PDA

View Full Version : R4DS Newbie Help

kaz46
December 15th, 2007, 15:40
Hello Everyone,
I am new to all this and I need some help & advice please.

I have just bought a Nintendo DS lite and understand that I can get what you call R4 which as I understand it is a piece of equipment to copy games to? please correct me if I'm wrong any where. I have looked on consoleup.com can some one tell me please what I need to get and what size chip should I get for DS games and how I use it.:confused:

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks in advance

Tikker
December 16th, 2007, 09:02
without being sarcastic at all, spend a bunch of time googling

I'd recommend r4, m3, ezflash 3-1

do some reading at gbadev.org. bunch of great homebrew games there

ds-scene is good too

kaz46
December 17th, 2007, 16:12
Hi Tikker,
Thanks very much for the info.
I am looking, this site was recommended to me for help, but Ill take a look at the sites you suggested as well as I said Im new to all this and don't want to spend a load of money on either the wrong stuff for the job. as you said you would recommend r4, m3, ezflash 3-1 what are they? I have no idea except for the r4.
Cheers

Tikker
December 17th, 2007, 22:28
that's why i said to google them ;)

they're all different flavours of flash carts

go to their home pages, do some reading, then when you have a bit of an idea, c'mon back with specific questions

beetroot bertie
December 17th, 2007, 23:46
The R4 is a good little device. It's pretty simple to use too. If you decide to buy it also get a 2GB Micro SD Card from somewhere. They're quite cheap and 2GB is plenty of space.

The R4 comes with a USB adapter so all you do is pop the SD card into the adapter and plug the adapter in a USB port on your computer. You then just drag and drop your homebrew games or media (mp3 files or video in DPG format) from your computer to the Micro SD card, put that in your R4, then put that in your DS and boot up.

It's pretty simple and works a treat. I've enjoyed some top DS homebrew games thanks to it and it really has expanded the functionality of my DS. Moonshell (which comes with it) is good for playing tunes and vids too.

Tikker
December 18th, 2007, 15:08
SvSIP is great too (turn your DS into phone)

I also played the crap out of tower defense, and quake ;)