PDA

View Full Version : N64 emulation possible?

gimpyjr
July 24th, 2005, 23:15
will N64 emulation ever be possible on the PSP?

we have seen remarkable strides in the scene since it began. with a PSX emu on the way, Im thinking that if that's possible than N64 isn't far behind.

Tell me if you think so and let's see if/how we can make it happen!

shadowprophet
July 25th, 2005, 01:12
Well of corse it wi--- no never mind ive got this dejavu feeling like this could be one of those really long flamey threads.. If i go to explaining why its completely possible for an n64 emu to be done on psp:p .
So just settle for nope its never gonna happen, give it up lol :p

gimpyjr
July 25th, 2005, 04:58
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. yes of course we will see an emulator for N64 on the horizon. I would like anyone with any ideas on how to make this happen to post on this thread. If anyone has a project in development or just an idea in their head, tell us about it. The way to get a 64 emu on the PSP is collaboration and team effort with our fellow board members. I started this thread for a simple purpose and that is to get us working together, and showing what that little hand-held of ours can really do.

gimpyjr
July 25th, 2005, 05:09
We need lots of help to get an N64 emulator project moving. We know obviously that a port of an exsisting emulator wont work well enough, so we will need to work from the ground up.

Anyone with PSP Dev/homebrew experience please give us your input, and help us to get a project going.

I would like to give a shoutout to Y and Sougen. Any collaboration/input between/from you two would be a great help to the goal of bringing N64 to PSP

xuphorz
July 25th, 2005, 05:19
I would like anyone with any ideas on how to make this happen to post on this thread.

very dumb, but would work if possible
replace the psp firmware with n64's firmware

shadowprophet
July 25th, 2005, 05:23
Wouldnt it be very possible to emulate the n64's hardware within the psps clock range ? If so no firmware replacements would be necessary . and even if that wasnt possible, some of the more snizzly games could be ported. theres always options brother:p . I mean lets face it if you assumeing the n64 has some sort of super firmware. this can all be worked around. I mean if it was all that necessary. the emulated hardware could have the firmare altered or striped away completely. and the roms patched to run on a psp. but nothings impossible. and as long as somtings not impossible its likely to happen some day.

CallMeSuesin
July 25th, 2005, 07:44
I dont see it as a very good idea, I mean just think about the control problems.
I'm worried enough about the PSX, everyones so excited about the idea of running these emu's has anyone created a solution for the fact that you only have so many buttons on the PSP?
I imagine the triggers would be left the same but what about Z? and with only the basic four buttons how could A,B and the 4 Cs be covered.

PSP_Newbie
July 25th, 2005, 08:47
well, a possible solution might be this:
in most games i played for the N64, u either only use the D-Pad(rare) or only use the analog stick(much more often), but not both. a possibility might be to use the analog nub as the control stick, and the d-pad as c buttons, or vice versa
anyways, just a possibility^^

gimpyjr
July 25th, 2005, 08:54
im not worried about controls at all. If you remember, The origonal PSX controllor didn't even have analog or shoulder buttons. But let's not get off topic. The goal here is to discuss how N64 emulation can be done on PSP not if. We know it's possible. The PSP's hardware is more than capable of handleing N64 emulation.

In regards to controls, the PSP's arrow keys can be used as the yellow buttons on the 64 conrollor seeing as how hardly any games utilized the 64's arrow keys. X and O on the PSP could be used as A and B while Z could be square or triangle. Of course analog would be analog stick on the PSP.

Controllor schemes are the least of our worries at this point. What we need is to get the ball roling on figuring out how to use the PSP's 3D hardware. Isn't someone working on that for PSP one that new Playstation emulator?

let's get some ideas rolling guys :-)

P.S. Thanks for all the input :-)

Kaiser
July 25th, 2005, 09:12
The PSP's hardware is more than capable of handleing N64 emulation.

No It is not. Sorry to destory your wishful thinking. It might "work" but not enough for any games to be playable and even freeware roms would be like 4 or 5 fps. Running a playstation emulator is probably as far as we'll get with the PSP. The PSP just doesn't have any more power to spare. Why contemplate over control issues when it just does not matter.

end of discussion I'm sorry

Also why must everyone ask the same questions over and over again.

gimpyjr
July 25th, 2005, 09:24
don't doupt that it can be done. Just a few weeks ago somone was saying how PSX would never be possible to emulate on a PSP and look what happened we got PSP one!

also if the Gamepark 32 can emulate the PSX than what stops the PSP, a handheld with way more power from emulating the N64.

Remember all it takes is patience and persistance :-)

plus we haven't even got the full potential of the hardware unlocked yet. The key is time my friends. Time and teamwork. :-)

quzar
July 25th, 2005, 17:37
Because the PSP doesn't have 'way more power'. The biggest reason it isn't possible is because of ram constraints. The Memory Stick interface is VERY slow, so even if reasonably fast emulation was possible (it might be by creating an interesting hybrid of a pure parser and dynamic recompiler) then the file reading would hold it back.

Another issue would be the fact that the N64 is many times more powerful than the PSX. The N64 uses a processor that is in the same family, but newer in the line (like comparing a p2 to a p4) AND is clocked at 3x the speed.

very dumb, but would work if possible
replace the psp firmware with n64's firmware

It's especially dumb because even if it were possible, it wouldn't work like that. ALSO the N64 doesn't have a bios (or firmware).

I don't doubt that an N64 emulator will come out for the psp. I know that it will never be playable.

gimpyjr
July 25th, 2005, 19:49
Pacmanfan created a zip format for PSPone to zip the roms and it made reading off the memory stick considerably faster. With more development of this format, im sure that it will get better/faster. I know that's made for PSP one, but it could be adapted to work with a 64 emulator. And as you just said a recompiler would help. I think instead of saying 64 emulation will never be full speed we should try and see what we CAN do to get one going let alone full speed. You have to start small and work your way up.

quzar
July 25th, 2005, 20:06
Pacmanfan created a zip format for PSPone to zip the roms and it made reading off the memory stick considerably faster. With more development of this format, im sure that it will get better/faster. I know that's made for PSP one, but it could be adapted to work with a 64 emulator. And as you just said a recompiler would help. I think instead of saying 64 emulation will never be full speed we should try and see what we CAN do to get one going let alone full speed. You have to start small and work your way up.

you also have to be realistic when it is apparent. pacmanfan didn't create a zip format, he literally just zipped the disc image with gzip and used the same thing to access it and unzip the needed files from the zip. This works because the playstation read individual files as opposed to a full rom image. even by zipping the rom, you can't use it the same way because there is no real I/O to inidcate certain portions of the rom to be used at certain times, the whole rom has to be accessable in nanoseconds all the time.

also, stop saying we. it is insulting to those who would actually be doing work, unless you are implying that you are actually gonna be the one writing up the recompiler for the mixed generations of mips.

Cap'n 1time
July 25th, 2005, 21:22
oh god... how do you people come up with this stuff. an n64 emulator is probably not possible- at least a playable one. and there is no point in trying to get ideas on this forum on how to do it. this is like the 1000th topic on an n64 emulator on psp and everyone of them is always the same. if it is done, it wont be worth it. seeing a nintendo 64 emulator on psp is about as likely as seeing it on dreamcast.

gimpyjr
July 25th, 2005, 21:30
Good point guys. If it does happen, we will still be happy to see it happen even if it aint playable it's still a good concept.

THREAD CLOSED!!!!!

quzar
July 25th, 2005, 23:02
someone thinks they have power =P.

thread closed.