PDA

View Full Version : MP4 Encoding

kyyubidx
January 13th, 2008, 00:20
i've been experimenting with some vid converters to get an output that's PSP AND PC friendly... so far i seem to not be able to do it... any tips anyone?

bah
January 13th, 2008, 06:16
What do you mean by PC friendly? A PC just needs a codec and you can play anything that doesn't have Disney's Rights Management.

An xvid/divx and mp3 in an avi container is still the most 'PC friendly' I guess. There are so many divx compatible DVD players around that the format will probably be around a while longer yet.
Divx playback on the PSP is limited so you'd still need 2 encodes, 1 HQ one for PC and one lower one for PSP. Unless the PSP-resolution file is good enough quality for you.
A new firmware is supposed to have divx playback, once thats hacked to be useful then perhaps it will have better support for them. I'd be (pleasantly) supprised if the psp could cope with playing full DVD resolution files downscaled for the screen. I'm certainly not holding my breath though.

Quicktime plays MP4 AVC, they play for me under VLC Media player also (I don't remember installing any codecs so perhaps it picks up quicktime's one), WMP and Media player classic don't like the video stream for me but I'm sure installing a codec would fix it.