a question,
i have the 2 quake expansion paks.
anyone know if theres a way to add them somehow so i can use them on my psp?

Mourningstar
August 30th, 2005, 02:03
I wonder if any of the Quake mods will work with QuakePSP?

Sharkey
August 30th, 2005, 15:17
I wonder if any of the Quake mods will work with QuakePSP?

i doubt it, theyre a little more complex than just swapping wads.
besides most of my favorite quake mods arent even available anymore.

my favorite being the "killer quake patch", unfortunately you cant find it online, all the links are broke. :(

edit: wow, i actually found the KQP.
it wouldnt work on the psp, but im definately adding it to my pc game.

edit2: well i actually had the game started with the patch on my psp,
new red KQP menu screen and all.
unfortunately the game itself wouldnt go into the first level.
i really thought i had it working too,
ill try some other stuff, it may be possible. :D

edit3, god so close, cant get it to get into the first level though,
i get an error...
"file open error
model progs/k_spike.mdl not found"

well if i could make it find the file it needs it would work,
i tryed alot so im giving up now.

if anyone wants to give it a shot,
the info and link for the download here...
http://www.planetquake.com/retroquake/quake/mods/j-l/kqp.htm

you have to be logged in at fileplanet for the dl to direct you to the right place.

edit, i got one working, find my new quake mod thread.

Mourningstar
August 30th, 2005, 23:02
Kool. :)

infamousdevil
September 10th, 2005, 03:01
What happened to the updates?! Where's the sound! He said it was working just needed to do some little something to get sound in place! :( I'm dying for a final release!

Mourningstar
September 10th, 2005, 10:19
What happened to the updates?! Where's the sound! He said it was working just needed to do some little something to get sound in place! :( I'm dying for a final release!
I have no ideal....

Ive played so much of it already that Im about sick of it...I wish he would hurry up and update it with sounds and whatever else he plans...but I do hope he plans to let us adjust the brightness....

infamousdevil
September 10th, 2005, 20:56
Yes... Where are you PacManFan!! We need your promises for Quake PSP fulfilled!!! :eek:

Sharkey
September 11th, 2005, 22:22
Yes... Where are you PacManFan!! We need your promises for Quake PSP fulfilled!!! :eek:

actually im hoping nics version get the redo,
its much more stable and has more features.
other than sound im pretty happy,
it even runs the expansion packs and mods.

but yeah, if one of you guys ever get a free second,
a final version would be greatly appreciated. :)

Mourningstar
September 12th, 2005, 04:09
actually im hoping nics version get the redo,
its much more stable and has more features.
other than sound im pretty happy,
it even runs the expansion packs and mods.

but yeah, if one of you guys ever get a free second,
a final version would be greatly appreciated. :)

Yeah, I dont care who finishes it...just as long as one of them does, and soon, Ill be very happy. :)

infamousdevil
September 23rd, 2005, 12:42
*sigh* I have no complaints and I hold no malice. I just humbly request that someone spends some time on getting Quake to have sound, stable analog stick support, a true to the original jump height, wifi multiplayer (internet and local), editable controls, and to a lesser extent, the NIN soundtrack ripped and coded to play from the memorystick. I want a Quake PSP experience that matches that of the original Quake experience on PC... excluding the control devices. I'm sorry I can not do this myself, if I had the knowledge and resources you can be guaranteed I'd work non-stop on getting Quake to the point of stardom again. And whomever gives Quake PSP a stable, fast internet multiplayer would, without doubt, be approached by some major software company and offered a job that paid a lucratively high salary. After all, that person's accomplishment would be used by millions upon millions of earthlings, all joining each other online and starting the first ever Handheld Internet Multiplayer Movement! Wouldn't that be historic? The Quake servers being repopulated with the same tremendous amount of players it had when it launched on PC... Or possibly have an even higher population. Just imagine, millions of people knowing who you are all of a sudden, and all of them sharing a deep gratitude and admiration for you. This would be the project to get all that and more. So, please won't someone who has the skills and intelligence to do this step up to the plate and hit one out of the park? You won't ever be able to if you don't at least try... And in my eyes, the resulting acclaim and respect is more than worth the effort. Not to mention being able to reward yourself with an exciting multiplayer internet deathmatch game of Quake. ;)

Someone take the challenge! Please! I believe in you!

-Thomas

Mourningstar
September 23rd, 2005, 17:17
All I want it to have is sound...it doesnt have to have MUSIC just Sound Effects....and good analog support would free up the Dpad for other uses....

Also its too bright....it needs to be fixed so we can adjust the brightness ourselves....

watoto
September 23rd, 2005, 21:22
wouldn't it be possible to run an mp3 player along with the game,like some text readers for psp do?

