PDA

View Full Version : Controller port problem

Nanoday
January 7th, 2008, 04:52
Recently all of the controller ports in my Dreamcast have stopped working. I was not there when it happened but according to my brother it was immediately after inserting a controller and VMU into the first controller port. The Dreamcast was old and they don't cost much money to buy so I decided to get a just get a new one. Now, only a week after buying the new one, I am having the same problem as last time. My brother tells me that the controller ports stopped working again after inserting the same controller and vmu that he did the first time.

I hope somebody can help me fix my Dreamcasts!:(
Nano

Eviltaco64
January 7th, 2008, 06:06
That same thing happened to my Dreamcast. And after the ports stopped working, the A/V Port stopped working, as if it were clashing.

Nanoday
January 13th, 2008, 06:14
I'm sorry to be annoying but I thought I would try and bump this topic up, just in case there may be somebody who knows the solution to our problem who missed this when I first posted it.

fackue
January 13th, 2008, 06:25
Bad news: The fuse on the controller port blew.

Good news: It's a very easy fix.

Take apart your Dreamcast and pull out the controller port. Now, look for the fuse marked F1. This is the fuse that blew. You can simply twist it so the bottom leads touch. However that could damage your DC more. If you want a safer solution buy a 5 pack of resistors at RadioShack which are a good replacement for the fuse.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062309

Nanoday
January 13th, 2008, 19:00
Thanks a lot!

Nanoday
January 13th, 2008, 21:13
Just for anybody who might be wondering weather or not the solution Fackue mentioned works or not. I was able to fix both of my Dreamcasts by just twisting the F1 fuse so both leads touch eachother.

ref65
August 31st, 2008, 08:21
I did what fackue said. It worked great. The F1 fuse I took out looks different than the new one, but it works just fine.

radioactivemario
June 22nd, 2009, 20:20
I did as he said, twisting it so the leads touch, and it worked! Sort of. It detects the controller, like, I get the beep when the Dreamcast turns on, but the buttons still do nothing. Can it be fixed?