PDA

View Full Version : PSP homebrew Internetbrowser

Mr-S
January 19th, 2008, 11:59
Hi,
i been searching and i am wondering has any homebrew internet browser been made, i dont like the sony one, for too many reasons mainly cant load all pages cos memory issues. any replies appreciated
mr-s:thumbup:

Cap'n 1time
January 19th, 2008, 18:47
links (http://pspradio.sourceforge.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=504)
it's faster and more memory efficient then the official browser... but it's damn ugly.

cloud_952
January 19th, 2008, 18:51
Well.. yes and no. There WAS a homebrew one that I used before the official Sony one was released. Technically, it wasn't homebrew.. it was a rip from a Tenchu game that had an embedded browser (I think), but that doesn't really matter. Frankly, it sucked. Even more than this one does.

Also note that any homebrew issue must ALSO deal with the same memory limitations that this current one does. It's not like Sony magically has less memory than another coder. ^_^; It's just life..

Sorry.

cal360
January 19th, 2008, 19:00
Links is realy the only fully working one but it lacks the features of the Sony one such as major flash support but it's twice as fast, but like Cap'n 1time said it's not something that you would like to look at for too long and the controls on the Sony version I find a lot easier to use.

Tesseract
January 20th, 2008, 00:29
Is there any reason that the built-in browser couldn't use space on the MemStick for Caching? For that matter, it could even use the unused system memory for a bit of a boost...

I understand that its design is such that you're able to browse without the need for a MemStick, but seeing as how you already need a MemStick for Bookmarks and the like, I fail to see why it couldn't use that extra space to help out when it's available.

Is this something that could just be hacked into the current browser, since that seems to be the biggest gripe folks have with it? (My pipe-dream of XML support can wait...)

cloud_952
January 20th, 2008, 03:25
In an interview with one of the designers of the PSP, he said that he didn't want to use the mem stick because of the problems it' could cause. If you're constantly writing to the MS (note, also, that MS r/w speeds are NOT as high as internal mem, so you'd still have alot of slowdown with the browser anyway), it could possibly decrease the lifespan and, more importantly, risks having the user do something stupid like pull the MS at a bad time (while writing), and corrupt everything on the MS. With all the saves and everything people store (I imagine most users don't backup their saves), this just is asking for hell.

=D And that's why they don't use the MS. Though he did say it's being considered.

Tesseract
January 20th, 2008, 03:41
spsh... Just have an icon in the corner that lets you know when the MemStick's being written to like x number of games that autosave. :P

That also doesn't really keep them from using the internal memory. They could even use that as another 'premium' for Phat vs. Slim in that the Slim would be able to allocate more memory to the browser cache.

I mean... It's not like you can do anything ELSE while using the built-in browser. :P

cloud_952
January 20th, 2008, 10:10
Well, for the technologically savvy amongst us, you could just look at the orange, blinking MS light on the left-hand side of the PSP to know when the MS is being used. ^_- Again, though, people are dumb. As hell. With all the back and forth, it really would be an accident waiting to happen. Someone's bound to yank it at the wrong time.

As for the Slim, there's no excuse why they didn't add more room for the cache. x_x That's just stupid.

Tesseract
January 21st, 2008, 03:25
Well, yeah. There's the LED indicator. You'd just have to warn people not to yank the stick when that's flashing. That way, if they do, it's their own damn fault for not following simple directions. :P

Like that one lady who sued SONY because she bricked her kid's PSP by shutting it off during a OFW update. :P