PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii fully hacked for native homebrew

wraggster
December 28th, 2007, 23:48
More on the subject this time via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/28/nintendo-fully-hacked-for-native-homebrew/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/12/wii-hack-homebrew.jpg

The homebrew scene hasn't gotten a whole lot accomplished with this latest round of home consoles -- which isn't surprising given the difficulty of the task and lack of incentives to succeed. Especially with the PS3 shipping with Linux compatibility, the Wii boasting VLC, and the 360 being such a chore to hack and keep hacked, there's really not much of a point. The Wii was compromised pretty early on to be able to play burned discs and GameCube homebrew such as Linux, but until now Nintendo has managed to isolate Wii hardware such as the extra horsepower of the console and wireless connectivity from hackers. But the walls are coming down. Some hackers from Germany have just showed off their fully hacked Wii at the 24th Annual Chaos Communication Congress. Nothing fancy is running yet, all they've achieved so far is a proof of concept that they've bypassed the Wii's protection with some encryption codes they swiped from the Wii's memory. Apparently a bootable Linux DVD is on the way, and we can't wait to see what homebrew coders manage to pull off with that Wiimote pointed where it belongs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H5YB1Mmx7E4

souLLy
December 29th, 2007, 00:19
Amazing news, I can't wait to see what comes from this, will we soon be able to softmod our wiis? will we be able to run emulators? will we have scummvm on the wii? will we have a nice dvd video player released? Beautiful.

ICE
December 29th, 2007, 00:25
Native homebrew without modification? Thats incredible.

CoinCollector
December 29th, 2007, 00:38
will we have scummvm on the wii?

Oh man, that would be SO awesome! The Wii Remote would work so well with the Wii Remote!

I'm so happy because I just got Lego Star Wars for Christmas! This is working out so well!

But I kinda' got the impression that the exploit wasn't through Lego Star Wars, but that it was just the temporary game they were using.

ICE
December 29th, 2007, 01:23
Why does no one care!?!

NoQuarter
December 29th, 2007, 01:36
Wow,I might get a wii now.I don't really care about getting online with it,that's what I have my ps3 for.

Homerun
December 29th, 2007, 03:12
Hello region free wiis soon :O

bah
December 29th, 2007, 06:26
I dont know how much power it takes to do, but I want games that make use of something like this on the actual wii:

Jd3-eiid-Uw

2 sensor bars (one on your head, one in front of the tv) and 2 wii-motes (one in your hand n the other in front of the TV) = Head tracking + wii=mote control (he does it at the end). :)

There has to be ways to take advantage of that, I cant believe something similar hasn't been done on consoles before.

shadowprophet
December 29th, 2007, 08:15
I've been waiting for this for a long long time, Too long, :cool:

Finely :D

Accordion
December 29th, 2007, 14:06
Good news!

sappo
December 29th, 2007, 14:19
Yay! Lots of emulators :D

____anders____
December 29th, 2007, 14:56
YES!
I got a wii yesteday and i would love to use homebrew on it without a modchip.

eatnooM
December 29th, 2007, 15:08
Shocking, I only yesterday decided I'd wait until Chocobo's Dungeon was announced to have some form of release in English and now I have a whole new factor to consider.

Triv1um
December 29th, 2007, 18:41
Shit. Just sold mine because i didnt think this would happen.

TeenDev
December 29th, 2007, 18:54
I really want to get a Wii now....

I wish I coulda gone to 24c3....

DPyro
December 29th, 2007, 20:30
Will be interesting to see where this leads...

the_skip
December 30th, 2007, 02:07
It would be interesting to see if this actually goes anywhere. My hope is to see the gamecube or virtual console controler to run a n64 emulator or even a good snes emulator and I would be very happy. I would also want to see what nintendo thinks of this.

shadowprophet
December 30th, 2007, 12:32
So I began digging on their page and came up with this. here (http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp) Tis a lot of reading. But ultimately To sum it up. They dont like it.
But I suppose it would be a stretch to expect nintendo to like the idea, it would negate their point of locking the wii to begin with :rolleyes:

To sum it up in a nut shell.

Legal Information (Copyrights, Emulators, ROMs, etc.)

Thank you for your interest in Nintendo and our products. This section of our website is designed to answer questions you may have about our Intellectual Property ("IP" for short) rights. Here you will find information on such things as copyrights, use of game emulators, and counterfeit products. Please keep in mind that infringement of Nintendo's IP rights hurts not only Nintendo, but our players and the legitimate businesses connected with Nintendo. Counterfeiting is a serious problem not only for Nintendo but also the entire video game industry. Nintendo will continue to aggressively protect its intellectual property rights.

Forced firmware updates much like the psp I assume...