PDA

View Full Version : "PSP Killer" Pandora Revealed

argor
December 20th, 2007, 23:54
For nearly a year now the rumours of a new console to take over from the GP2X have been discussed but no concrete and confirmed details that is until now, heres the fully confirmed specs:

ARM® Cortex™-A8 CPU with 1Gb of RAM
800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
OpenGL 2.0 compliant 3D hardware
Wifi 802.11b/g
Dual SDHC card slots
Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
TV output
High Speed USB Host

The name of the new console is to be called Pandora, heres a piccie of the console.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5825/panlayoutsz7.th.png (http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=panlayoutsz7.png)

Is this the future of homebrew, the next generation discuss this via comments

Anonymous D
December 21st, 2007, 01:09
so this is the mystery handheld they were talking about. looks quite....confused to me, im intrigued as to how all those controls are fitted onto the machine and what the final size is.
looks sort of DS sized to me, mb slightly larger.

wraggster
December 21st, 2007, 01:13
a very powerful handheld console

CoderX
December 21st, 2007, 01:27
Lets look at it this way, people say the PSP is confused as to what it is meant to do.

This little toy, while a true power house, Apairs not only to be confused but completly lost in a very deep and dark hole.

Great Power, really really bad design!!!

-LOL, I love the fact that it has more ram than the XBOX-360 which has 512mb
I wonder what they will do with it?

HeLL_RaiSeR101
December 21st, 2007, 01:28
rofl such a fake look at the picture the buttons were photoshoped in horribly i might add and thats obviously a Modded Ds picture and its cut of at the top to add a sense of wonder whats up there if it ends or not and to block some of the DS feel.... frankly if it was placed in my hand id belive it but as far as it looks now its a fake...

XDelusion
December 21st, 2007, 01:28
Who do I have to kill to get one!?!!??!

argor
December 21st, 2007, 01:41
rofl such a fake look at the picture the buttons were photoshoped in horribly i might add and thats obviously a Modded Ds picture and its cut of at the top to add a sense of wonder whats up there if it ends or not and to block some of the DS feel.... frankly if it was placed in my hand id belive it but as far as it looks now its a fake...
if it is color is width then you cal it ds:rolleyes: pandora is real and it is coming out spring 2008

ICE
December 21st, 2007, 01:42
Does that picture look a tad fake to anyone else?

HeLL_RaiSeR101
December 21st, 2007, 01:44

just a tad lol... i bet anything if i searched for a hour on the internet i could find every element of that picture.... besides what was created by hand... and do u notice the white background... lol SHINANAGANS

Safari Al
December 21st, 2007, 01:46
if that picture is the concept art of the new console, i'm terribly disappointed

argor
December 21st, 2007, 01:47
i like to cored you it is not a picture it is a 3d rendirg

ICE
December 21st, 2007, 01:48
if that picture is the concept art of the new console, i'm terribly disappointed

If its concept art then they need a new conceptional artist...

Da_ALC
December 21st, 2007, 01:50
Personally, I do think this image is fake or a very sketchy early concept rendering.
For one thing if the lid were to close the d-pad would be pressing right up against the speaker. and forcing the lid open slightly.

I like to hope that the pandora itself is no fake idea, but im pretty sure this rendering is not right, and if it is fake then its likelly that the specs are fake to.

All we can do is wait and see!

argor
December 21st, 2007, 02:01
Personally, I do think this image is fake or a very sketchy early concept rendering.
For one thing if the lid were to close the d-pad would be pressing right up against the speaker. and forcing the lid open slightly.

I like to hope that the pandora itself is no fake idea, but im pretty sure this rendering is not right, and if it is fake then its likelly that the specs are fake to.

