PDA

View Full Version : **Playing PAL on modded US system**

skyviolet
August 7th, 2005, 02:58
Does anyone know how to fix (what I believe to be..) a 50 hz/60 hz compatibilty issue when trying to play certain PAL games on my modified system. All games load fine, it's just the screen seems to be out of place. Shifted off to a corner where the frame shows. :confused:

RedKing14CA
August 7th, 2005, 05:58
perhaps its an emulation glitch

Emulation_Chief
August 7th, 2005, 08:05
Hello:

PAL games uses a different output signal to the TV. Many modern PAL screens has the option to change to 50/60 hz of frequency. That is also true for some PAL games on Dreamcast. Otherwise, you'll need a PAL/NTSC converter to do the trick. This little box is an interfase conection between the console and the TV and provides what it is need to play your PAL games on NTSC screens and viceversa.

I have a question. Do you have an installed modchip on your DC or you're using a bootdisc to run your Imports? I read on the Sites that sells the modchips that they have the capability to run PAL games properly. I don't know how true is this.

Emulation_Chief
August 8th, 2005, 18:27
Hello:

On another note, PAL games that has the 50/60 hz choice will run Full Screen on NTSC televisions. Otherwise, it will run on 50hz. You will alway see a smaller screen on the lower part of the TV. Also letters will show too small to read. Maybe the PAL/NTSC Converter should correct this.

skyviolet
August 9th, 2005, 05:53
I Have a modchip I installed myself, it runs fine (I've also tried the boot disc as well)and all games boot fine. Games that have both the 50/60hz options seem to adjust themselves automatically, but like for "Trickstyle" it has no video options (except widescreen) so it's freq. is PAL sensitive against my HDTV yes. I was wondering if there was any type of debugger or modofication that can be done to correct it, or better off just getting the US version, was just curious, I thought I was going to enjoy the PAL version, but alas it doesn't play right on US systems (no matter the modification if the video is programmed in PAL freq. unless conversion is an option) I'll make note of that.

flaming_carrot
August 9th, 2005, 08:43
You could try the PAL/NTSC-enforcer (http://www.ludd.luth.se/~jlo/dc). It changes the vertical refresh rate, but this may not be enough to entirely fix your problems. You might be able to hack the source code to change the other display parameters if need be.