PDA

View Full Version : PS2 controller to XBox converter - is it any good?

Sabres
January 2nd, 2008, 07:53
Greetings. I really prefer the PS2 dualshock controller over the X-Box controller. I'm interested in buying the device that allows me to use my PS2 controller on my XBox system (there are a few different accessories like this, so i'm not sure which one to get). I'm wondering, has anyone tried this out and if so how was it? Also, did all of the buttons that would be mapped to the xbox controller correspond and respond to the PS2 controller, and were there any issues or problems with the controller if you wanted to reconfigure the button assignments in the game option menu?

Thanks.

Balthasar00
January 2nd, 2008, 09:04
Hi, I bought last summer a PSX/PS2 to Xbox adapter called the X-Joybox.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-gm-49-en-70-1fo.html

Works perfect.

This way, you avoid the crappy xbox D-pad which was a pain for retro emulation gaming. This also come handy if you wana play PSX/PS2 pad on PC. Once plugged in the adapter, the ps2 controller signals become USB friendly and then, you can easily build your self a xbox to usb adapter to plug in PC. I don't have my xbox and neither the device to clarify the controls scheme now. But, if I remember, the black and white buttons were converted to L2 & R2 in xbmc. Also, xbox L & R triggers seams to have pressure sensitive and ps2 don't (not sure) not a big deal anyway.

Happy 2008

Sabres
January 3rd, 2008, 03:56
Hi, I bought last summer a PSX/PS2 to Xbox adapter called the X-Joybox.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-gm-49-en-70-1fo.html

Works perfect.

This way, you avoid the crappy xbox D-pad which was a pain for retro emulation gaming. This also come handy if you wana play PSX/PS2 pad on PC. Once plugged in the adapter, the ps2 controller signals become USB friendly and then, you can easily build your self a xbox to usb adapter to plug in PC. I don't have my xbox and neither the device to clarify the controls scheme now. But, if I remember, the black and white buttons were converted to L2 & R2 in xbmc. Also, xbox L & R triggers seams to have pressure sensitive and ps2 don't (not sure) not a big deal anyway.

Happy 2008

Thanks for the info. When you say that the XBox L and R buttons are pressure sensitive but the PS2 L and R buttons aren't, here's what I'm wondering. If a move requires me to hold down the L button on the XBox controller, will I still be able to do that move by holding down the L button on the PS2 controller?

Balthasar00
January 3rd, 2008, 09:00
Yes, by pressure sensitive I mean like different levels (intensity) of pressure. Example, when applying gaz in recent Gran turismo games. For N64 emulation, I must say that I preferred the Xbox pad but for the rest, I stick to this adapter. I just thought getting myself an old ps1 pad (the ones before analogs) since they where very light and comfortable. There's a comment on the link I gave you saying that theses models had lag issues with the adapter. It may be true, but I'll chek that myself just in case. It would be perfect for long gaming periods especially old-school rpgs.