PDA

View Full Version : I think this might help the scene and the people

Eric
September 19th, 2004, 11:00
People always constantly complain when people ask for a game almost exactly like a commercial game. Well how about tetris i mean fine make a clone version but does there have to be 2 billion on the dreamcast. I think it is neat for a release of clone games do to this reason.

Sure there is a tetris game on dreamcast but if people dont have the time nor the money to go out and buy it i am sure a coder will go out and make a clone which is available for free and then it would help that person in that situation.

I did find a Chu Chu Rocket clone which i found would be interesting for people havent played the original version and people can get a little test of Chu Chu Rocket but unfortunitly i lost the site and pics but i think its still up on DCemu's forums. Its time for admins and coders of DCemu to pay attention to what they are saying sure there is games already released and games that you can play on emu's but it comes down to copyrights which i dont think they really think about.

Like sure if people dont make a clone they can download the emulator to play that game illegallly if they dont have it or a generous coder who stopped and thought maybe this person doesnt have this game and might want a clone thats for free and wont get into any trouble. I have been thinking about this for awhile and as a reviewer (not commercially) you have to think about this stuff.

I have no news for any ports yet cause the last time i looked out it was hard. Back to Chu Chu Rocket Clone had no clue if it was C++ but even though i have the game i like to see what this one was like and i think that it would bring more eyes to the scene cause people really want Chu Chu Rocket and have trouble finding it and dont want to go to the mess of making a internet account.

Think about it though we have enough Tetris games commercially made why have a 1 clone tetris game cause some people arent legally able to play the commercial releases and why complain about that game being ported if commercially already released when you make a clone tetris game when there is a lot already out dreamcast.

Just my views and if anybody has any views to this go ahead its something that people need to talk about i think.

Eric

DCDayDreamer
September 19th, 2004, 16:35
Eric: I really haven't a clue what exactly you're trying to say here (mind you I've had a couple of beers ;D).

Are you complaining there's too many Tetris games for the DC and not enough Chu Chu Rocket style games?

Well how about tetris i mean fine make a clone version but does there have to be 2 billion on the dreamcast.

If there's 2 billion tetris games it looks like we'll have to update DCEvo's 'Dream Selection Tetris Clone edition' image, but with that many it'll surely kill the bandwidth :D.

Can't you find a genuine version of Chu Chu Rocket?, I've got 6 of the damn things (only got them for replacement cases), I'll post you one if you're that desperate for one ;).

WHurricane16
September 19th, 2004, 17:51
Think about it though we have enough Tetris games commercially made why have a 1 clone tetris game cause some people arent legally able to play the commercial releases and why complain about that game being ported if commercially already released when you make a clone tetris game when there is a lot already out dreamcast.

I'm just going to say this and everything else is irrelevant: you are under the impression that (freeware) game creators are doing something to please people. You must realize this, or simply push yourself away from the keyboard sometime.

Also, "clone" does not equal "port", so alot more originality goes into something that's not ported. Maybe these guys love Tetris, and they want to see how its done or do one better.

Eric
September 19th, 2004, 18:37
No what i mean is the next time someone asks for a port thats a clone of another game do it without complaining or if you dont want to put it down nicely that you cant. Yeah i am trying to push people away from buying the commercial game (TETRIS).

No not at all but it would stop people from downloading backups if you could make homebrew games and port games that are clones but i am not saying that has to be done for every game. Its always good to see what kind of games come from the creators minds.

So we can sit here and say what i am saying is stupid but think about it if i am pushing people away from commercial games you can say that for yourselves with the many Tetris clones and using the Tetris name to push the downloading.

These clones wouldn't even push people away from the commercial product cause after testing out a clone you never know if the person decides to go for the commercial product. I do have to say if we complain about this its rather stupid to complain i am putting out a view that makes sense and you guys are going to try to make me look stupid with my poor grammer and also put yourselves in the right.

Next time someone asks for a simple clone request dont say just download the Nintendo Emulator and get the actual game cause they may not have it and for legal reasons may not be able to have it and to save that situation a coder who has time to do anything if not working on something else to make a clone game.

