PDA

View Full Version : Yabause 0.9.2 - Sega Saturn Emulator for Windows and Dreamcast

wraggster
December 16th, 2007, 23:34
News of a new release from the Yabause Team (http://yabause.org/download/):

This release fixes a number of serious bugs and adds a memory search function to the Windows port. The Windows, Linux and Dreamcast ports are already up along with the source package. The Mac port should be available soon.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Shin_DNA
December 29th, 2007, 13:30
I'm rather new at this. How does it work? Do I burn it in a cd, boot it on DC, and then put my saturn game? Plus I basicly wanted this for 2 games: Baku Baku Animal and Waku Waku 7, are they compatible?

Thanks in advance.

JKKDARK
December 29th, 2007, 16:32
Don't expect playable speed, too slow.

Shin_DNA
December 30th, 2007, 04:13
That seems to be a problem... Well but how does it work? Do I burn the emulator on a cd first? Or do I burn a cd with the emulator and rom/iso? Well if it is an iso... I have to burn it on a single cd... I think I pretty much answered my on question :P

BlueCrab
December 30th, 2007, 21:38
Yabause for the DC is meant to play the original discs. The DC port does not support running things from ISOs (due to the fact that I feel it is pointless on a system where there is no hard drive).

Zin0099
January 2nd, 2008, 08:37
is there any way to play a saturn game from the hard drive?

Shin_DNA
January 3rd, 2008, 14:01
Yabause for the DC is meant to play the original discs. The DC port does not support running things from ISOs (due to the fact that I feel it is pointless on a system where there is no hard drive).

I don't quite get it... So you say it's pointless to make a emulator that plays ISOs burned on a cd. But the DC plays ISOs of DC games, if you have a Boot Disk... Are you expecting people to buy Saturn games at this point in life? If I have to buy Saturn games might as well buy a Saturn, meaning, the whole Saturn emulator for Dreamcast is now useless...

BlueCrab
January 3rd, 2008, 15:38
is there any way to play a saturn game from the hard drive?

On Windows/Linux/Mac OS X, you can use an ISO of the game you want to play. I've never used this method myself, but its possible.

I don't quite get it... So you say it's pointless to make a emulator that plays ISOs burned on a cd. But the DC plays ISOs of DC games, if you have a Boot Disk... Are you expecting people to buy Saturn games at this point in life? If I have to buy Saturn games might as well buy a Saturn, meaning, the whole Saturn emulator for Dreamcast is now useless...

I said its pointless to make an emulator that plays ISO files burned on a disc. I stand by that statement. I also stand by my principles that people should use emulation for legal purposes, so that means using their original discs. While I can not physically prevent people from using an ISO that they burnt to a cd to make it look just like a Saturn game (minus the copy protection ring, of course), I will not support it.

And yes, I do expect people to use original games with Yabause, as it is the only legal way to do it. If you're too cheap to pay about two dollars for a Saturn game, then you're on your own with getting them to work on Yabause. I refuse to support piracy in my releases. That is exactly why the ISO support is gone, and why I won't support people who use "backups" of Saturn games.

Issues like this are why in general, I don't like to work on emulators. However, they are wonderful feats of programming, and very interesting to work on/study, and that's why I continue working on them.

Shin_DNA
January 3rd, 2008, 18:26
Well, I do understand your point, but it's like... for my case, I only wanted 2 games, just checked Waku Waku 7 and it costs about 40 bucks, plus the whole trip to come here to Portugal... I don't think so. I can't even find Baku Baku Animal. So... before you call people cheap... please research the avaiability of Saturn games first :\

Besides that, I really understand your point. I normally like to try games before I buy them. But for old games... I don't do that much...

BlueCrab
January 3rd, 2008, 19:00
Well, I do understand your point, but it's like... for my case, I only wanted 2 games, just checked Waku Waku 7 and it costs about 40 bucks, plus the whole trip to come here to Portugal... I don't think so. I can't even find Baku Baku Animal. So... before you call people cheap... please research the avaiability of Saturn games first :\

Besides that, I really understand your point. I normally like to try games before I buy them. But for old games... I don't do that much...

I'm not saying that you're cheap, but I'm saying that I don't support doing anything illegal with my programs.

Shin_DNA
January 6th, 2008, 03:45
So... Let me get this straight. Yabause 0.9.2 for Dreamcast doesn't play burned games? Or you don't approve it?

