PDA

View Full Version : Worth buying a PSP if my main interest is emulation?

Spngsambigpants
August 7th, 2005, 00:41
Is it worth buying an american PSP at this time if my main interest in owning one is using it for SNES, genesis, BGA, etc emulation? Does it look like there will be any home-brew for 2.00 or beyond at any point in the future? Can I still get a 1.5 PSP for purchase anywhere?

ataribob
August 7th, 2005, 02:19
Make sure the box has an "A" under the voltage outside of the box
I have seen some 1.50's without a letter but would not tack a chance.
If you see a "B" on outside box don't touch it.
A lot of walmarts still have the "A" and B

Cross
August 7th, 2005, 02:24
yes u can always update to 2.00 but as of now 1.50 or 1.0 is the only way to get those emulators etc to run on ur PSP

slik da relic
August 7th, 2005, 03:32
Make sure the box has an "A" under the voltage outside of the box
I have seen some 1.50's without a letter but would not tack a chance.
If you see a "B" on outside box don't touch it.
A lot of walmarts still have the "A" and B

PSPs that r without a letter under the voltage r part of the 1st shipments of 1.5s.

da relic

o2byzst
August 7th, 2005, 09:06
All this "letters on the box" stuff is great...but you should totally pick up a PSP if your interest is emu. I mean this thing can emulate all the classic games. Included are NES, Genesis, SNES, Mame, NeoGeo and GB/GBC. People are talking about PS1 and N64 emulators but that is far from coming if ever.

If you wanna play the old school games...short but sweet - GET A PSP!!! Just make sure that you get version 1.50...otherwise your screwed. And of course, make sure to come back to his board for all the emulators and updates to make the system great.

And should ever decide to play some of the PSP titles - assuming they ever actually release any - you can always update.

ScarletShadow
August 7th, 2005, 11:42
Is it worth buying an american PSP at this time if my main interest in owning one is using it for SNES, genesis, BGA, etc emulation? Does it look like there will be any home-brew for 2.00 or beyond at any point in the future? Can I still get a 1.5 PSP for purchase anywhere?

Slashdot described PSP as the ultimate in handheld emulation devices. Now that I own one, I can gladly confirm that. Emulation has been my hobby for years, so naturally portable classics sounded appealing to me. Unfortunately the GBA flash carts were a little beyond my price range at the time. I never would have bought a PSP for its unimpressive game library, but seeing that it supports some of the greatest games of all time at full or near full speed, I couldn't resist. The choice is yours to make, so if you do choose to buy this as an emulation device, you won’t be disappointed.

ataribob
August 7th, 2005, 15:17
I can't se ever updating.
I like mainly RPG's
and with the amount of them on the GBC-Sega-Snes_nes.
That would keep a person buisy for years.

If Sony will come out with an RPG and not these driving slash and kill games.
That would make some of hardcore Rpg's gamers up date or Buy another PSP.
I have had a couple GP32's but that was a dust sucker because of the gap between the screen and outside.

economizer0
August 7th, 2005, 18:16
Thats all i use my PSP for is emu....im not into sports games only lil FPS and RPGs (mostly oldschool rpgs) the DS is coming out with more my type of games Advance wars(addictive) and Final fantasy 3,mario kart ds, the new pokemon,the new Secret of mana game,new super mario bros.,lunar dragon song
,metriod ,Super smash bros ( i heard of) plus many more

for PSP i want Breath of fire 3( i hope to GOD!!! capcom releases it for the US...i have it for ps1 though but i would still get it...cus BoF kicks ass, i do want tales of eternia(tales of destiny 2 here in the states for PS1.....its out for PSP in japan but i dont think its coming here...have to for ps1 also...its great taking my psp to my girls house or anywhere else,also in the house if i dont fell like sitting in the computer chair..just cant wait for prefect emu on psp....

Paulmolive
August 7th, 2005, 20:06
I keep telling people around me the PSP is my favorite system. They always go "cool, what games do you own" and I say "none"
LOL, they are always like WTF.

Yeah it's definently worth getting a PSP only for emulation. I don't own any games and have no interest at all in any of the games coming out yet I'm always on my PSP. :)

You won't regret it.

Smiths
August 8th, 2005, 03:39
I only bought my PSP for emulation.
I only bought the 512 and 1 gig cards for emulation as well.

So no, you're not crazy for that.

In a year this will be the ultimate portable emulation platform, bottom line.

shadowprophet
August 8th, 2005, 23:09

And you can still find new in box 1.5 psps all over ebay :D

Bloodsack
August 8th, 2005, 23:15
Hell Yeah it's worth it.

ataribob
August 9th, 2005, 17:36
I am so happy with the PSP in emulation
I no longer need these big back up systems

http://gametz.com/usertab/Ataribob/tab/Games.html

geise69
August 9th, 2005, 17:53
Yeah the psp is worth getting for emulation. The main reason I got mine was the idea of emulation. I saw what the GP32 had and thought "man the psp can do that but better!" The psp can emulate pretty much any console up to the 16 bit ones. PSX is in the works. However I wouldn't expect cps1 or 2 or neogeo mvs any time soon if at all. As long as I have my 16 bit consoles I'm more than happy with it.