Ian has done it and i dont think he really cares clone or not it gives them a test of a actual commercial game and you guys cant tell me you didnt think Miss Driller was done rather well. So if you liked that one imagine your clone ports, and homebrews being that good aswell.

Anyways once again dont make me look like i am stupid what i am saying comes to a very clear point

Eric

Alexvrb
September 19th, 2004, 19:37
So basically... you're telling coders that they shouldn't voice their opinions, and that commercial games are the devil. Yes, I know that's not what you mean. But I don't really understand what the point of posting any of this was. ???

DCDayDreamer
September 19th, 2004, 21:05
I am no coder and probably never will be, but what I've gathered from around the dev scenes though, is that Tetris is a good starting point for learning code to make your own games on various platforms. Check out a little site on DC dev made by someone called Marcus something (not very well known in these circles ::)) and even he has some Tetris code as an example.
The sad fact of any scene though, is once a coder gets better at something he moves on to a more powerful platform for his talents, or he gets that 'Dream' job in the software industry.

The DC dev scene is still only getting started, I'm sure we'll see some new talent arriving with new ideas and creations along with those ports that you'd like to see Eric.

I do have to say if we complain about this its rather stupid to complain i am putting out a view that makes sense and you guys are going to try to make me look stupid with my poor grammer and also put yourselves in the right.

Hold on right there Eric, nobody here is trying to make anybody look stupid and nobody is complaining. If you're refering to my first reply to this topic I really did not know what the point was you were trying to make (I read it quickly and replied in my humour mode). On the other hand, I was being serious when I said if you wanted a copy of Chu Chu Rocket, I'd post it.

Next time someone asks for a simple clone request dont say just download the Nintendo Emulator and get the actual game cause they may not have it and for legal reasons may not be able to have it and to save that situation a coder who has time to do anything if not working on something else to make a clone game.

Ian has done it and i dont think he really cares clone or not it gives them a test of a actual commercial game and you guys cant tell me you didnt think Miss Driller was done rather well. So if you liked that one imagine your clone ports, and homebrews being that good aswell.

You're contradicting yourself in that quote, read what you've written again Eric and you'll see what I mean.

Anyways once again dont make me look like i am stupid what i am saying comes to a very clear point

It certainly does Eric...
the point being - CHILL OUT!
This is a homebrew dev scene you're in - it's not serious, it's not real life, it's here as a passtime (also known as hobby), it's here for FREE FUN! (fun being the most important part of any scene, also a touch of humour doesn't go amiss :P).

To any coders that read this:
The best 'port' that I know of is the fortified liquid type that comes in bottles, it's the kind of 'port' with humour guaranteed if consumed as a large quantity. Of course you'll still get complaints, mainly the following morning from the one's that's drank too much the night before, but such is life ;).

Eric
September 20th, 2004, 08:36
Alright if its for fun i guess i understand but if there is serious people out there who want to get a good rank so commercial companies can notice you try some clones and make your own stuff.

I am not pissed off i wasnt pissed off at you either it was storminator 16 being rude as usual to me. Again I dont think a clone game has to be released all the time but its good to see a clone game.

I am not stopping people from looking at commercial games as a clone game may not be as good looking or play like the commercial game but it gives you a test and will put in thought of buying that commercial game.

Miss Driller has a few bugs still playable after playing and knowing the bugs it would show people interest in getting Mr.Driller cause there is no noticable bugs and you will have constant joy from playing it.

I am not putting down Miss Driller as it was a good port but these type of games always put a test out for the commercial game and is no where as good as the commercial game but has its fun factor.

This is more for the serious coders half the time you all sound serious and so thats the reason why i get serious. I enjoy the work and whenever i come in to give a hint its just to make your port,homebrew,emulator etc. alot better for your viewing and the people.

Remember though if you have time and your thinking of making something new do a clone port a homebrew and it doesnt have to be of the exact game story and all example Beats Of Rage. I do know that tetris is a rather easy game to port aswell and have been to those sites in the past.

I dont want to get people peed now but it just might the tetris games are boring me to many. BOR mods are annoying the first was great and the one based on that old Genesis motor cycle beatem up game cause its a little different then the other BOR mods and i cant think of the game cause i am so damn tired.

Anyways this site is for fun do what you want i am just giving suggestions to make it a little bit better

Eric