All we can do is wait and see!
it is real just goto gp32x.com see over 300 pages abot pandora is being made by gp2x distributor of the uk and Germany
also see http://www.openpandora.org/ it just did go online today

Safari Al
December 21st, 2007, 02:08
it is real just goto gp32x.com see over 300 pages abot pandora is being made by gp2x distributor of the uk and Germany
also see http://www.openpandora.org/ it just did go online today

sorry to disappoint you but while the project itself is very real, the picture is just a concept of what they want it to be (*slaps head*) made in photoshop most likely

wolfpack
December 21st, 2007, 02:11
hopefully itll look sleeker and smoother than this... this almost looks like i could get cuts just by touching the jagged sides of the handheld

Shadowblind
December 21st, 2007, 02:12
By looking at the size of the keys and speakers in comparison to the letter size, I think i can safely say this is small enough to make me want it :) it does look sleek. That picture just shows it really crappily.

Those dual joysticks look niiiiiiice....

argor
December 21st, 2007, 02:14
sorry to disappoint you but while the project itself is very real, the picture is just a concept of what they want it to be (*slaps head*) made in photoshop most likely

Some devs are getting PCBs in the next week or two.:cool:

if like to see some parts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFhhctm9LqY

http://pandora.bluwiki.com/

NyghtcrawleR
December 21st, 2007, 02:25
To me it looks like like balls to have to actually play with. The controls layout looks terrible.

ep260
December 21st, 2007, 02:45
haha, that picture is so faked. Also, looking at the specs, if this ever does come out it definitely won't be cheap.

argor
December 21st, 2007, 03:21
MWeston posted some renders for more goto openpandora.ca
http://openpandora.ca/photogallery/photo19169/pand281107_02.jpg
the resone that only renders kave bin posted even thru the hardware is readi is that the The final plastic- molds are not made yet

osgeld
December 21st, 2007, 04:27
if you copy the image into a paint program and zoom in its an obvious rendering

the letters on the keyboard are crooked and everthing else is just WAY too sharp edged and clean to be a photo

course that doesnt mean its fake, just means they havent got a case for it finalized

bah
December 21st, 2007, 06:42
Worse concept art ever. Its obviously a quick photoshop job, I just hope that isnt the final design.

Yeah, I want to hold my hands incredibly awkwardly right at the top of the screen to use the game controls....

With those specs you would think it would be bigger than a DS, but you couldn't use those controls at all if it was.

ICE
December 21st, 2007, 06:46
If thats what it will look like I, for one, will not be buying one. The controls are horribly misplaced and it will most likely be overpriced or rather out of my range anyway.

Veskgar
December 21st, 2007, 06:46
Are you serious? That was really supposed to be a PSP Killer? It reminds me of the ancient laptops from like the mid 90's. What would I rather carry with me and whip out for gaming... THAT? Or a Slim PSP?

I'll take the Slim PSP over that horrific design. This can't be serious. Maybe a joke or VERY early concept design.

Does it want to be a laptop or a handheld homebrew/gaming console?

bah
December 21st, 2007, 07:04
Its like a portable version of the Jaguar controller, (http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/jaguar.jpg) only even worse.

Mmmmm, those are some poorly thought out ergonomics.

Eyedunno
December 21st, 2007, 08:32
I for one think this looks good. The keyboard is maybe a bit of overkill, but a homebrew console should have more buttons than a regular console. Plus the processing power combined with the fact that this likely won't be crippled like the PSP mean it should be good for all manner of homebrew and emulation. It seems like this has more than enough power to emulate N64 and PlayStation, along with likely being able to handle even the trickier parts of SNES emulation.

I do kind of wish they'd reconsider on the keyboard. Just a few extra buttons down there combined with the touchscreen would seem to be enough. I'll probably buy one anyway though, if the price is right (roughly comparable to PSP).

nr.56
December 21st, 2007, 10:11
Are you serious? That was really supposed to be a PSP Killer? It reminds me of the ancient laptops from like the mid 90's. What would I rather carry with me and whip out for gaming... THAT? Or a Slim PSP?

I'll take the Slim PSP over that horrific design. This can't be serious. Maybe a joke or VERY early concept design.

Does it want to be a laptop or a handheld homebrew/gaming console?

