PDA

View Full Version : DreamCast Questions.

dcdood
December 15th, 2007, 00:38
A Had a few Questions about DreamCast.

Does the New Refurbished Dreamcast Support Mil-CD\CDR Homebrew, are they NTSC-US Compatable?

Do the Treamcasts have TV Output? Can i play GD\CD Games on them (CD HomeBrew)

Also, Is the Following Possible:

I had an idea to Build a mini Add-On Box. It would have an Hard Disk from an Old PC. install linux on it. then program a DreamCast CD That installsllinux, Maintain The HDD and Boot it up (so i can still Play Dreamcast with out 1000 modifications to the Console.)

JKKDARK
December 15th, 2007, 01:04
Refurbished Dreamcasts were only released on Japan in early 2006, so they are not NTSC-U.
You can play GD/CD games on the Treamcast, and it's region free.

Dull Blade
December 15th, 2007, 01:19
A Had a few Questions
I had an idea to Build a mini Add-On Box. It would have an Hard Disk from an Old PC. install linux on it. then program a DreamCast CD That installsllinux, Maintain The HDD and Boot it up (so i can still Play Dreamcast with out 1000 modifications to the Console.)

Looks like I've been beaten to the chase to all the other question, as for a linux style DC, I guess its possible If you have the "tech know how". you may be interested that there is a version of linux floating about on the net that has been ported to the DC. no HDD support on it, but you can use the vmu. When you hook up a mouse and keyboard and get linux on there, its more or less a computer.

bah
December 15th, 2007, 06:13
Come on, even xbox linux isnt anything special.

A DC running linux with only a CD and VMU as storage is not going to be a usable computer for anything much at all.

I guess if all you want is a few terminal apps then fair enough. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iNBS9CxGlQ

dcdood
December 15th, 2007, 06:53
How long does a treamcast last. (like does it have a new GD-ROM Drive?) and Could i take a normal Composite wire to play DC Normally on a tv, and use Treamcast on the go?

the reason i'm asking is that i want to get a dreamcast, a used game store (family owned, not like eb\gamestop) has it for 40$ USD here. if dreamcasts lived up to 7 Years now i think it's good to buy. just not sure if it was purchased pre Oct-2000

bah
December 15th, 2007, 07:18
The treamcast has a standard dreamcast AV-output socket.

Grab a $2-$5 cable from ebay and that's it.

They output NTSC though so you need a TV that is compatible with that. Pretty much all relatively modern TVs will take either PAL or NTSC (at least in PAL countries they pretty much all take NTSC).

How long a Dreamcast or PS1 or any cd-based console like that really has more to do with how the thing was treated, how much its been used and luck than the age of the unit.

dcdood
December 15th, 2007, 07:27
I think i may end up buying a Dreamcast normal. they are cheaper, and i think i'll spend a few more bucks on DC-X if i really wanted universal booting.

bah
December 15th, 2007, 07:43
Buy a boot disc?

Just download utopia. I remember the version I used even had a 3d reindeer spinning around on screen. :)

JKKDARK
December 15th, 2007, 12:39
or Gameshark or CD-X Demo

Christuserloeser
December 22nd, 2007, 18:04
The CD-X is a pretty good disc as you can choose the TV-out signal which takes care of non-VGA compatible games and those very very few that do not output an RGB-signal when using your RGB-cable - like e.g. Super Street Fighter 2 X or Vampire Chronicle.