PDA

View Full Version : Battery issue with 3.80m33

Grayfox007
January 28th, 2008, 18:27
I recently updated to 3.80m33-5 and I am having a battery issue. While playing any game or just playing around with the system, it'll randomly give me the low battery icon and shut off. I turn it back on and the battery is still fully charged, but within a few minutes it dies on me again. I can't figure what is going on, this is the first firmware I've had issues with. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I tried reformatting the flash 1 and it didn't help.

I appreciate any help, thanks!

SoulReaver911
January 28th, 2008, 18:32
How old is your battery?

And also, do you have the right battery for the fat/slim you have?

It's possible that if you have a fat psp and a slim battery it might be disconnecting and turning off your psp because it's smaller.

That and I'm not entirely sure you can use a slim battery in a fat....

A little more info on your battery might help.

Saracchini
January 28th, 2008, 18:41
I had one fake battery which gives me the same trouble... and it messed the NAND chip, so my flash0/1 aways become corrupt after some time.
Get a new battery without delay.

Grayfox007
January 28th, 2008, 19:04
I have a fat PSP and the original battery that came with it. I bought it on launch day.

SoulReaver911
January 28th, 2008, 19:15
Well your battery's probably dying.
From experience I got a used psp that had its original battery (as far as I could tell) and I noticed after a few days that the battery life was getting shorter and shorter after modding the sucker. I was assuming it was the emulators and games I was playing, which usually take up a lot of battery life. However I came to the realization that the battery was just dying mostly because psp batteries sucked until recently.

So in the end you should get a replacement for it. And the upside is the batteries are much better these days.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if you didn't notice a diminish in the battery life before you upgraded firmware then it might be the firmware but I don't understand why it would show the battery as dead and then turn off, and the fact that it can be turned on again means it's not bricked.

I also forgot to mention that it might be your ac adapter. Did you let it charge for a couple of hours?

Grayfox007
January 28th, 2008, 21:29
I keep it charging when I'm not using it normally. The battery could be going since it is pretty old. I was just wondering if it was a firmware issue since I never had any problems until after I upgraded to 3.80m33-5. I upgraded. from the last version of 3.71m33. Everything worked perfectly fine on that version.

SoulReaver911
January 28th, 2008, 23:15
Well, 3.80 is said to be buggy... but I've never heard anything similar to this. It sounds like you keep it charged up a lot of the time. So like whenever you're not playing it?

I'm not the type to believe in superstition but I hear that if you constantly keep charging your battery without it dying or getting near to dying it's going to die a lot faster permanently than it normally would.

I'm pretty sure that there's a set number the battery can be charged before it will start acting up, however that may just be promotion of battery life by the companies who make them. I've read in a DS manual that you can charge it 500 or so times.... and then *death*.

So the next battery you have, it might be a good idea to let it waste its energy before plugging it in.

And a suggestion to make sure if it's the battery or the psp firmware. You can use a friend's (fat or slim version - if slim just hold it in) battery to turn it on an see if it works. If it doesn't make sure to check if you can turn it on with the adapter plugged in.

Now if that doesn't work we know it's either the firmware or your psp is incapable of using energy from any source. I would go with the latter and suggest that if this is the case then to ask a friend who knows what he is doing or a professional to take a peek inside to see if a wire needs to be re-soldered or if something is hampering the psp's ability to get to the energy source.

Grayfox007
January 29th, 2008, 02:47
I'll go ahead and get a new battery then and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the help!

SoulReaver911
January 29th, 2008, 11:16
Sure, anytime and come back to tell us if it works!

Grayfox007
February 1st, 2008, 16:24
Well, I didn't get a new battery yet, but I just updated to 3.90m33 and everything seems to work great again. I'm glad I didn't have to shell out the extra money for a battery after all.

mike_jmg
February 1st, 2008, 16:51
That was really weird