PDA

View Full Version : web browser for PSP 1.50

omniosiris
July 27th, 2005, 23:21
any one know how can I get a web browser on PSP 1.50 (without having to buy games to get it) I really want a web browser, but its not worth losing homebrew stuff to get it

xuphorz
July 27th, 2005, 23:33
see second below this post

PSP_Newbie
July 28th, 2005, 01:16
well, i heard something about someone ripping some files off a demo disk, though dont remember the details...

parabolee
July 28th, 2005, 14:46
Yes there is it's called "Tenchi no Mon Browser" it is ripped from a Japanese demo disk (Famitsu Magazine) and it is reported to be a LOT better than the Wipeout browser.

I have it and although I have never used the wipeout browser I can tell you this one rocks.

Good points -

+ Fast load times
+ Editable HTML web page portal to place all the links you want.
+ Software keyboard (need to press SELECT twice to get to english characters)
+ Option to jump back to main "web portal" page with your links on
+ Works with most web sites.
+ Works perfect for my Web Comic :)

Bad points -

- Although easy to figure out, the menus are in Japanese
- Other than your editable web portal page there are no bookmarks
- No back button
- Doesn't support Flash
- Large web pages wont let you scroll down untill page is loaded
- Some websites lock up and you need to exit
- Appears to refuse to load large images after it has loaded a few (mainly in web comics, I noticed this)
- Can't login in to Gmail or web forums (as far as I can tell anyway).

It's not bad at all and far easier to set up than the Wipeout one, in fact if you already have your WiFi network setup then after you put it on your memory card there is nothing else to do but edit the web portal page (index.html) to include any links you want (it has google only as default).

It's a shame it's probaby technically illegal to share it even though it's from a free demo disk because we could post it on the site and everyone could use it.

PSP_Newbie
July 28th, 2005, 23:08
how is it illegal if its a free demo disk o.O?
ill search around i guess...

xuphorz
July 28th, 2005, 23:17
how is it illegal if its a free demo disk o.O?
ill search around i guess...

it got copied to a pc, and spread across the internet

shizzle
July 28th, 2005, 23:48
This doesn't seem any different to the wipeout one. If not worse, with wipe out you only had to change the primary dns which is bassically all you do there. Wipeout also supports flash.

PSP_Newbie
July 29th, 2005, 00:12
woot, but its pretty easy to get working, yeah!! it works :D
flash works on wipeout? can u confirm that?
oh, and does email work on wipeout? like yahoo, etc, cause i have trouble logging into anything with tenchi, oh well, this is awsome!

parabolee
July 29th, 2005, 00:48
I don't think Flash works on Wipeout and I hear from a lot of people that have both that this browser is a LOT faster. Go to this site to read a lot of comments on comparing the two -

http://www.psp-hacks.com/

EDIT - For ease of use here is a direct link to the discussion -

http://www.psp-hacks.com/2005/07/26/tenchi-no-mon-stand-alone-browser-released/

ghost2258
July 29th, 2005, 06:54
hmm i tried this browser but it stuck on the loading screen for a long time

Skez
July 29th, 2005, 17:35
PSP 2.0 is even easier to use and set up, but theres no flash/java support, yet....

omniosiris
July 29th, 2005, 20:21
the Tenchi no Mon Browser works pretty well, but im having a big issue, whenever I serch google it only serches the first word I entered in all caps, anyone got a solution to that?

parabolee
July 29th, 2005, 21:10
YES!!! After some experimenting I found a soloution for the problem with searching in google!!!!! Thank god! It was such a pain!

For some reason you will lose anything written after a space, so instead of a space pot a full stop, it will change it into a space!

So when -

flat life = FLAT
flat.life = FLAT LIFE

I was really frustrated untill I figured this out because how often do you want to search for something with one word!

o0sambo0o81
July 29th, 2005, 22:01
I was able to log on to my gmail from it and sent myself an email and it worked! Now it just needs a download option, so we can download music and pictures off of websites. :)

parabolee
July 30th, 2005, 00:11
Hmm I couldn't get into my Gmail with it, I'll have to try again.

Cap'n 1time
July 30th, 2005, 01:04
Hmm I couldn't get into my Gmail with it, I'll have to try again.

I reccomend you try to find a gmail lite site. becarefull though... they are managed by people that could easily misuse the information.

PSP_Newbie
July 30th, 2005, 01:06
do u have any recommondations? or a yahoo lite kinda site? that would really, really help.
what do the cell phones use btw?

o0sambo0o81
July 30th, 2005, 01:36
when you are cycling through the languages to type in, choose the 2nd english option. for some reason when i used the larger font it wouldnt work, or even let me go to websites.

