PDA

View Full Version : What is the best OS to install on a ps3?

Gene
December 25th, 2007, 20:59
I am not quite sure what is the best linux OS to install on my ps3. I have had it for only 5 days now and I'm pretty sure I want to have some sort of linux on it. My question for you is, what is the best OS for my ps3 overall? and also what kind of things can you do that make it the best?

Thanks a ton.

Triv1um
December 30th, 2007, 10:08
Ubuntu, loads of app support (more than any linux distro), with the custom kernel installed you can get WiFi support, bluetooth controller support and other stuff.

rampage
April 3rd, 2008, 08:43
i just got a ps3 myself and i have been experimenting to see if there was a way to play winmugen on ps3. Is there some type of os version of mugen that is compatible with playstation? please let me know

Triv1um
April 3rd, 2008, 13:31
i just got a ps3 myself and i have been experimenting to see if there was a way to play winmugen on ps3. Is there some type of os version of mugen that is compatible with playstation? please let me know

I've read into it for you, no it is not possible yet.

While there is a Linux verison, there isnt a Linux PPC version.

jonezybaby
April 3rd, 2008, 14:37
can any linux (ps3 versions) run emus like snes and genesis (mega drive) if so can sum1 please PM me the best 1 and how 2 get them runnin? thanx in advance

Triv1um
April 4th, 2008, 12:06
Ubuntu can run snes9x.

Get it rigged upto the internet -

Type

$ sudo apt-get install snes9x

It might ask you for a password and stuff, put it in and let it install.

When its installed and you want to play a rom just type -

snes9x /path/to/your/rom.smc

This is to change the options -
http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3020
All the commands are there.

Hope this helps.

murgero1
April 5th, 2008, 06:20
linux or windows XP not vista!

ubuntu is good! try that.,

goity
April 16th, 2008, 20:50
You can't run XP on a ps3... it's powerPC based.

Yellow Dog Linux is the officially supported one by sony, however, it's rubbish in my experience; it's just a pain to use, for example you have to manually mount CDs and Flash memory. I currently use Ubuntu, and it#s way better apart from the shaky wifi support which is an absolute pain to get working, but if you're experienced with Linux you should be okay.

JKKDARK
April 16th, 2008, 21:01
so it's not possible to install any XP or Vista version on the PS3? I'm just curious.

Triv1um
April 16th, 2008, 21:04
so it's not possible to install any XP or Vista version on the PS3? I'm just curious.

No you cannot. There is no PPC windows.

I agree with goity, I am not a YDL fan.

Ubuntu is good, but again agree'd WiFi is a pain in the ass, but you can get it working in about 30mins.

NoQuarter
April 16th, 2008, 21:37
I thought you could virtualize xp on there...
I remember seeing a vid a while ago,could be wrong though and don't feel like checking.
Never tried YDL but am pretty happy with xubuntu on the ps3.It will be better if more programs are written to take advantage of the SPU's.Good thing about ubuntu and linux in general is that there is a ton of documentation,ubuntu's community is very friendly and has come to my rescue many times (especially with my macbook).

I actually installed xubuntu after getting advice from Triv1um,It's lighter on the resources than gnome or kde and you can easily install programs from either window manager.
Hope you have a HDTV though, cause ps3 linux is a pain to look at on SDTV.

EDIT:
I lied,I did feel like looking :P

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Ecr8tWetI