This handheld is as large as the gp2x, therfore much more mobile than a laptop. No chance for psp hardwarewise: maybe sauerbraten on the go! :thumbup:

Da_ALC
December 21st, 2007, 11:48
Wow there is way to many ppl in here who have obviously never used photoshop in their lives and have no idea what its for.
Looking at all those renderings, the modeller needs shooting have you seen the buttons stuck on the back!? Looks like the Z button on the cube but worse. Im no pro but I could modell and texture the same thing looking actually real...

Now concidering the Asus Eee is only 250 quid then this shouldnt be that expencive at all.
We all know the DS is overpriced for whats in it... and look at how cheap the Gizmondo was for the power it had, so I do think the specs look plausable.
But, having said that, there is no copywrite info or anything at all for that matter on the OpenPandora.org/ca site, or on any of the renderings, which does make me think that this is all spoof info.
Im not denying that the pandora is in existance, but I rekon all of this is a wind up by somebody totally unrelated to Gampark.

gelon
December 21st, 2007, 12:25
OMG! Next time cut better the D-PAD ...

Worst photoshop work i've ever seen (not really, but is BAAAAAD work)

argor
December 21st, 2007, 12:28
Wow there is way to many ppl in here who have obviously never used photoshop in their lives and have no idea what its for.
Looking at all those renderings, the modeller needs shooting have you seen the buttons stuck on the back!? Looks like the Z button on the cube but worse. Im no pro but I could modell and texture the same thing looking actually real...

Now concidering the Asus Eee is only 250 quid then this shouldnt be that expencive at all.
We all know the DS is overpriced for whats in it... and look at how cheap the Gizmondo was for the power it had, so I do think the specs look plausable.
But, having said that, there is no copywrite info or anything at all for that matter on the OpenPandora.org/ca site, or on any of the renderings, which does make me think that this is all spoof info.
Im not denying that the pandora is in existance, but I rekon all of this is a wind up by somebody totally unrelated to Gampark.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/20/gp2x-community-system-dubbed-pandora/

December 21st, 2007, 13:53
that is soo fake. I doubht they could fit the hardware in it. If they did fit them in it would be the size of a Laptop or an X-box. It is oviously a photoshoped ds. Photoshop can do a lot of amazine things like this!http://cipha.de/zsblog/wp-content/images/ds_katze.jpg

nr.56
December 21st, 2007, 14:54
that is soo fake. I doubht they could fit the hardware in it. If they did fit them in it would be the size of a Laptop or an X-box. It is oviously a photoshoped ds. Photoshop can do a lot of amazine things like this!

It IS Photoshop, because there is no prototype of the Handheld. The hardware specificatons are given. That is all. What I do not understand in this case: what the hell should be fake? It is a Photoshop picture of a handheld with a release date in spring next year. :p
Time to sell the PSP!!!!! :D

argor
December 21st, 2007, 14:56
http://openpandora.ca/images/pand031207_02.jpg:cool:

koh-kun
December 21st, 2007, 15:29
it's so... ugly

argor
December 21st, 2007, 15:44
it's so... ugly

persoly i thing it look beter in red ;)
http://openpandora.ca/images/pand281107_04.jpg

unpure
December 21st, 2007, 16:34
Well while the concept art may be fake it doesn't look like the project is
just look at this WHOis (http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=openpandora.org).
[quote=Admin Organization:]gp2x Shop[/url].
To me it seems there is definitely SOMETHING called pandora coming out...

Dr. Valentine
December 21st, 2007, 16:34
man...

I'm not sure you guys know what photoshop does, but this isn't it. This is full CGI - and it's not trying to fool you.

The veracity of the image isn't even the point of this discussion. That said...

That youTube video that was posted of the analog button looks pretty cool, but I do agree that the layout looks a tad wonky. I can't imagine this doing all that well because it's a company nobody's heard of and it doesn't look particularly sexy.

All the specs in the world won't make people buy it if it's uncomfortable to hold or it they are embarrassed to whip it out in public.

bah
December 21st, 2007, 17:39
Those analogue nubs in the middle are going to be awfully hand-cramping to use.

acn010
December 21st, 2007, 17:51
you wanna know whats the real psp killer????
www.oqo.com
get one before promo expires ;)

yaustar
December 21st, 2007, 18:00
It is 1 GigaBIT ram which is 128 MegaBYTE of RAM. That little detail is now rectified. The concept render is just a mock-up render. Yes, it does look poor, now can we move on? Don't forget, we have no concept of scale of this. It can very well be the same size as the DS or the size of a brick.

