PDA

View Full Version : Any famicom ROM support?

Ultimate warrior
February 4th, 2008, 04:25
Playing original Super Mario Bros 2 and Doki Doki Panic I MUST!!!!!

JKKDARK
February 4th, 2008, 04:29
I think you can play Famicom games on any NES emulator

Ultimate warrior
February 4th, 2008, 04:50
I try that but the R4 won't find the files and when I try to change them to .NES I get a frozen screen. Is there something I'm missing?

DanTheManMS
February 4th, 2008, 05:09
I know HVCA for the GBA can run *.fds files if you have the DISKSYS.ROM file present when building your compilations, but obviously that won't work on your R4.

There's a way to use an IPS patch file to play SMB2, though I'm not sure if it's allowed by the forum rules since it does involve an NES rom, despite it being only an IPS patch file.

Ultimate warrior
February 5th, 2008, 02:06
I know what your talking about but what file do you need? I thought it was a EXTREMELY rare smb2 japanese file. Unfortunately, the only place I have one is in a turrent and I don't know how to open the turrent.

DanTheManMS
February 5th, 2008, 03:17
The file you're looking for is "Super Mario Bros 2 (J) [P1].nes" which might also be improperly named ""Mario and Luigi (SMB1 Hack) [a1].nes" This can then be patched with an IPS patch file for usage on the GBA and DS.

Torrents are not archive files or anything. *.torrent files are merely lists of data saying "Hey, so-and-so has these specific files, here's how to get them!" You merely open the torrent file in a Bittorrent client to download the actual data you're looking for. I'd recommend using uTorrent, and I'd also recommend reading some FAQs about torrents if you're serious about it, including things such as port forwarding (very important) and bandwidth throttling.

Personally I mostly just use torrents for grabbing large files like Linux distros, which puts much less strain on the server when you've got all the peers sharing amongst themselves while downloading.

I really don't want to get any more specific than this, and I fear I might have already crossed the line, in which case I apologize.

Ultimate warrior
February 5th, 2008, 23:52
Should have known it was too good to be true. The patch has a lot of problems with it....

1. After the 3rd world there shouldn't be ANY green pirhana plants, only red. There's several green in the later worlds!

2. The green springboard is red instead of green.

3. THE STARS DON'T APPEAR WHEN YOU BEAT THE GAME THEREFORE WORLDS A, B, C, AND D AREN'T ACCESSIBLE!!

Seriously, wtf!!!!! I was looking so foward to having the original on my R4, now I learn that this idiot who made the patch did it all wrong, so that the game is easier and that the 4 extra worlds can't be obtained!!

Eviltaco64
February 5th, 2008, 23:57
Try RockNES if you want to play them on a PC.
MedafenX on Xbox works perfectly as well.

As for DS, all i can say is Super Mario Bros 2 (J).nes ///dgemu///

Ultimate warrior
February 6th, 2008, 00:15
WTF I'm not good with hints!!!

Eviltaco64
February 6th, 2008, 00:25
WTF I'm not good with hints!!!

Insert the combined letters from the English alphabet "dgemu" into t3h google search engine.

DanTheManMS
February 6th, 2008, 00:30
Then get a slot-2 device and run HVCA, which has native FDS emulation. That's all I can really suggest at this point.

Ultimate warrior
February 6th, 2008, 01:17
Insert the combined letters from the English alphabet "dgemu" into t3h google search engine. Did that, file you said ain't on there... Or am I too stupid and overlooking something?

Are there multiple patches for the game? How come there is the probs that there is with it?

EDIT: well, I solved one problem with level select so I can play worlds A-D. You may think I'm being VERY picky but still. The absence of 90% of the red pirhana plants annoys me. I want to play the game ORIGINAL. Unless someone can explain or PM a sloution/ patch to me, I guess I'll just have to live with this (or until NESDS gets Famicom Support).