Cap'n 1time
July 30th, 2005, 01:56
do u have any recommondations? or a yahoo lite kinda site? that would really, really help.
what do the cell phones use btw?

this is a link from the people who created gmail lite http://gmail-lite.sourceforge.net/

here is the link. its pretty cool :)

https://laputa.sytes.net:883/gmailer/gmail-lite/

o0sambo0o81
July 30th, 2005, 02:34
I just thought about this, since sandisk memory cards read and write faster than sony ones, and this browser runs off of the memory card, would a faster reading/writing card make pages load any faster?

Cap'n 1time
July 30th, 2005, 02:38
I just thought about this, since sandisk memory cards read and write faster than sony ones, and this browser runs off of the memory card, would a faster reading/writing card make pages load any faster?

as most webpages are tiny, probably not much. (thats in terms of the page being on the memory card. otherwise certainly not.)

PSP_Newbie
July 30th, 2005, 02:48
hmm, could seem to get gmail to work, it launches then goes to some picture of a game or anime w/ 2 guys, some japense text, and only 1 confirmation button, then it goes back o.O?
as for yahoo, i found the mobile phone version and it works great! sent myself an email and everything! its at mobile.yahoo.com/mail
hope that helps :D

PSP_Newbie
July 30th, 2005, 02:50
as for the question answered above me, yeah, the cap would have to do with the rate the program processes it i think, or the speed of your internet/network. it loads very slowly for bigger pages, and i got a fast connection, so i think it has to do with the psp/the actually browser software

o0sambo0o81
July 30th, 2005, 02:57
When i first started trying to enter url's I would always get the anime picture, but it stopped after i pressed select 3times when entering the website. For some reason (for me anyway) the size of the text was affecting the entry.

Cap'n 1time
July 30th, 2005, 05:19
hmm I use the tenchi no mon browser. It works well for me. all of you are using tenchi no mon? this seems to work with wipeout and tenchi no mon but i dare not test it with the 2.00 web browser.

In tenchi no mon edit your index and add this to your list of links.

https://laputa.sytes.net:883/gmailer/gmail-lite/

you should see an SSL warning pop up. once you agree it works fine for me.

PSP_Newbie
July 30th, 2005, 07:28
btw, i heard that with some version of the tenchi browser, someone added in a back button and such, anyone know if this is true?

o0sambo0o81
July 30th, 2005, 07:33
I just want a download option, because i use my gmail account as an extra hardrive and i want to be able to download my mp3's and possibly videos( there is a 10mb max attachment size) at any wi-fi hotspot.

PSP_Newbie
July 30th, 2005, 07:38
i heard u can download music and videos(maybe picture too, not sure) with 2.0 web browser, but nothing other than that. maybe they could find a way to rip the 2.0 browser to be playable off a memory stick? worth a try perhaps, unless its impossible or they come out with a better homebrew one

PSP_Newbie
July 30th, 2005, 10:22
alright, got it working now, dunno what was wrong before...

Cap'n 1time
July 30th, 2005, 16:00
once again, you may want to run gmail lite on your own. The information you enter in that site could be misused... however the homepage of gmail lite suggested it... dunno.

leggy
July 30th, 2005, 18:01
Been using the browser for a couple of days now - mainly google, ebay and gmail.

It works a treat and is great fun!

parabolee
July 30th, 2005, 19:23
I tried running Gmail Lite on my own site but I couldn't get it to work and I didn't have the patience to figure it out. lol

kash
July 31st, 2005, 07:11
when u guys exit the browser does it say, "Game Could Not Be Started"? cuz thats what it says everytime i exit it

PSP_Newbie
July 31st, 2005, 07:20
thats what it says if i select the last option, but i dunno what it says, i just use the home button it goes just fine

ghost2258
July 31st, 2005, 07:39
when u guys exit the browser does it say, "Game Could Not Be Started"? cuz thats what it says everytime i exit it
thats probably a "Return to Game" option you selected since it was ripped from a game

AKB
July 31st, 2005, 07:40
yawn why do u people always get into this problem? u should do it right if ur are told how.

kash
July 31st, 2005, 21:49
will be possible to get on to AIM eventually?

Cap'n 1time
July 31st, 2005, 22:17
will be possible to get on to AIM eventually?

not through an executable.. but yes, their are already ways actualy by means of javascript. and I think it was momdad that used to be working on some kind of aim client for psp.

