PDA

View Full Version : Using irshell to stream mp4 through xmb video player - help!

fungusfeet
January 6th, 2008, 19:35
ok so I'm a bit new at all this, I've only had a psp for a week (it's a slim).

I'm running 3.71 m33-4 and have installed irshell 3.8 which is fine apart from all the lock-ups.

I have some videos encoded to mp4 avc using xvid4psp which play fine if I transfer to memory stick "Video" folder.

Now my goal is to have a folder on my pc serving my psp wirelessly with pre-encoded video that will stream real-time.

I have read that it is possible...I have installed psphost 2 and usbhostfs and nethostfs...nethost is a little buggy and crashes a lot especially when I try to open the video folder. using usbhostfs with redirection (to a folder on my pc) which I called MP_ROOT and placed the folders 100MNV01 & 101ANV01 inside (I have also tried without MP_ROOT as I wasn't sure whether this part of the tree was needed).

I have tried placing mp4's in there, I even tried renaming a file and the jpeg xvid4psp outputted to M4V12345.THM and M4V12345.mp4

When I launch the XMB from inside irshell and go to the video folder, 1) with nethostfs it locks up & 2) with usbhostfs it says no videos found.

Please tell me where I'm going wrong!

Coolie4
January 7th, 2008, 01:04
seems like your making it more complicated than it needs to be. just use PiMPStreamer. its a homebrew mod of the already already modded PMP.

basically what it does is stream media from the pc to the psp, as long as the pimpstreamer gui is open on the pc side, and the app is running on the psp.

it can be used locally, inside your own home network by simply editing the configure file to make server1=your pc's private IP
if u dont know what it is offhand, Start > run > cmd > type ipconfig > and the number you need to input is called "IP Address" also take note of the "Default Gateway" which is your router adress which u may need later. both are usually in the form 192.168.xx.xx but doesnt really have to be. now all you have to do is fire up both pc and psp side and it should work.

locally is nice, but remote connection is where PiMP Streamer really shines. it has the ability to use ANY internet connection to retrieve media files from your computer. to do this first go to a site like http://whatismyip.com/ to find your public IP adress. this number can change depending on how your network is set up, so its good to update the config file. take this number and go back to the config file and add server2=thepublic.IPadress.youjust.recieved under server1

now you may have to do some port forwarding, this means that because an outside client is trying to enter your personal network, you have to forward it to the right computer on the network. port forwarding is different for every router so google it. "port forwarding for (router model/make/or company usually works) to find it. what you have to do is forward port 3333 (or if it asks for a range, 3333-3333) to your computers private IP adress (u entered it in the step to make a local connection) now you can go to the mall or school or work or wherever and still watch pr0... movies from your pc!

i find this to be much simpler (tho it may not seem it) and is prooven to work (i got it to!). also pimpstreamer doesnt require converting the movie. it can play most if not all video formats. only problem is since its live streaming, it cant be fast forwarded or rewound, but the new version supports starting at a certain point. goodluck!!

what your trying to do seems interresting, but not sure if it will work. let me know if u ever do get it up, and what you do to fix it

fungusfeet
January 7th, 2008, 19:05
I have used pimpstreamer but can't find any option that turns off the transcoding, if it could stream the mp4 without interfering then that would be great but I don't think that is possible. at the moment it stutters too much to be usable

Coolie4
January 14th, 2008, 19:39
was looking thru ir shell faq for something and found this

Why doesn't Host Redirection work when
launching the XMB in FW3.xx EBOOT?
Sorry, you can't use XMB Video player to view MP4/AVC movies located on
your PC via USBhostFS or NetHostFS in FW3.xx EBOOT of iR Shell. This is only
possible in FW1.5 and FW2.71 EBOOTs of iR Shell. When using the FW1.5
EBOOT of iR Shell you cannot watch AVC MP4 movies as that firmware doesn't
support AVC files yet.
Also, the host redirection of music/photo/games under XMB has never worked.
The host redirection of video under XMB worked in fw 2.71 & before, but it's no
longer working under 3.xx. Bottomline, don't use host redirection under XMB.
Host redirection will now only work within iR Shell features.

sorry =/