PDA

View Full Version : Send PSP to sony?

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 03:47
i'm just wondering, has anyone ever sent their psp in to sony for repairs, etc?
my psp...err...long story short...broke, and i need it fixed. however, my reciept for the psp isnt from the psp i have, could this be a problem? what do they check from the reciept? cause i traded psp's with a friend who didnt care about homebrew, and he lost his reciept and box, i just have the ones for my old psp. and if they fix your psp(i need an lcd replacement), do they change the firmware at all? i dont want to lose my homebrews, as i dont play any psp games, only SNES/GBC/GENESIS/DOOM
if anyone who has sent their psp in to sony or anyone with ANY advice, that would be great, and thanks in advance
i hope i can get it fixed and have my 1.5 back, otherwise i dont know what i'd do, no homebrew on psp would be devastating :(

xuphorz
August 1st, 2005, 04:00
i'm just wondering, has anyone ever sent their psp in to sony for repairs, etc?
my psp...err...long story short...broke, and i need it fixed. however, my reciept for the psp isnt from the psp i have, could this be a problem? what do they check from the reciept? cause i traded psp's with a friend who didnt care about homebrew, and he lost his reciept and box, i just have the ones for my old psp. and if they fix your psp(i need an lcd replacement), do they change the firmware at all? i dont want to lose my homebrews, as i dont play any psp games, only SNES/GBC/GENESIS/DOOM
if anyone who has sent their psp in to sony or anyone with ANY advice, that would be great, and thanks in advance
i hope i can get it fixed and have my 1.5 back, otherwise i dont know what i'd do, no homebrew on psp would be devastating :(

i sent mine to sony before, after i dropped mine
they fixed it without a reciept, but i made sure i got rid of homebrew before sending it
then again that was when 1.50 was the main firmware
so i don't know if they will upgrade to 2.00 or not
i wouldn't risk it tho

Cross
August 1st, 2005, 04:02
Sony just tends to replace the parts. They do not do much further. I guess there is a 25% possiblity but every laptop I have sent in was just fixed and sent back. They do not test very much even as thats invaiding your personal privacy not to mention thats just to much effort for them. But with the PSP as it is I would remove the Homebrew and send it in I doubt they will play with the firmware unless something is wrong with the board.

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 04:42
hey xuphorz, did u just call them and they didnt even ask for a receipt? what did u say? did u have to pay for it or was it covered by warranty? if u payed, ho much? anything you can say would be a great help
and i think i would have to risk it, the cord caught and sent the psp right into a sharp corner, which cracked the LCD screen(the screen, not the glass covering on top)
so now i cant see anything but weird screwed up barely visible version of what its supposed to show. its all cracked, lines going everywhere, and u can barely make anything out
so i think i'd have to risk it^^
but can u help me out on what u said if u got it covered in the warranty? cause that would be awsome. otherwise, i guess it would also be worth it to pay for a repair if they wont allow my old reciept...

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 04:44
as for the homebrew, i got everything homebrew-related on the 512mb stick, while i got rid of everything but the save games on my 32mb(so it doesnt look like i wiped it to get rid of anything i wouldnt want them seeing^^) so i think ill be safe there
but it really sux that my friend lost the box/reciept, or it would have made things much easier. do u think they would accept my original reciept? or do they specifically look at the serial numbers on the box/reciept? again, anything u say would help

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 04:55
and what do u guys think btw, if they would compltely rewuire a reciept, do u think i should say that i lost the receipt, or just tell them that i traded w/ my friend like what happened, or just say i got the reciept and show em the old reciept? only problem though is that the serial # of the original psp is on the box, as well as the reciept, while the serial # of the actually psp would be different from the serial number on the box and the reciept.
what do u guys think i should do? when i called them once, they asked for serial numbers, etc of the psp, and i got as far as when thet asked for the reciept, tho im not sure exactly what they were trying to confirm, would they match up the serial number?

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 05:14
or maybe i could act dumb...
"Whaaaa? The reciept and box dont match the psp? thats weird...i though it did, maybe someone messed up and put the wrong one in? i did have it opened up and checked at the store..."

Cross
August 1st, 2005, 05:16
Don't act anything all they are going to verify is that the unit is within the 1 yr warranty and since the PSP has not been out a yr ur not going to have to prove when u got it, thats all the record of purchase is required for.

