PDA

View Full Version : Wii Hacking Update

wraggster
December 29th, 2007, 21:34
The 24C3 Conference yesterday broke the news that the Wii has been hacked and Homebrew code can be run in Wii Mode - although when it reaches the Wii community we can only guess

Heres some more info coming out of the conference:

- They got the wii keys, and we could use them without hacking our wii again.
- This hack requires a drive modchip to execute the code.
- There is not any tool to sign the code, but it's coming soon.
- They are working to access to the SD thought EXI.
- There is not any stack homebrew for bluetooth
- A linux port for Wii will be released easily.

All very interesting, a bit of a downer if you still need a modchip installed

DPyro
December 29th, 2007, 23:23
So, if they can access the SD we could run homebrew from there?

souLLy
December 30th, 2007, 00:57
there's all sorts of possibilities coming from this, running homebrew from dvd, sd card, bluetooth, heck even an external hd via usb. Obviously they're at a very early stage, but I'm excited at what could come from this :D

-Xandu-
December 30th, 2007, 17:09
- This hack requires a drive modchip to execute the code.
No softmods yet?

lukeusher123
January 2nd, 2008, 12:53
No softmods yet?

I think a softmod wouldn't be possible on the Wii.
it is the drive itsself that rejects backup media, hence the whole reason for a drive-chip.

Although with the keys it may be possible to have homebrew channels that can be copied from SD card to the wii console.

souLLy
January 2nd, 2008, 18:13
I think a softmod wouldn't be possible on the Wii.
it is the drive itsself that rejects backup media, hence the whole reason for a drive-chip.

Although with the keys it may be possible to have homebrew channels that can be copied from SD card to the wii console.

Again a theoretical idea but if it was possible to load an unofficial channel like this it's feasable that that channel could boot discs without verifying them as official- thus allowing anything to run. Fingers crossed :)

feddon
January 3rd, 2008, 15:16
Even if someone handed me a copy of every wii game id still only player the 4 or 5 i do now ( i own about 15). To me if we can get non-modchip needing homebrew thats the best thing. I still wouldnt get copy games but free emulators etc would be awsome as i refuse to pay for games more then once. VC is like stealing from loyl customers in my eyes. And ive loved the homebrew scene on the numerous other consoles i own.