PDA

View Full Version : Blank GD-R Disc on eBay!

1magus
January 20th, 2008, 00:46
Not sure if it useful to anyone not to sound like a noob but perhaps we can make more with it somehow?
Just look up Sega Blank GD-R

JKKDARK
January 20th, 2008, 00:59
They appear on eBay sometimes, you can burn games on it with a Dreamcast development unit.

1magus
January 20th, 2008, 01:01
But thats it we cant study it and learn more about it to try and re create them somehow maybe?

quzar
January 20th, 2008, 01:03
But thats it we cant study it and learn more about it to try and re create them somehow maybe?

They're identical physically to high quality CD-Rs. The biggest thing that sets them apart is the media ID (same thing that tells your burner that a CD-R is rated for only 4x or 8x write).

1magus
January 20th, 2008, 01:08
If they are identical than why are high quality CDs only 700MBs? And GDs are 1.2 GBs?

quzar
January 20th, 2008, 01:10
CDs don't have individual spots for each bit to be written, it's just a coating. GD-Rs simply write the data closer together.

It's relatively similar to the difference between a 45 and 33 rpm record. A GD-R is just written to more slowly or whatnot.

They work almost identically to Double Density CDs, or the GigaRec format.

dcdood
January 21st, 2008, 14:17
From what i heard, The CD's information spaces are farther while the GD-ROM Compacts that space to actually double the 650MB CD-ROM.

Do They still make these even?

but i wonder, if someone had a Katana Dev box and made an App in KOS, would it run? I know Dev boxes eliminated CD-R Boot.

anyway, nobody could relase katana software legally (make with Windows\DC-SDK)

quzar
January 21st, 2008, 18:31
but i wonder, if someone had a Katana Dev box and made an App in KOS, would it run? I know Dev boxes eliminated CD-R Boot.

http://forums.segakatana.com/viewtopic.php?t=304

Eviltaco64
January 21st, 2008, 18:53
I saw people mod Sonic Adventure with a Dev System. I wish I could do that :(

VampDude
January 28th, 2008, 00:48
I saw people mod Sonic Adventure with a Dev System. I wish I could do that :(

I think you can mod a ROM (without the Dev System), if you knew what you were doing.

Eviltaco64
January 28th, 2008, 02:20
I think you can mod a ROM (without the Dev System), if you knew what you were doing.

I think that can be done with tools designed for specific games or the knowledge to manually mod games (which i dont have :( )