Thats why he did not need to send his record of purchase.

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 05:19
errr...wasnt the psp release in the US less than 1 year ago? it was like late march, like 4 months ago...
but that would definately be a relief, that would really help if thats all it was :D

Cross
August 1st, 2005, 05:22
Yes it has been no where close to a yr they would not make Europe, etc wait over a yr after the US got it.

When I called Sony when I first got my PSP because it has a dead pixel in dark conditions its noticable they just told me to send it in stripped of memory card, battery, Power adaptor, etc and send the unit. they will fix it and send it back.

WSOUNitePirate895
August 1st, 2005, 06:27
They Might Send you a new PSP System and since it would be "Stock" it would be 2.0, My circle Button tends to get stuck, I am under warranty but havent sent it for that reason.

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 06:34
well, not sure they'll even get it to me for free
im guessing if they make me pay for repairs because its not the same reciept as the psp, ill probably have the same one...otherwise....
i dont want a 2.0, i want my 1.5!!! /cry

xuphorz
August 1st, 2005, 06:38
hey xuphorz, did u just call them and they didnt even ask for a receipt? what did u say?

they never asked for one
i read somewhere in the manual to call a number, and they told me to send my psp to some address

i sent it without a reciept, and it came back fixed

Terial
August 1st, 2005, 06:51
well, if you got it from wal-mart, you could take it back and keep everything that came with the psp... hell, you could take the PSP itself, they dont check the contents of the box at all. you can just keep trading in PSPs and take everything in the box, and sell them to people over and over, lol. and really... you could take the actuall PSP. the woman at the service desk finished with me and I saw her take the old PSP i had, turn around.... and toss the poor thing into a box on the back wall. made me cringe...

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 06:59
hmm, thats weird, and you didnt have to pay for repairs when u dropped it? they asked for all the info, then said i needed a reciept as a proof of purchase, maybe they just need some...i dunno, date or soemthing like someone said before...

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 07:01
poor psp :(
i got it at toys r us, since i had a gift certificate there from somewhere or other, and i already returned it once with hope of getting a 1.5 once i updated, though no luck. they said after that that i cant return it anymore there, only sony now, plus the reciept wont match with the psp...

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 07:03
i think ill just say i found the reciept and just say what they need, might just pass with a date or soemthing i hope

shizzle
August 1st, 2005, 09:07
just send it it's worth the risk. Though i've heard lots about sony upgrading them, i suppose it depends how busy they are.

(s)ANIT
August 1st, 2005, 09:17
dont send it with hombrew on it , they will burn it

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 09:26
im definetaly sending it no question, its either risk getting a 2.0, or have a 1.5 with a compltely screwed up screen thats completely unplayable
the problem is that i traded psp's and my psp doesnt match the reciept and box, and they asked for a reciept; im afraid they wont accept it as doesnt mtach the psp :(
anyone ever send their psp in for dropping it other than xuphorz? if ya had to pay for the repair it'd be great if i knew how much

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 09:27
dont send it with hombrew on it , they will burn it
lol, dont worry, i would be screwed, as any homebrew invalidates the warranty(if i even have one now that i traded psp's)
i kept the homebrew on my 512mb stick, while all official stuff on the 32mb ill send in with it

(s)ANIT
August 1st, 2005, 09:29
yay lol, they wil lburn it and send the ashes to you

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 21:16
ok, i got a new idea, maybe it would be easier to explain that i have 2 PSP's, one of which i lost the reciept to, but i have the reciept to the other one, do u think that could help with a possibility of them not accepting it?
as i traded psp's with my friend, who doesnt have a reciept or box, and im afraid they wont accept it since the reciept and psp dont match...
anyways, what do u guys think?

xuphorz
August 1st, 2005, 21:20
ok, i got a new idea, maybe it would be easier to explain that i have 2 PSP's, one of which i lost the reciept to, but i have the reciept to the other one, do u think that could help with a possibility of them not accepting it?
as i traded psp's with my friend, who doesnt have a reciept or box, and im afraid they wont accept it since the reciept and psp dont match...
anyways, what do u guys think?

you could do what my "friend" did, pick up some reciept paper at home depot, copy the other reciept you could borrow, and edit it with photoshop to match yours.

