PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Interview - Question 7 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Handheld?

wraggster
January 6th, 2008, 11:49
http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/dcemu2008.gif

A feature i did a few years ago and one im going to repeat now is the DCEmu Interview, a unique idea in which questions are asked by me to the Whole DCEmu Community its a way to learn more about each others and find out what our interests are and much more

Todays Question is Whats the Greatest Homebrew Handheld? (Thats handheld not console, basically you have a choice of PSP, Nintendo DS, GBA, GBC, GP32, GP2X, Tapwave Zodiac, Nokia Ngage, Gizmondo etc

Give your Answer via Comments.

Remember to check out our DCEmu Interview Site (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/) to catch up on previous DCEmu Interview Questions

The DCEmu Interview - Question 1 - What Consoles Do You Own ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-1-what-consoles-do-you-own--82867.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 2 - Whats Your Favourite Console Of All Time (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-2-whats-your-favourite-console-of-all-time-83029.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 3 - Whats Your New Years Resolution ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-3-whats-your-new-years-resolution--83130.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 4 - What Got you Interested in Homebrew/Emulation ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-4-what-got-you-interested-in-homebrew-emulation--83212.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 5 - Whats the greatest Game Ever ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-5-whats-the-greatest-game-ever--83477.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 6 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Console? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-6-whats-the-greatest-homebrew-console--83559.html)

wraggster
January 6th, 2008, 11:54
this is a bloody hard question, the GBC was in its time a massive console for homebrew as was the GBA infact the GBA has more quality games than any other homebrew console, the tapwave zodiac, gizmondo and Nokia Ngage fizzled out too quickly so were never pushed to the extreme. the gp32 and gp2x are awesome homebrew consoles but it really has to come down to the Nintendo DS vs the PSP. The DS has the better games and a more varied selection but the PSP has the better emulators and custom firmware providing full speed PSX Emulation.

SO for me the PSP just nudges the DSout of the equation.

ojdon
January 6th, 2008, 12:00
Well, the PSP was the first handheld that I had that I found out it was homebrew friendly-ish... The PSP Homebrew community is still going strong and everyday there is at least one "Wow" moment homebrew release.

PSP Homebrew FTW :thumbup:

Justise
January 6th, 2008, 12:08
PSP since it can play almost everything!

goity
January 6th, 2008, 14:02
gp32

Anonymous D
January 6th, 2008, 14:05
psp, the gp2x could be there, but for my experience with it i found it was generally poorly built. plus psp homebrew seems to move a lot faster, maybe because of sonys constant efforts to stop it, but i always found the psp scene a lot quicker to act. also psp homebrew is just a case of putting files on a memory stick, no flash cart needed or other hardware.

____anders____
January 6th, 2008, 14:14
well.. i only own a nintendo ds lite, but it looks like the psp is more homebrew-friendly than the ds.

there's really much homebrew to the ds for download imo, so i vote for the ds because it's the only handheld i own, except gbc but i don't have a flashcart for it or whatever you need to use homebrew apps..

M Dash
January 6th, 2008, 14:49
Definitely PSP.

Maturion
January 6th, 2008, 16:00
PSP or GP2X / GP32.

DS has also some nice and usefull homebrew.

kojiro7
January 6th, 2008, 16:06
PSP vs GP2X.
Cant decide
One more I like and (own) is Ngage because it is a mobile phone too and its very cool

DarthPaul
January 6th, 2008, 16:36
Psp

JKKDARK
January 6th, 2008, 17:24
PSP sadly

Kyros
January 6th, 2008, 17:48
Although I own both the Nintendo DS Lite and the Sony PSP (1000), the Nintendo DS Lite has some of the best handheld games, I wouldn't know about it's homebrew capabilities because I never tried it but in my opinion the Sony PSP is the greatest handheld console and homebrew handheld console and whenever Sony decides to add a phone and hopefully a touch screen to the PSP then it will be by far the greatest ever.

mike_jmg
January 6th, 2008, 18:05
PSP forever

Although GPX2 and GP32 are handhelds specially made for homebrew. One will always want the little spice that the ilegality gives you:p, plus all of the official games you can play.