The OGO is well over £1500 where as this console is going to be ~£200-£250. Not much of a killer if it isn't in the same market bracket.

@bah: Depending on the scale of the picture, it could be but try putting your thumbs in that position on a DS, it actually is in a decent position.

acn010
December 21st, 2007, 18:03
yet again its a micro computer almost the same size of the psp...
also yet again, its a expensive machine, but it is worth it ;P

yaustar
December 21st, 2007, 18:08
You are comparing two very different devices (PSP and a portable PC) aimed at two distinct markets for two very distinct tasks.

I can't imagine always carrying a £1500 device wherever I go to play games in public without the fear of breaking something so expensive or fear of getting it stolen.

I might as well put up a sign "Mug me now".

Seriously what is so special about it? There are no gaming controls so I can't imagine playing emulators on it. PC games generally are Keyboard and mouse based so playing something like Quake 3 properly while trying to hold it sounds near impossible.

argor
December 21st, 2007, 18:20
scale of pandora
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2235/2127299016_06e6722a46.jpg

csd-san
December 21st, 2007, 18:21
Scale and render aside, I hate how much plastic is around the screen, I think that makes it look the tackiest above all else. If it were possible, I'd like to see the entire unit as wide as the screen, with the controls squished horizontally to fit. And maybe the speakers moved to the lower half, as well.

That'd be sexy enough for me.

acn010
December 21st, 2007, 18:21
You are comparing two very different devices (PSP and a portable PC) aimed at two distinct markets for two very distinct tasks.
i was just comparing size of the two devices man... calm down.

everyone has their own opinions, period.

yaustar
December 21st, 2007, 18:29
i was just comparing size of the two devices man... calm down.

everyone has their own opinions, period.
No, you said it was a PSP-Killer. I gave my reasons why it is not since you keep going on about it in every thread where the word 'PSP-Killer' appears.

You are right, everyone has their opinions, I am clearly expressing mine.

GPeter7
December 21st, 2007, 18:45
ha ha ha :rofl: it's a monster DS :rofl:

Shadowblind
December 21st, 2007, 20:19
It is 1 GigaBIT ram which is 128 MegaBYTE of RAM.

Oh..haha...thats cheap. I still want one though. It would be very nice for emulation, even with that amount of RAM. The two joysticks don't look THAT bad. But that scale picture looks weird...the lighting is odd.

eatnooM
December 21st, 2007, 20:39
Um, ignore this post, I just noticed there was another page of comments, on which what I said was already said, and in a better fashion. :)

ab9003
December 22nd, 2007, 12:54
Ds meets PSP, meets computer all in one in a sleek small size. Very nice!

showka
December 22nd, 2007, 17:57
Here's hoping this project actually becomes a reality. I'll believe in it for now in the spirit of Christmas.

My only qualm with it right now is the placement of the analog sticks. Won't you really have to stretch out your thumb to use them? I wish they could be put below or above the d-pad and the buttons, but I guess then there'd be no room for the QWERTY keyboard.

Googling it is difficult thanks to all the other tech stuff named "Pandora." They should have chosen a more unique name!

nr.56
December 22nd, 2007, 21:26
Here's hoping this project actually becomes a reality. I'll believe in it for now in the spirit of Christmas.

My only qualm with it right now is the placement of the analog sticks. Won't you really have to stretch out your thumb to use them? I wish they could be put below or above the d-pad and the buttons, but I guess then there'd be no room for the QWERTY keyboard.

Take a nintendo ds and test the position of the analog sticks. The position is really comfortable.