Ziro
August 1st, 2005, 22:19
I have trouble getting this to work on my PSP.

I think my trouble is somewhere along the lines of configuring it to work with my router.
I have wireless security set up with my router (a WEP is required to log in).
Should I change my router? Or how can I configure the PSP to work with it? I was at the part where you enter IP's, DNS's, and that stuff, but I'm not really sure what to do with all that to get my connection to work. Besides, that I don't understand much of it when it's in English- let alone Japanese. What's my best option? Also, I don't want to leave my router to be completely open and vurnerable to having attacks on my network :[

WSOUNitePirate895
August 3rd, 2005, 23:16
WEP Key should be available to you, Probably in the Router Configuration page (I forgot the IP address that is used to connect to your router settings)

As far as the ENGLISH and Japanese, the GUI (the way the PSP presents its options to you) Isnt different at all.

What did to get through all the Japanese Mombo jombo is went into Network Update and was studying how you would add a new connection, after I figured that out, I went back to the Jap Browser did the same thing.

I hope you can understand, haha it is very difficult to explain but rather easy to setup.

Xarius
August 3rd, 2005, 23:39
WEP Key should be available to you, Probably in the Router Configuration page (I forgot the IP address that is used to connect to your router settings)

It varies from one brand of router to another. It's usually 192.168.1.1 (linksys) or 192.168.0.0 (netgear, I think)

Ziro
August 4th, 2005, 00:46
Ahh...I got it working now. I didn't know that you can configure the internet settings in the psp settings itself rather than the browser's.

This is sad- I can get internet working with on my PSP but not my PS2 (unless maybe if I turn off my security and/or directly plug my PS2 into the modem or router.

WSOUNitePirate895
August 4th, 2005, 01:04
PS2 wasnt configured to hadle WEP keys, as there are no options to enter a WEP Key. I would try a Lan Cable to Router (Wired) instead of wireless if thats what your trying to do.

Also if your using one of those wireless adapters for the PS2/xbox Might want to try that 192.168.1.1 ip address and enter you WEP KEY there, HOPEFULLY it saves on to the device and you can use the adapter with WEP enabled. (Dont know if its possible but worth a shot)

parabolee
August 4th, 2005, 16:25
I wrote a quick and simple guide for getting connected on this -

If you already have a saved profile for a WiFi connection, open up the Web Browser and the INDEX.HTML will load with whatever links you have in it. Once you click a link it will come up a screen that looks like this -

---------------------------------------------------------------------

######################

############ <----------------- This will be highlighted

######

##########################
##################

X ## O ##
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Press O with the one that is highlighted. I believe we are selecting
what connection mode to use, it should be the first which is Infastructure mode I think.

The next screen will look like this -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
0 ############

##################

- ########## -

"Name of your network setup"

X ### O ###

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is obviously asking what connection setup you want to use, you
should have already set up a INFASTRUCTURE MODE connection setup.
Select the network setting name that you have previously setup by
pressing O.

It will come up with a screen that translated would say "Attempting to
make connection". as long as your WiFi setup is correct (which you can
test when you set it up) it will connect after abou 5 - 10 seconds and
load the web page.

DONE

You can find help on setting up a WiFI network connection in other forums.

cklee
August 5th, 2005, 02:59
has any of you guys
got the tenchi browser
to work with firmware 1.0

i'm been trying for the past 2 days
no luck :confused:

thanks

PSP_Newbie
August 5th, 2005, 04:12
no i believe the tenchi browser will only work on a 1.5, nuttin else, sry man

migsgiz
August 13th, 2005, 02:48
can anybody show me step by step how to put tenchi no mon stand alone browser i have psp 1.0

Cap'n 1time
August 13th, 2005, 02:52
can anybody show me step by step how to put tenchi no mon stand alone browser i have psp 1.0

first learn how to read. the posts above you moron.

parabolee
August 13th, 2005, 03:03
The one I downloaded had a EBOOT for 1.00, in fact I had to convert it to 1.500 with SEI to get it to work.

I think you would just need to copy the folder across with all the relevant files in it (DRW I think its callled). And then copy the 1.00 EBOOT into that folder.

But it could be true that it only works with 1.50, but I think if you converted the 1.50 version to 1.00 with SEI or PSPBREW it would work. I at least do not see why not anyway, never heard of a EBOOT that can not be converted either way and not work. But I could of course be wrong.

Oh and 1timeuser don't call people morons, it's beneath you.