There's also homebrew for the DS, but I have no Idea how to enable it, I think you need to have a flash cartridge (please tell me if I'm wrong) like on the gba. The PSP wins because you don't need anything extra, to be able to use homebrew (pandora, but mehh), plus a very nice and big LCD screen

mr game porter
January 6th, 2008, 18:15
well. im gonna stick with nintendo ds :D. it has a bunch of great homebrews. never tried psp homebrews tough ,,,

gutbub
January 6th, 2008, 18:42
DS all the way. The games / apps are much more innovative, because the DS is much more innovative. And because of DS organize, is there an app on anything else that also has a homebrew database?

titch.ryan
January 6th, 2008, 20:03
psp just because of the ease of installing homebrew, no need for a flash cart or anything use a memory card and compatible firmware. Also it has lots of great release nearly everyday and tons of decent emulators.

osgeld
January 6th, 2008, 20:42
psp and then the gp32

why? cause you cant just walk into any store and buy a gp32

radi777
January 6th, 2008, 20:44
psp!! I love my PSP

firemaster#1
January 6th, 2008, 20:59
I would say the psp because of all the homebrew on it if not for this system I would of never learned about homebrew and never been able to download all the fantastic homebrew

Gene
January 6th, 2008, 22:06
The Psp has better support for emulation and homebrew because of a much larger user base than the gp2x. Seriously. Have you seen a gp2x gps solution, thats as easy to install as Mapthis!, I know I haven't. So my vote goes to the Playstation Portable, for greatest overall homebrew selection.

ian h
January 6th, 2008, 22:08
lol easy, psp ofcourse!

psp411
January 6th, 2008, 22:24
psp for all... it does everything in terms of emulation/homebrew utilizing its features. Cant beat snes on a nice crisp screen :D :cool:

Fr0sTy
January 6th, 2008, 23:13
Hands Down. Psp.

Balthasar00
January 7th, 2008, 00:13
Obviously, the Gp2x ! PSP homebrew is illegal.

X'D

webalejo
January 7th, 2008, 00:47
Obviously, the Gp2x ! PSP homebrew is illegal.

X'D

my vote goes for the psp, and by the way homebrew is not illegal.

Eviltaco64
January 7th, 2008, 00:49
Psp

jeegee
January 7th, 2008, 00:50
For me its PSP

Got to give massive credit to DS and all earlier Gameboy iterations though, and to the old NOMAD

But PSP does everything i want with everything built in :) CF of course, but SONY fw would prob suffice with games like Wipeout pulse, tekken, etc etc etc etc etc

Balthasar00
January 7th, 2008, 01:01
my vote goes for the psp, and by the way homebrew is not illegal.

The only way to use legal homebrew is to install illegal custom firmware. ;) I think you don't understand the point I am giving here.

Of course the PSP is the handled to get has for now.

KeenCommander
January 7th, 2008, 01:06
PSP no competition, though the DS scene has had some nice releases. Unfortunately it's not nearly as active as on PSP.

SSaxdude
January 7th, 2008, 02:14
PSP hands down. It's the most powerful handheld out there. It doesn't need a flashcard like the DS does. It also has commercial games, which the GP2X doesn't have.

Veskgar
January 7th, 2008, 05:06
The Slim & Lite SONY PSP equipped with Dark_AleX's latest CFW is by far the best handheld solution for homebrew and emulation.

There is no other handheld I'd consider at the moment. The PSP has been exciting for years due to homebrew and there doesn't seem to be any signs of slowdown with secret projects in the works, a new CFW by Dark_AleX on the horizon, great dev teams like Fanjita & Noobz coming back, etc. etc. etc.

Shadowblind
January 7th, 2008, 05:23
PSP. Other consoles may have dominated the homebrew scene at one time, but this is no longer that time.

