PDA

View Full Version : buying a ps2 soon and I want to use an ide hdd

aphexpusher
January 31st, 2008, 01:52
so soon im going to buy a ps2 that I want to install a ide hdd into and I want to know what would be the best choice for this? I know there is a way to install ide hdd on certain slim ps2s and ofc fat ps2s all can take an ide hdd. what should I do here? and what kind of ide hdd should I purchase? also as far as booting backups through the hdd what should I use? memor32? I cant solder worth crap so modchip is out of the question really... what would be the wisest and easiest path to loading backups via hdd and which ps2 version would be the best choice to buy?

thanks for reading!

Tesseract
January 31st, 2008, 02:19
If you don't want to mod, then your best bet would be the PS2 Independence exploit. Instructions can be found on this site.

As for the HDD itself, MOST IDE HDDs are compatible. Only a few have the connectors arranged in a way that causes problems due to the fact that the IDE/Power plugs on the Broadband adapter are solidly in place.

This option would also require the Phat PS2... Out of those, try to find the 50000 series. They're the most reliable of the old Phats. An easy way to tell is if it LACKS a firewire port on the front next to the USB ports.

aphexpusher
January 31st, 2008, 02:53
even larger ides? like 200 gig or 400 gig?

Tesseract
January 31st, 2008, 04:50
I don't think there's a size limit anymore... With previous versions of HDLoader there was a 137GB limit.

I'm not 100% sure on this, though... I don't have anything larger than 40GB in my PS2s.

In one PS2 (50000 Series), I have the official SONY HDD that came with Final Fantasy XI Online. The other (30000 Series) I just slapped a spare 40GB Maxtor drive into. The type of Phat PS2 doesn't really matter... The 50000 Series just seems to have a more robust optical drive.

Above and beyond that, the only other thing you'll need for the Independence Exploit is a Pro Action Replay MAX or MAX EVO. This helps you get the files needed for the exploit onto your MemCard. You'll also need a PSOne game. Any one will do.