I read the description "monster DS" in this thread. Maybe that is a really good comparison, because the pandora uses the design of the DS (the bestseller handheld of the actual generation) and the power of two (maybe three) psp. Furthermore no need for hacking anything, openGL support, high resolution, support of some of the best homebrew coders and the best community (wich was involved in a open discussion about technical details)... in short: the best handheld ever. :p

Kulawend
December 23rd, 2007, 00:13
Man, this thing is UGLY! It's a good idea, but they need a much better design if they expect to make any sales.

ish420ism
December 23rd, 2007, 05:18
this thing is FUGLY. come on. the nokia n800 looks better. they should take the design form them and improve on it. just add dual analogues

nr.56
December 23rd, 2007, 09:24
I am sorry but I can not understand the stupid discussion about design. Maybe I am too male. The design is ok. You can take it in your hands and you can play. What the **** can be a better design? I am adult, maybe that is the problem. :confused: No need to to splurge with a handheld in school breaks. Important for me is only how looks the software, not the case. The case has to be simple, proof, small and practical. That is all given. Some words about the psp design: Maybe it is nice ... if it is powered off. I do not like the slow, blurry and mirroring screen. That is a apparent design mistake! :p

PS: I own a PSP, GP2X and a DS. The Pandora could be practical as the DS free as the GP2X and powerful as two PSP. Bad deal? :D

bah
December 23rd, 2007, 09:43
Someone at sony should be shot for choosing the PSP's screen.

If it were a photo viewer it would be brilliant, but the response time it just awful.

It still looks better than the gp2sx's screen for most things though. Mixing black with bright colours is really bad as the pixels just cant change fast enough.

yaustar
December 23rd, 2007, 17:09
Don't the problem about design is the patent minefield. This was one of the reasons why a slide-out keyboard was not considered.

PSPdemon
December 24th, 2007, 03:56
Personally, i've looked at the specs a while back of that OQO ( OGO.... whatever ) and for its price and whats on it..... you can get a pretty good laptop with better specs.

Sure, it wont be as small and not exactly pocket fit.... but its just not worth the money for one IMO.

technically, the "Pandora" ( horrid name...lol ) just seems like its trying to combine portable pc with mobile gamming....and its not working... lol

Don't the problem about design is the patent minefield. This was one of the reasons why a slide-out keyboard was not considered.

if im not badly mistaken....didnt i see renders of a slide out keyboard on the site? that looked sexy as hell ( and id probably would have bought one if it would have been that design ) but with the current...it just seems to......meh...

my question is.... even with the patent mindfeild..... there shouldnt have been a problem with a slider keyboard.... atleast as far as i can tell there is many ways around the patent... ( there always has...and always will be loop holes :p )

for now..... ill stick with my 8525 OC'd with emulation goodies ;)

yaustar
December 24th, 2007, 20:53
if im not badly mistaken....didnt i see renders of a slide out keyboard on the site? that looked sexy as hell ( and id probably would have bought one if it would have been that design ) but with the current...it just seems to......meh...
There wasn't one but was discussed early on in the project.

my question is.... even with the patent mindfeild..... there shouldnt have been a problem with a slider keyboard.... atleast as far as i can tell there is many ways around the patent... ( there always has...and always will be loop holes :p )
Patents can be fought over IF you have deep pockets. Most of the time, the larger corporations will take you to court as much as possible and drown you in legal fees.

As for the product, look at how well the Asus EEE PC is selling and how popular the Zaurus was in its prime.

sukhi-2006
May 9th, 2008, 04:38
The pandora isn't an ordinary gaming console it has dual sd slots,keyboard,wi-fi,4.3 screen,internet explorer,600mhz+ processor this console is awesome it's different to any handheld released, don't judge book by it's cover, it's what the machine will do it will be capable many different things

Joe88
May 9th, 2008, 08:45
it most likely fail due to the way it will be marketed compared to other systems like the PSP

just like that other system that was supposed to be a so called "psp killer"

bah
May 9th, 2008, 12:29
None of them ever were 'psp killers' any more than apples are 'orange killers'.

Two very different platforms by design and marketing.

pkmaximum
May 10th, 2008, 02:30
None of them ever were 'psp killers' any more than apples are 'orange killers'.

Two very different platforms by design and marketing.

Nice analogy =)