Petabanana
January 7th, 2008, 18:07
Nintendo DS

jeegee
January 7th, 2008, 20:31
The only way to use legal homebrew is to install illegal custom firmware. ;) I think you don't understand the point I am giving here.
Technically its not illegal to mod the fw on a PSP:cool:

Kazayami
January 7th, 2008, 20:55
DS. It's easier to use because of the touchscreen and therefore has much more capability. Sure, emulators are better on the PSP, but that isn't so much homebrew as stealing a company's code. Homebrew, I think, are applications made from scratch, and the DS wins in that respect.

kcajblue
January 8th, 2008, 01:29
i cant choose a best because all of the homebrew able handhelds do their job and thats good enough for me.

Iceman^2
January 8th, 2008, 01:47
The PSP is probably the best overall.

Eyedunno
January 8th, 2008, 02:16
I only have a DS and a Game Boy Micro, but I also have to say PSP. I hate Sony and refuse to buy one myself, but in terms of pure processing power, it's the clear winner at the moment. Too bad the actual design of the unit (buttons, etc.) is not all that great and you have to jump through hoops to enable homebrew.

I'll probably get a Pandora when they come out.

Yumiko
January 8th, 2008, 20:38
I vote for the Lynx.

Its easy to pick a recent handheld for all the glimmer, but to be the greatest homebrew handheld you need a long living scene to prove your worth.
Since the Lynx has an active scene for over 18 years there is nothing more to say :D
(and the HW Sprite engine still tops the GBA/DSs one...)

sukhi-2006
January 12th, 2008, 00:12
The first best console for emulation has to be gp32 which was released in 2001,then 2004 came psp which is the most ugly console of all time in looks and design it's big as brick the emulation on the console isn't to amazing the n64 emu was really poor it's powerful and really crap i hate psp and any other ps consoles, then we have the gp2x f-100 in 2005 and now gp2x f-200 this console is one of the best hand held system to date has the best of homebrew games and emulators with the gp2x cradle you can connect control pads, plays most emulators just like console style no console can do that the gp2x f-200 is one of the greatest console of all time.
GPH has a rumour releasing a new console called gp2x f-800 which has 800mhz,dual core,more ram than 64mb,powerful 3d accelerator this system will rule the emulation scene it will have emulators such as megadrive 32x,saturn,dreamcast,n64,psx and plus others.

badwog69
January 13th, 2008, 15:15
4$ho the Psp wins handz down

Eviltaco64
January 13th, 2008, 23:37
The first best console for emulation has to be gp32 which was released in 2001,then 2004 came psp which is the most ugly console of all time in looks and design it's big as brick the emulation on the console isn't to amazing the n64 emu was really poor it's powerful and really crap i hate psp and any other ps consoles, then we have the gp2x f-100 in 2005 and now gp2x f-200 this console is one of the best hand held system to date has the best of homebrew games and emulators with the gp2x cradle you can connect control pads, plays most emulators just like console style no console can do that the gp2x f-200 is one of the greatest console of all time.
GPH has a rumour releasing a new console called gp2x f-800 which has 800mhz,dual core,more ram than 64mb,powerful 3d accelerator this system will rule the emulation scene it will have emulators such as megadrive 32x,saturn,dreamcast,n64,psx and plus others.

Maybe if you could actually type, I would take the time to argue with you about the PSP being one of the best homebrew console as of right now.

Prasoc
January 16th, 2008, 22:21

you must have a lot of friends :o

VampDude
January 24th, 2008, 01:53
The PSP, it's an amazing handheld.

ubersk8kid
January 27th, 2008, 21:35
NDS homebrew is fun, but you can get better stuff on the PSP

aznflameboy
February 24th, 2008, 05:13
PSP but maybe Ipod Touch can catch up soon but I doubt it. The PSP scene is humongous. I think the PSP has one of the biggest homebrew scenes ever since it came originally w/ the ability to play homebrew right out of the box. The constant CFW firmware updates, tons of emulators, and a lot of homebrew games and apps makes it one of the best.

Basil Zero
February 25th, 2008, 08:17
The PSP, since it can play pretty much all gaming systems, excluding the latest ones and of the 6th generation.