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 21:29
yeah, i read your story, but im not gonna do what that asshole did
plus if sony found out(which they most likely will) my warranty would be void im bettin
plus i'd have more of a chance just using my old reciept and saying i have 2 psp's...or just saying what really happened and i traded with friends...i dont know!!! im confused, what should i do? what would u do?

Grim Reaper
August 1st, 2005, 21:57
i took mine back to wal-mart with the first layaway slip. i upgraded it to v1.52 without knowing about all the games/homebrew stuff that i can do with v1.50.

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 22:25
no replies, i guess ill just say that i have 2 psp's...it might make things less complicated as far as i can tell, ill call now i guess, thnx anyway guys

Grim Reaper
August 1st, 2005, 22:34
i wouldnt sent it to sony. you know they will update it to the latest version.

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 22:36
do i really have a choice? its either that or live with a busted screen that barely works

Grim Reaper
August 1st, 2005, 22:48
how did the lcd get messed up and do you know where the box is for the paid slip that you have? unless you call sony and tell then that you dog chewed up the box.

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 23:05
i just called...they said its covered on warranty(good news) but that they will probably send me a new replacement psp(bad news)
im pretty sure all the psp's they have laying around in stock are all 2.0's :(
but at least im glad they will most likely accept my psp and im gettnig a new one for free :)

Bloodsack
August 1st, 2005, 23:28
i just called...they said its covered on warranty(good news) but that they will probably send me a new replacement psp(bad news)
im pretty sure all the psp's they have laying around in stock are all 2.0's :(
but at least im glad they will most likely accept my psp and im gettnig a new one for free :)

I guess emulation is done with you. Thats sucks.

Lets just hope that someone cracks 2.0 ,but more and likely it wont happen. The only way I see everybody having emulation is if someone makes a program for downgrading.

PSP_Newbie
August 1st, 2005, 23:42
yeah, lets just hope. im sending the psp off today or tom morning, and not gonna get it back for another week or two.
im really hoping it will be my same old 1.5, but im starting to doubt it...i might have to make that jump from awsome homebrew to...to.....commercial games! :( /cry

Casper0878
August 3rd, 2005, 17:25
does sony also repair dead pixels?? i have a couple on my psp and of course one of them is right smack in the middle of the screen. you cant see it when youre playing games or watching movies, but i know its there and it bugs me. what really bugs me is that when i took it out of the box the first time, it had little dots on the screen like something was set on it and imprinted on the screen. or it ran through the line at the factory and something pressed too hard on top. i immediately took it to game stop but those pricks told me that its not their problem. i have to take it up with sony. havent called them yet though

PSP_Newbie
August 3rd, 2005, 22:04
well, yes they do cover it, if u call them at 1-(800)-345-SONY(7669) oh god i memorized their number, i had to call like 10 times the first time before i actually got connected to a live opertator :(
anyways, i read it somewhere lets see...found it

Each PSP comes with a one-year limited warranty, which is on page 125 of the PSP manual. If a PSP is "determined to be defective" by SCEA, the company will see to the "repair or replacement of this product with a new or refurbished product at SCEA's option."

According to a technical-support associate contacted by GameSpot, PSP owners who encounter a persistent and aggravating dead-pixel issue should contact SCEA's customer service line at 1-800-345-7669 for instructions on how to exchange their unit after a week or two of use. "We will work with you," he assured.

The associate said the process would work much like exchanging PlayStation 2s that suffer from the dreaded "Disc Read Error" problem: Gamers will mail their PSPs in to SCEA and receive units with new screens. The associate was unsure if customers would receive an all-new unit or their old unit with a new LCD screen.

hope that helps, though unless its really bad, i dunno if its worth losing your psp for 1-2weeks and risking losing a homebrew-compatible 1.5, so its up to you

B_man55
August 8th, 2005, 07:07
I got the DRE on my PS2 and Sony said, and I quote, "Fix it yourself."

PSP_Newbie
August 16th, 2005, 21:02
I got my psp back today, and unfortunately, although it was a brand new psp, it was also a 1.51. It's better than a broken psp though, and i am glad i did it. As for emulation, im done with it for a while, but im not making the same mistake i did last time and upgrading, i will wait until someone figures out how to get homebrew running on a 1.51. I'll still stick around at this site of course. Although its one of the best sites on emulation and homebrew, i think its still worthwhile if you cant play it. Maybe i'll give in and buy a 1.5 psp^^