PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting any emulators working

DCVPBC
February 8th, 2005, 00:54
I've tried making several emulators and none want to work, I've wasted alot of cd's trying and I'm getting frustrated to the point of giving up on the whole idea. I've followed many tutorials from several sites and used the files from those sites and all end up in my "DC Coaster Works" ;D stack of useless cd's. I've tried using Selfboot, DSSB and the NesterDC one with the tutorial included. I always use Nero images with Nero 5.5.5.1 and write at only 2x on a pc with windows 98se. I have done this to make a couple of boot discs and they always work but not the emulators. I have more than enough space on my HD, so thats not the problem. They burn successfully but when I try them in my DC, they get to the orange Sega swirl logo then kick out to the music cd screen, which says there are 2 tracks usually 3-4 mins. but it won't even let me try to play the audio track. And when I tried to put it in my PC to check the disc, it sits there trying to read it over and over with no luck. Anyone know what the problem might be? I'm only trying NesterDC until I get the problem solved if that helps. If you need any other info. just ask. Thanks.

DCVPBC
February 8th, 2005, 07:53
I was wondering if the problem might be either I need to make a TAO Nero image instead of DAO, or I noticed my burner had that "Auto Insert" thing checked and maybe that is the problem??? I would not think this is the problem since I have made boot discs and a homebrew game that work with DAO and the auto insert on. Anyone have any ideas?

Eric
February 8th, 2005, 13:49
Try TAO some people have had those problems and also i have no clue what auto insert is so i couldnt help you there

Darksaviour69
February 8th, 2005, 14:50
use dream inducer, its the best www.sbiffy.com

DCVPBC
February 8th, 2005, 21:53
Thanks, I'll try with dream inducer and TAO. But I'm low on cd's, never used dream inducer and the many tutorials I've read have confused me. What are all the files I need for this? Do I just need a NesterDC sbi and dream inducer or plain files, scrambled, unscrambled, theme?? Thanks again.

curt_grymala
February 9th, 2005, 00:24
You just need SBInducer v4 and the NesterDC SBI. I would suggest getting the NesterDC 6 SBI instead of v7.1.

DCVPBC
February 9th, 2005, 01:12
Cool, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

DCVPBC
February 9th, 2005, 21:28
This is turning out to be a mystery suitable for Columbo.....or possibly Scooby Doo. :P The more I try, the more questions I have.

I used SBInducer v4, NesterDC 6 SBI, made a Nero TAO image......then when I went to burn I got the "Are you sure you want to use DAO" warning.....is that supposed to happen??
Everything I've ever burned has been with DAO and I have never wasted a single cd........until I tried burning these emus......what is so different about the emus?? I've made boot discs, video players, games, music, movies that all worked, why not the emus?? When I tried burning the Nero TAO image I made with SBInducer, it made it to 99% and failed saying something like "You cannot burn this track on this part of the disc with this burner" ??? I thought TAO was the "no mistakes" way of burning, but my burner burns DAO fine and messes up with TAO. ::)
I noticed that while the image was being made, it said "Ip.bin + Boot file were NOT hacked" and "WinCE flag not set in Ip.bin"
Is this the problem?? Am I missing something?

I tried burning the supposed TAO image that SBInducer created with both DAO and TAO.
The DAO one, like all other DAO's I tried, burned successfully but could not be recognized by either my DC or the burner I used to burn it. This makes me think that something is making all the selfboot progs screw up the disc ID.
When I burned it as TAO, as I said, it failed at 99%, but my burner can read it and the folders/files are on the disc. Yet my DC won't load it and only shows one track, almost like it burned the data track first instead of the audio dummy file.
So, I'm stumped.
I have a feeling I'm missing some stupid little prog. that will fix this. ::) I'm willing to waste one more cd(I think 15 coasters is enough >:() and try again if anyone knows what might be wrong. If not, I say Goo'day to selfbooting and try non-sb.....thats pretty much fool proof isn't it??

curt_grymala
February 9th, 2005, 22:08
Try using CDRecord to burn the disc. Avoid Nero altogether.

