PDA

View Full Version : PSP Browser - what a great little tool

leggy
July 28th, 2005, 21:10
Just installed version 2.0 on my US PSP - easy peasy!

Anyway, I've been playing with the browser, accessing google and my gmail account.

What a neat little tool it is and so easy to use!

mooch
August 6th, 2005, 19:32
Being the New Yorker that I am, I don't have the patience to wait for them to release the 2.0 update in the US. So I downloaded it from the Japan Site (http://www.playstation.jp/psp/update/ud_03.html) and installed it.....

Don't really have the words to describe it other than - I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so!!!

:cool:

Jow
August 6th, 2005, 21:04
What's new in the update, other than the web browser? There's a web browser available via wipeout pure, so if the web browser is the only diff I think forfitting homebrew for that is silly. ;/

Romshark
August 6th, 2005, 22:02
Neither of them said that they started out with 1.5. Maybe they got 1.51 or 1.52. In that case, they didn't really have anything to lose by upgrading.

Jow
August 6th, 2005, 22:09
I never said that eitha, I was merely asking what are the benefits, and if the browser is the only one, that in my opinion people willing to upgrade too it are silly. =)

grabnak
August 11th, 2005, 18:40
I never said that eitha, I was merely asking what are the benefits, and if the browser is the only one, that in my opinion people willing to upgrade too it are silly. =)
That would be silly
From the PSP 2.0 release notes:

+ Revisions to strengthen security were added.
+ An Internet browser was added.
+ Go To was added as a feature under [Video]. (This applies to UMD Video)
+ A-B Repeat was added as a feature under [Video]. (This applies to UMD Video and video data saved on Memory Stick.)
+ 4:3 Screen Mode was added as a feature under [Video]. (This applies to video data saved on Memory Stick.)
+ Audio Options was added as a feature under [Video]. (This applies to video data saved on Memory Stick.)
+ AVC was added as a codec that can be played under [Video]. (This applies to video data saved on Memory Stick.)
+ Support for Memory Stick PRO Duo was added to [Music].
+ MP4 (AAC) and WAV (LPCM) were added as formats that can be played under [Music]. (This applies to music data saved on Memory Stick.)
+ Image transfer was added as a feature under [Photo].
+ Wallpaper was added as a feature under [Photo].
+ TIFF, PNG, GIF and BMP were added as image formats that can be displayed under [Photo].
+ Korean was added as an option to [System Language] under [Settings], [System Settings].
+ [Character Set] was added to [System Settings] under [Settings].
+ [Theme Settings] was added under [Settings].
+ WPA-PSK (TKIP) was added as a security method under [Network Settings].
+ Settings for Infrastructure Mode under [Network Settings] were revised to be easier to use.
+ Input modes were added to the on-screen keyboard.
+ Previous Update: German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese and Russian were added as options to + [System Language] under [Settings], [System Settings].
+ Previous Update: Support to retain the screen mode setting was added under [Video]. (This applies to video data saved on Memory Stick.)
+ Previous Update: Support to allow resume play after recovery from sleep mode was added under [Video]. (This applies to video data saved on Memory Stick.)
+ Previous Update: Support to allow resume play of audio tracks after recovery from sleep mode was added under [Music].
+ Previous Update: UMD Music can now be played under [Music].
(from http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/software/psp-20-update-released-001066.php)

AVC in depth
The intent of H.264/AVC project has been to create a standard that would be capable of providing good video quality at bit rates that are substantially lower (e.g., half or less) than what previous standards would need (e.g., relative to MPEG-2, H.263, or MPEG-4 Part 2), and to do so without so much of an increase in complexity as to make the design impractical (expensive) to implement. An additional goal was to do this in a flexible way that would allow the standard to be applied to a very wide variety of applications (e.g., for both low and high bit rates, and low and high resolution video) and to work well on a very wide variety of networks and systems (e.g., for broadcast, DVD storage, RTP/IP packet networks, and ITU-T multimedia telephony systems).

This means great video at low file sizes, more file formats supported displayed.

Web browser info (from http://gear.ign.com/articles/638/638179p1.html) I am pretty sure these are features for the 2.0 browser.

Can I save downloaded images and videos and view them later?
Yes, so long as the PSP supports said filetype. You can either save images you're already looking at, or you can save the link target of either images or movies. Supported file types include JPG, TIFF, PNG, GIF and BMP for images and MP4 for video. Most video types, however, cannot currently play on the PSP, and it does not currently support streaming protocols for audio.

Can I download any other file types?
You can download whatever you want and copy them off to your computer at a later date (useful for when you find an AVI you want to watch later, for instance), but you obviously cannot natively view unsupported file types.

How many pages can the web browser open at once?
Three. The browser uses a tabbed interface with, you guessed it, three tabs. You can switch between them at ease and either load pages into a separate tab than you're on, or switch to an existing tab and type in an address.