PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 emulation

vikkevest
January 4th, 2008, 13:55
Hello I just got an xbox 360. I was just wondering what emulators that acctually work on the 360? So far I heard there are only a NES emulator:eek:. If this horrifying fact is true I would like to know if you know if any other emulator is on the way any time soon (snes for example). Thank you!

Eviltaco64
January 27th, 2008, 04:51
Hello I just got an xbox 360. I was just wondering what emulators that acctually work on the 360? So far I heard there are only a NES emulator:eek:. If this horrifying fact is true I would like to know if you know if any other emulator is on the way any time soon (snes for example). Thank you!

As of right now, running any unsigned code on Xbox 360 is extremely difficult (It requires a modded version of the game King Kong, a serial cable, a Linux 360 CD, and an Xbox 360 made before December 2006 that hasnt been upgraded). And the only thing thats been publicly released to run on the 360 is Linux and a NES Emulator with no sound that you need a Media Center computer to run.

But once modchips or some exploit comes out, I'm sure 360 will become an extremely popular homebrew console.

bah
January 27th, 2008, 07:24
I know its not really an answer, but you can pick up a used original xbox for dirt cheap, soft mod it and have a great system for emulation. Xbox Media Center is a truly amazing Open Source/homebrew application also.

Eviltaco64
January 27th, 2008, 10:13
I know its not really an answer, but you can pick up a used original xbox for dirt cheap, soft mod it and have a great system for emulation. Xbox Media Center is a truly amazing Open Source/homebrew application also.

Yeah, I actually bought my Xbox from a friend for about $25. The only negative is that I have to bang on the console to get the DVD Drive to open (its a simple fix), but once you mod it, you hardly use it for games (especially if you own a 360).

Pick one up for about $50-$100, find Tom Clancy's Slinter Cell ($2.99 at Gamestop), A Xbox male to USB Female Cable (I got one for about $7 S&H included), and a compatible flash drive (The cheap method), or find a memory card from somewhere for about $40 or so. Google how to take care of the rest.

Once you figure all that out, you have a pretty cheap multimedia/emulation center. Mario 64 and Smash Bros with a more comftorable controller!

l11l1VeNoM1l11l
July 27th, 2008, 23:25
Eviltaco's right (nice tag, btw).

If you want a good emulation console, the original X-Box is absolutely your best bet. The Dreamcast can't even compete, and the PS2...well the PS2 never did have much to say about anything, in my opinion.

All you need is what he mentioned, and you'll have it modded in less than a half hour. It's just as easy as modding a PSP once you have all of the tools.

The emulators include PS1, N64, SNES, Genesis/CD/32x, NeoGeo (+CD), NES, Gamegear, Master System, MAME, etc.

Google some homebrew games for it too. A great selection (though that is where DC seems to have it crying.)

JKKDARK
July 28th, 2008, 18:31
Xbox is the best for illegal emulation. But Dreamcast is the best in the legal side, and plus you can discuss it on this forum ;)