DCVPBC
February 9th, 2005, 22:16
Which would be the most fool proof, using CDRecord or just making a non-sb, I don't mind having to use a boot disc. I'd just rather have a sb than having to swap discs because I use a VGA box and I hate staring at that "Out of scan range" thing till games boot up in VGA. ::)

DCVPBC
February 9th, 2005, 22:48
Now that I think about it, I don't think I can use CDRecord, I remember reading something about needing to use msinfo or something. Well, I pissed off a mouthy hacker who was messing with a friends site and now I get a message saying that msinfo can't be loaded at startup or something ;D. Is this important and if so, how would I fix it??

curt_grymala
February 10th, 2005, 01:49
Now that I think about it, I don't think I can use CDRecord, I remember reading something about needing to use msinfo or something. Well, I pissed off a mouthy hacker who was messing with a friends site and now I get a message saying that msinfo can't be loaded at startup or something ;D. Is this important and if so, how would I fix it??

msinfo isn't a program, it's a function within CDRecord. You wouldn't get any messages while you're starting up your computer about msinfo.

Using CDRecord would be the most foolproof, since, in order to get a working boot disc, you would have to figure out how to make a selfbooting disc anyway.
;D

DCVPBC
February 10th, 2005, 04:22
Well, I DO get a message saying something about msinfo, two actually, I'll even print screen it and post a pic to prove it. ;D

And as I said before, I've burned a couple of boot discs no problem. I'm completely convinced my problem is with the Selfboot progs. Whether I'm missing something or there's a conflict somewhere, why else would the boot discs burn ok and not the emus? The boot discs I burned where made by someone else and I downloaded and burned the nero image, but when I make anything sb it can't be read by the DC or PC that made it. I don't see how it could possibly be the burner or nero, never had any problems before......or even now as long as the images were made on a different PC.

Darksaviour69
February 10th, 2005, 12:29
did u make a DOA image with inducer, and tried to burn that? thats what i useally do, when i had nero 5, but now i have nero 6 so i use TOA. but i think DOA is better, but if you have nero 6 you have no choice but use TOA.

btw never burn a TOA as a DOA or the other way round, it will not work.

as a test why don't you download Gameboy/Gameboy Color image at dcevo.com (its a GB emu with a load of poblic domain roms) download the cdi image and use cdi2nero to convert it (to a DOA). see if that works....

DCVPBC
February 10th, 2005, 16:08
I deleted all the sb progs from my pc and I'm not gonna download them again just to make another coaster. I've tried 15 different ways and none of them worked so I give up on sb all together at least until I get a new pc, which will probably be a while.

All I need is the NesterDC 6.0 plain files for making a non-sb disc, but I can't find them anywhere, so I might just have to give up on the whole thing. :P

Darksaviour69
February 10th, 2005, 16:28
the first disc is the hardest! don't give up, inducer does work 100s of people use it ( 1000s? )

Q: did you try to make a DOA image with inducer?

DCVPBC
February 10th, 2005, 17:07
I don't even remember I've done so many different ways, thats another reason I just want to make a non-sb, and I'm running out of cd's and I still need to burn my tunes, and this pc is eeeeevil and I am psychic and I know that NO sb programs are going to work on it no matter what.

I'll try the sb stuff a couple more times when I get more cd's but until then, everybody needs to stop trying to get me to use sb programs, starting to feel like you guys are just trying to get me to waste all my cd's. ;D :P

Darksaviour69
February 10th, 2005, 17:30
well in the long run you save cd with dream inducer, Dc Hakker can be used to boot your dc stuff and you can use multi session cds 2 (that mean you can add more to the cd later) but i have never used it
http://www.dchomebrew.org/dchakker.shtml

DCVPBC
February 10th, 2005, 17:46
Ok, now I just need to know where to get the NesterDC 6.0 non-selfboot files....the emulator itself....ready for non-selfboot burning. ;D

curt_grymala
February 10th, 2005, 20:23
If you open up the SBI file for it in WinZip or WinRar, you'll have all the files you need.

DCVPBC
February 10th, 2005, 22:59
Ok, I downloaded NesterDC 6.0 NTSC.sbi, now I need to know how to burn it. I'm pretty sure throwing the inducer folder and roms onto the disc is not the correct way to do it, and do I need to do anything to the .bin file or anything like that(like rename it to 1st_read or whatever)?

Eric
February 11th, 2005, 14:46
you may have to scramble it with some of the tools that are available on this site which someone here will let you know cause i always point in the wrong direction