PDA

View Full Version : First time home-brew user

Zymus
January 9th, 2008, 04:20
okay, so i got a battery that starts in Service-Mode, and it works Great! i just want to know, what can i do with it? I have a small idea, but I'm not entirely clear on it's potential. So can someone please explain to me what EXACTLY i can do with this battery?

ALSO: I have iPSP on my computer.

mike_jmg
January 10th, 2008, 04:20
you can update your psp to custom firmware or unbrick it, but you'll need a memory stick too

bah
January 10th, 2008, 06:12
The pandora's battery is a standard PSP battery that has been modified slightly (electronically, the serial number it reports to the PSP has to be changed or something like that).

Once a battery has been modified correctly then you can use it, in combination with a memory stick pro duo containing some special files (the 'magic memory stick'), to put any PSP into what's called 'service mode'.

Once in this mode, all the security measures are disabled and the internal flash memory where the PSP's firmware (the operating system that starts up all the hardware and gives you the menu, image viewer, video player etc) is stored can be written to.

It was designed by sony to allow them to fix bricked PSPs (the internal memory that stores the firmware is corrupt and the PSP wont turn on) when they got sent back to be repaired.

Some extremely talented individuals named Team C+D found out how to make use of this service mode to install whatever you want onto the PSP. You can install the official sony firmware 1.5 (from which homebrew can be run), or one of the newer 'custom' firmwares.

These are unofficial versions of the sony firmwares that have been 'hacked' to allow homebrew to run, among other things.

That doesn't really help you in how exactly to do what you need to do, hopefully it clears up what the battery has to do with anything though.

There are lots of guides/apps for windows that do all the file copying for you, someone should be able to point you in the right direction. I still run 1.5 so have never needed to know the exact steps.