PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 Firmware upgrade

Clare
July 26th, 2005, 07:52
Hia folks,

Well it looks like people who stick to older firmwares will be loosing out on some advanced PSP features soon. Some of the features on the list in the new 2.0 Firware update that will be released on or soon after July the 27th will be:

Built in web browser.

Support for viewing TIF, GIF and BMP's

Background wallpaper

An extra protocol for connecting to wireless LANs - WPA-PSK (TKIP.)

Obviously the two big ones will be the Browser and security protocol. But for a full list of features, visit here (http://psp.ign.com/articles/635/635505p1.html).

TTFN,
Clare.

RedKing14CA
July 26th, 2005, 08:14
clare, why do you feel like reminding me? i dont want to think about that, its SO HARD TO CHOOSE, metal slug/2.00 firmware... hm....

well unless 2.00 has a keyboard and more palm type things, and a camera, then i wont be interested...

Clare
July 26th, 2005, 09:19
Actually wouldn't it be good if it had USB keyboard support. A mini USB keyboard would be kewl!!!!

RedKing14CA
July 26th, 2005, 09:26
that is what a meant, a psp sized keyboard, i really want somehting i can type with on the psp! im a writer!!!

Clare
July 26th, 2005, 09:59
that is what a meant, a psp sized keyboard, i really want somehting i can type with on the psp! im a writer!!!

Something like this would be kewl!!!
http://www.berzerk.eclipse.co.uk/downloads/pspkb.gif
Click Here (http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000930034371/)

Jdemon
July 26th, 2005, 19:39
The only thing that's gonna make me want to upgrade my PSP Firmware is if I have to for newer games that are comming out in the fall like the Star Wars and Marvel games. I think the web browser and that kind of stuff is just a waste on the PSP. I can see pic file types being a nice added feature but don't you think if Sony can do it the hackers/coders won't be far behind?

Clare
July 26th, 2005, 19:49
To be honest, I think you will all upgrade your firmware in the end. Newer PSPs are guaranteed to come out with the latest firmware on them. in 3 years time anyone who doesn't upgrade will be out of date.

I have heard that Sony will eventually introduce more applications into the firmware too.

Imagine this, I don't think the coders are going to be happy with a tiny ammount of people running their software, they will always find a way to crack the system. And I think the built in browser is going to be very tempting.....

GizmoSan
July 27th, 2005, 05:31
hmmm, version 2.0 for more fixes, or version 1.5 for emu with classic gaming portable :D. I'll stick with 1.5 until the developers make it compatible to the new firmware. Which probably won't happen, being as sony is. hehe

sarla1596
July 28th, 2005, 02:14
someone needs to make a homebrew web browser!!! Thats the only thing tempting me to upgrade to 2.0 (when the official US release of the firmware comes out) SO ALL U CRACKERS GET TO IT!!

Viperguy212
July 28th, 2005, 02:43
i just updated mine, web browser works very very well, the bookmarks feature is nice too, overall very very nice update, i rele dun miss my EMU's and games that much, w/e i bet 2.0 will be cracked soon enough

Clare
July 28th, 2005, 07:00
i just updated mine, web browser works very very well, the bookmarks feature is nice too, overall very very nice update, i rele dun miss my EMU's and games that much, w/e i bet 2.0 will be cracked soon enough

Same here, I updated mine last night. And I agree, all the extra features are excelent!

I'm sure with this update, it may spure the hackers on to crack it!

killakirby
July 28th, 2005, 09:14
lol im using psp to write this. V2 psp is awsome! ^^ this is so fun. Get PSP 2.0!!! :) :D

Clare
July 28th, 2005, 09:20
I just found a problem with the update. The WPA-PSK protocol requires a key before it lets you complete the network setup of that connection. Not all WPA-PSK WIFI requires this. i.e. Our works network doesn't require a key but it's authenticated via UserID and Password instead. So I can't use the PSP wireless at work :( . At home is another matter, I have control of my router and can do what I want with that. So it works at home no problems.

I hope Sony fix this in the next firmware release. I have Emailed them about it, lets hope they don't ignore me.

leggy
July 28th, 2005, 21:11
Just installed 2.0 - the browser woks a treat!

Žeddragon
July 28th, 2005, 21:14
to make it go faster. (well I think it goes faster) go to the Internet browser. Click tools then cache settings. Now just up it to 2000 something or turn it off. I think the pages loads up faster...but thats just me lol.

killakirby
July 28th, 2005, 21:28
lol, this time im on the computer. The webrowser can take alot of space on ur memory stick. Set cookies to block all cookies (enless ur doing email or something), Make the cache the highest and put ur fav. websites to ur bookmark. Now, every time u exit, make sure you go delete all cookies, cache files and data the websites gave u. I found out the cookies and files take up a bit of your space on your memory stick. :D