Zense
March 10th, 2008, 20:38
I think the ds is the easiest to setup, though I haven't tried homebrew's on any of the others. There's a big community for the ds too, as with the psp I think. Since I only own a DS I would naturally say the DS

omadeli
March 16th, 2008, 22:45
does the psp have any other challenger? ps1,mega drive,genisis,gbc,gba,snes,gb,nes,mame,neogeo,mast er system to mention a few it plays almost everythin

gunntims0103
March 16th, 2008, 23:34
PSP hands down with its collection of emulators, applications, games. Its simply the best. PSX full speed on a handheld, come on its a no brainer.

alanparker05
March 18th, 2008, 00:17
anyone who answers anything other than psp has either never used one or has a problem with sony, before that all we had was ngage and that was very limited and even now the ds is under powered for anything but old consoles

credman27
March 18th, 2008, 03:43
PSP-with a nice and juicy 8gb mem card...You can fit thousands of games on a psp. I still play Marvel vs. Capcom and Samurai Showdown 4 all the time...It looks better than the arcade games because the screen is small and the graphics look amazing!! GP2x uses AA batteries, so lame. The screen on the GP2x looks too interlaced. I prefer the sharp and crisp look of the PSP screen anyday.

monaug5
March 22nd, 2008, 15:17
I think Nintendo DS because of all the flash cards and xtends

acn010
March 22nd, 2008, 16:23
I think Nintendo DS because of all the flash cards and xtends

yeah.. but those are expensive... the psp does not need adapters... so psp is the most advance system for emulation
so i go for the psp

alexzander
April 14th, 2008, 15:53
Psp...

MHentai
April 15th, 2008, 00:58
hum... psp i guess

GPeter7
May 1st, 2008, 00:01
:thumbup: I own Nintendo DS Lite, Sony PSP, GP2X, GP32, Gizmondo and Tapwave Zodiac 2, and in my opinion, the GP32 is #1 the greatest homebrew handheld, Sony PSP is #2, the GP2X is #3, Tapwave Zodiac is #4, and Nintendo DS Lite is #5, and on last place is Gizmondo #6

kharaboudjan
May 17th, 2008, 23:05
first psp

but i will never forget my first homebrew handheld love: the gba =) it has many fantastic emus!

NeroMaverick
June 3rd, 2008, 09:35
PSP, hands down... I own what seems to be the top three handheld systems, the PSP, DS and GP2X...

#3. sadly I could not handle the poor construction of the GP2X... the plastic screen you apply yourself came to me cracked even -_-; the directional pad is wonky and the buttons are way too close together. NTM the audio only works when the jack is not pushed all the way in. as far as apps... I LOVE Linux, so its still my top 3 I assume that it has good support... i regretted buying it about a week after i got it.

#2. The DS, its an awesome system as far as functionality, Top screen for gameplay, bottom screen for map/menu or just generally touching for some reason or other. The DS in theory should be an awesome tool for RTS fanatics, but sadly there are very few RTS homebrew games out for it, and all the ones being made rarely get updates. Homebrew is clunky, depending on the flashcart. It lacks good emulators, Snes will probably never really run full speed with it. I love the input method tho, and homebrew that utilizes it i really enjoy. Love the folding screen and durability... aside for the crack on my left hinge -_-;

#1. The PSP, bastard child of all homebrew. You cant even go a day without seeing some new homebrew you can use to help your everyday life. IRShell alone does so many awesome things that even some PDA devices cant even do. Emulators are very good and supported. Full speed PSX emulation. and a half finished (with high hopes it will work someday) N64 emulator. Snes is about full speed with about 95% of the games. The psp, to me, is the solution to a portable XBOX. Its a portable "do anything you want" machine. Its as functional as a PC IMO.

another reason I feel I have to choose the PSP, I've played alot of DS games on my DS before... but when it comes to the PSP, I'm too distracted by its homebrew and constant homebrew updates to even bother with PSP games. I use it for homebrew about 98% of the time, and I love every minute! :P

pepe55
October 27th, 2008, 09:58
Psp

nyrol
May 17th, 2009, 19:09
Psp

Scoe
June 16th, 2009, 01:17
Psp

psyfirefly
March 15th, 2010, 17:57
Psp