Sharkey
September 24th, 2005, 00:05
stable analog stick support, a true to the original jump height, wifi multiplayer (internet and local), editable controls

i think the analog on nics works fine,
and other than the O button it is configurable.
never had trouble with the jump either and ive played through the whole game.

Mourningstar
September 24th, 2005, 01:54
i think the analog on nics works fine,
and other than the O button it is configurable.
never had trouble with the jump either and ive played through the whole game.
I think the analog is way too slow....

Machineman
September 24th, 2005, 12:53
Hi guys,

I downloaded the beta here and installed it on my PSP but I get an notification of corrupt data. Now I followed the guide on page 1 but still does not work.

Has somebody tested it on a PSP with v2.0 ROM? I just can find comments of PSP ROM 1.0 and 1.5.

Would be great to play Quake on my PSP. I play already to much on PC.

Great job any way to port it to PSP!!!

Greetzzzz Machineman
Edit 1:
Found the answer in an other post. Sorry to bother you guys. ;)

Sharkey
September 24th, 2005, 21:25
I think the analog is way too slow....

yeah it is a bit slow, and now that i think of it, being able to reverse it would be nice.
its opposite of the way i usually look.

infamousdevil
September 25th, 2005, 14:44
If you have the original PC Quake, load it up and go somewhere against a wall where you can judge how high you jump... and jump repeatedly for a while to get a feel for how it responds... then go to that same spot in the PSP Quake and jump repeatedly for a while... you'll notice the difference between the two. The PSP version's jump height is ever so slightly shorter than the PC version.

Also, the analog stick has caused my Quake to lock-up the PSP from time to time, which is why I said we need stable analog stick support... and it'd be great if the sensitivity adjustment in the menu functioned... all in all it still has a few bugs to iron out. I also agree we should be able to invert the down/up on the stick. And how hard is it to make the menu's brightness slider functional again? I agree this would be another nice function to have. Also, I too would be happy with just the sound effects... but when we reach a near-perfect PC recreation, then I'm sure we can figure out how to add the original NIN soundtracks. It's just something to think about.

But most importantly... stable internet and local multiplayer is the key to reliving the true Quake experience. I know I'm asking for something that no one has even yet managed to incorporate into any homebrew application, but I know it must be possible, and if I must... then I will spend years (there's going to be a lot of knowledge to aquire) in discovering the PSPs wifi secrets and adapting the Quake network code to utilize them... and optimize it till it's as playable as the PC's multiplayer.

*But anyhow, can someone answer me why there isn't any wifi support for hosting internet servers with client connectivity in homebrew yet? How would it be possible to learn to utilize the PSP's full wifi functionality? I'd think if there were some modifications to the old QuakeWorld stand-alone servers, and adding a server browser to the PSP Client that just connects to a constantly updating server directory webpage... then all we'd need is people on broadband connections to host the PSP QuakeWorld Servers... then there would only be the need for a PSP QuakeWorld Client to be created for the PSP. Shouldn't this work? If we get this far, think how much quicker Quake2 could be achieved! Is what I'm proposing going to be extremely difficult? If so, why?

*I know there's been IR funtionality in some homebrew to date... Can we start work on coding some PSP to PSP multiplayer through the IR? Of course this would only be fun if we had coop play in my opinion.

I'm still rather ignorant, but I have a will to learn... and you can't learn without asking questions. So please, someone knowledgable enough in these matters, take the time to answer these fundamental questions. Thank you in advance for any knowledge your willing to impart to me.

-Thomas

michael chan
September 30th, 2005, 21:27
i need help.i put quake and the quake% folder in my psp game section and when i play it it runs then it says new game options and all of those.then i press new game then it crashes it crashes.it says file find:error and file:error
can someone help me?

Nono-O
January 5th, 2006, 00:46
nice work

montagino
May 9th, 2006, 05:22
ok someone IM me on how to get this game to work, cuz i keep on getting Corrupted Data, and i tried switching sum files, aand that didnt work, IM me at TotOhneDich on AIM

Cooe14
May 9th, 2006, 06:35
ok someone IM me on how to get this game to work, cuz i keep on getting Corrupted Data, and i tried switching sum files, aand that didnt work, IM me at TotOhneDich on AIM
What firmware are you using?

vettacossx
May 9th, 2006, 09:34
it would be nice for a update...

Xi0N
August 20th, 2006, 19:22
Is there any way to play quake 2 with this homebrew? thanks ;)

Mourningstar
August 21st, 2006, 04:39
it would be nice for a update...
Yea...but I dont think much could be improved....