PDA

View Full Version : Burning Vmoo Tool

diablo2121
August 5th, 2005, 07:30
I'm having trouble burning the Vmoo tool so that it selfboots in my Dreamcast. I downloaded the Vmoo Elf binary, ran it through elf2bin, scrambled the .bin file, and tried to run it through selfboot, but it said I needed an IP.bin. To retaliate, I ran it through Fastboot and created an IP.bin, but when I tried to test the image with Chankast, it crashed. Can someone help me out? I want to make sure that it can correctly boot first before burning it on a disc. Also, where are all the files for Vmoo? All I have is a scrambled .bin [is that supposed to be the 1st_read?] and the IP.bin. Since Vmoo is a VMU emulator, won't it need files to run and files to be played? I'm confused on why there's only an Elf file available for download and no instructions on how to get it to work. Thanks in advance.

DCDayDreamer
August 5th, 2005, 19:13
It sounds like you've done most things correctly but here's a rundown anyway:

Run elf2bin on your vmoo.elf and you should end up with vmoo.bin (if you haven't changed the output filename), vmoo.bin will be unscrambled so you'll need to scramble it to make a self booting image, make sure the scrambled file is named 1st_read.bin . You now need an ip.bin file, your best bet is to take one from an existing project (make sure the project has a 1st_read.bin because the ip.bin points to that as the file to boot). Put your 1st_read.bin and ip.bin files in a directory on your HD (name it vmoo or something) and run Selfboot, BootDreams or other selfbooting apps to create your CDI or NRG image file. I'm not sure how compatible Chankast is with homebrew images so I'm not sure if it'll work to test your CDI or NRG.

As for Vmoo, it's compiled with a game within the binary (Tetris I think), I'm not sure if there is a later version that allows you to load any other games but the one I tried way back would only play Tetris. You can load other games via duplication and hex-editing of the binary but you'd also need to use Dream Inducer for that.