Also, there are some games that aren't present in the compatibility list, does that mean that the emulator simply isn't compatible with them? Or they haven't been tested yet?

I just wanted to play some Saturn games on my Dreamcast... Wasn't exactly expecting to have to buy old and rare games... Can't you cut us some slack? (by us I mean that I'm pretty sure there are more people like me). Like I said I understand your reasons... But frankly, isn't the Dreamcast one the only one that doesn't play burned games? What's the point then?

Well, best regards, thanks for an awesome way to make a Dreamcast more fun, keep up the good work and give this some thought please.

BlueCrab
January 6th, 2008, 12:40
So... Let me get this straight. Yabause 0.9.2 for Dreamcast doesn't play burned games? Or you don't approve it?

Also, there are some games that aren't present in the compatibility list, does that mean that the emulator simply isn't compatible with them? Or they haven't been tested yet?

I just wanted to play some Saturn games on my Dreamcast... Wasn't exactly expecting to have to buy old and rare games... Can't you cut us some slack? (by us I mean that I'm pretty sure there are more people like me). Like I said I understand your reasons... But frankly, isn't the Dreamcast one the only one that doesn't play burned games? What's the point then?

Well, best regards, thanks for an awesome way to make a Dreamcast more fun, keep up the good work and give this some thought please.

As I have continuously said, I do not support playing burned games in Yabause for the Dreamcast. There is no physical way I can prevent it, but I do not support it. I don't see any need to say anything on that subject other than that.

To answer your second question, it means they haven't been tested by the Yabause team, most likely. If you want to try a game, try it. I won't guarantee it'll work, or that it won't.

As for the rest of your post, as I have said before, I do not support people doing anything illegal with my programs. If you wish to carry out illegal activities, you're on your own if something doesn't work right.

Shin_DNA
January 6th, 2008, 15:32
Oh, ok, that clarifies things for me :P

So I just have to burn Yabause on a cd right? I suppose it works like a boot disc...

Anyway, if I try any game that isn't on your list I'll be sure to tell you how it went.

Thanks a lot, really :)

BlueCrab
January 6th, 2008, 21:28
Oh, ok, that clarifies things for me :P

So I just have to burn Yabause on a cd right? I suppose it works like a boot disc...

Anyway, if I try any game that isn't on your list I'll be sure to tell you how it went.

Thanks a lot, really :)

Yes, it works like a boot disc. Follow the directions in the README, and burn it with your favorite method of selfbooting.

Note, however, that the DC version of Yabause has a few limitations beyond the Linux/Mac/PC versions (the main one is that NiGHTS will "crash" the DC version (its not a bug, it is doing what I told it to do, due to some feature that NiGHTS uses that I haven't supported yet on the DC version)).

jackburton01
January 10th, 2008, 21:21
Can anyone please help me copy this for DC do i just burn the .bin file onto a cd?
Im kinda new tot he old DC homebrew PSP is v easy compared to discs etc

Thanks in advance
J

RockinB
January 19th, 2008, 10:41
Any chance that yabause will support windows, soon? I'd really need it for Police Officer Smith, a render graphic adventure I'm working on.

BlueCrab
January 19th, 2008, 19:05
Yabause has had a Windows version for a long time now (almost as long as the Dreamcast version).

RockinB
January 26th, 2008, 07:18
Yabause has had a Windows version for a long time now (almost as long as the Dreamcast version).

Oh sorry, I meant if it will support VDP2 windows? It's a graphic processor function that I use to blend over from one image to another. For each scroll, I can set whether it is to be displayed inside or outside the window region (rectangular, set with topleft and bottomright coordinates). There are multiple windows possible.

Will that feature be present in a future yabause version?

SwankeyMonkey
October 25th, 2009, 09:37
Brotha', I am with ya. I fully support gamemakers for their hardworked art. And try to financially support their effort in its season, not out of the discount bin. And especially all things SEGA. I have a collection of over 200 Saturn games, and over 150 Dreamcast games. I have no need for the "backup" thing. I wanted to find an emulator to play my excellent Saturn games through my custom Dreamcast arcade cabinet. And since there is no Saturn adaptor for my X-Arcade controller, emulation through my Dreamcast was the best option to my understanding. Now all I need is your help in getting your Emulator to work for me. Since I'm an absolute file noob, I really don't know where to go with your download. Am I making a bootdisc? Do you have a step by step FAQ to assist me in my pursuit of SEGA bliss? Any and all of your help is greatly appreciated.