PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying PSP for emulation (questions)

Ultimate warrior
February 6th, 2008, 19:55
Call me impatient if you want. I just don't feel like waiting for the DS to come up with an excellent emulator of the SNES. So I have a few questions.... (Also price isn't an issue I have a $100 gift certificate to Best Buy)

1. Will the PSP play the following games with no graphics problems, no lag, and perfect sound/ gameplay?

SNES: Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV (hard and easytype), Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda LTTP (and Parallel Worlds hack), Sparkster, Illusion of Gaia, ANY Super Mario World hack (including really large ones like demo world the legend continues)

NES: Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 3, Super mario 1, 2 (see question below), and 3 ( plus Mario Adventure hack), and other Super Mario Hacks.

Genesis: Sparkster, Rocket Knight Adventures, Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, megamix, and sonic 3 and knuckles.

2. Can any of the PSP emulators support Famicom ROMs? I have two and was wondering if this was possible.

3. Do I need to buy anything extra in order to emulate?

4. I think the answer to this question is no but can you download PC emu's for PSP?

5. How exactly do I download them and to where in my PSP?

6. I heard you need to buy a memory card or something like that in order to store stuff, is this true?

Links to the best PSP emulators for SNES, NES, and Genesis would be nice also. The only reason I want this is for the emulation bit. I just don't feel like waiting for the DS. Need an answer ASAP.

JKKDARK
February 6th, 2008, 20:05
1_ SNES, NES and Genesis emulation, if it's not perfect it's excellent. I don't think you will notice any problem.

4_ I think there's a beta from a Windows 95 emulator but it's useless actually.

6_ Yes, get a memory stick. 2GB or 4GB would be good.

Ultimate warrior
February 6th, 2008, 20:11
1_ SNES, NES and Genesis emulation, if it's not perfect it's excellent. I don't think you will notice any problem.

4_ I think there's a beta from a Windows 95 emulator but it's useless actually.

So you can use PC emu's?

6_ Yes, get a memory stick. 2GB or 4GB would be good.

I'm assuming you can buy the mem stick from Best Buy? Also, just to make absolutely sure, the PSP emulation is FAR BETTER then DS right? Anyone wanna answer my other questions please? Thank you for your time everyone!

JKKDARK
February 6th, 2008, 20:16
Yes, emulation on PSP is better than emulation on DS ;)

And there are memory sticks available on Best Buy ;)

Ultimate warrior
February 6th, 2008, 20:24
Probably going to get a few more opinions until I make my decision but thanks for your input!

EDIT: what's all this I'm hearing about versions, and firmware, and down grading? Can I not go out and buy a regular PSP and play the games? I'm reading something about certain batteries I need to use? Desperately need Famicom question answered.

Wally
February 6th, 2008, 21:55
FINALLY someone who uses the proper word instead of normal. (regular)

I'd get a PSP Slim, its most likely going to have more developer focus, there is a certain battery you need to use to downgrade the PSP, you have a few options

a) buy a Datel Tool which is quite expensive
b) get an fat battery from Best Buy and clip the pin (google)
c) get a fat battery and send it to me and i'll mod it to send it back to you.

dangee
February 6th, 2008, 21:59
Never saw any exact facts & figures, but I believe that the raw
processing power of the PSP is superior to the DS, and this has
attracted high quality homebrew/emulator developers to the platform.
Unless you get lucky, its likely you'll need to buy,beg or borrow a
"pandoras battery" system to convert your PSP to enable emulation. This
probably voids any warranty.
I wouldn't trade a f/w version 1.5 (homebrew enabled) phat PSP for a DS + 5 games.

dwacc
February 6th, 2008, 22:00
Probably going to get a few more opinions until I make my decision but thanks for your input!

EDIT: what's all this I'm hearing about versions, and firmware, and down grading? Can I not go out and buy a regular PSP and play the games? I'm reading something about certain batteries I need to use? Desperately need Famicom question answered.
Ok since I was just as confused as you 1 month ago, and since I'm waiting for my pizza, I'll give some general answers before someone else says "google."

- Firmware

Firmware is the thing that always runs at the bottom of your PSP. Sort of like the Operating System on your PC. Sony keeps updating the PSP FIrmware over WiFi to newer versions, adding new tools, functionality, and security measures to keep bad people from running bad things on the PSP.

The bad news is, the official firmware (OFW) won't let you play roms on it. Or at least not PSX roms, (I never actually tried loading emulators onto the OFW.) What to do?

- Downgrading

Sony lets you upgrade your OFW through WiFi. For various reasons, people want to downgrade, i.e. switch to older versions of the firmware. Sometimes you can do this by simply loading a "downgrader" app to your memorystick and running it. But each downgrader is custom written for each firmware version, and I'm pretty sure there's no downgrader for OFW 3.90 (the one you'll be getting on your brand spankin' new PSP.)

Worried yet? Good.

- Custom firmware

Ok so how is it the kids are playing flashy SNES games on their PSP these days? That's because some people decided to take the official firmware apart, tamper with it so you can do all your fun stuff, and release it as custom firmware (CFW).

A well known type of CFW, is the "M33"-series. Pretty much every version of the OFW, has an M33-copy you can use instead.

- About that battery, then...

So... how do you replace your OFW with CFW? Here's the short version. First you use a program to make a memory stick into what we call a "Magic Memory Stick" (MSM) which basically is a bootable stick with your firmware of choice on it.

Second you need the infamous Pandora's Battery. A normal battery, when inserted, boots straight to the firmware on your PSP. The Pandora's Battery ignores what's on your PSP and boots straight to your MSM, letting you run your CFW installer.

Getting a Pandora's battery is the tricky part. You can:

- Buy one on eBay
- Buy a CERTAIN TYPE of battery, pry it open and modify it.
- Find a friend who already has a PSP with CFW on it, and have him turn a CERTAIN TYPE of battery into a Pandora's Battery without the need to pry it open.

Not all types of batteries work. If you try this on the wrong type, it'll break.

- Getting emus/stuff onto your memory stick

Your PSP comes with a USB cable. Once you insert a memory stick in your PSP and hook the PSP up to the PC, it'll show up as a "Removable Drive" in windows, and you can cut/copy/paste whatever you want on there. The emulators go in the ms0:/PSP/GAME folder.

-

Well... I'm sure others could've explained it better, but this should give you an idea. Good luck on your quest. Me and my friend bought our PSPs before we even had any idea on how to run emulators on them. We ended up buying a battery and modifying it with a safety pin. It's the closest I've ever been to doing brain surgery.

To start off, you should do what we did: Read and learn about the PSP Homebrew universe. Go to http://psp-hacks.com and http://google.com to look for tutorials on "psp homebrew", "psp custom firmware" and "pandora's battery". Also try going to http://youtube.com - there're a lot of decent videos there if text doesn't do it for ya.

Pizza's here!

EDIT: Damn, too late... ;)

Ultimate warrior
February 6th, 2008, 23:31
Sweet but whats the best CFW for me to use? Also, I'm guessing by what you are saying I can use PC emu's like ZSNES, FceULTRA and such on PSP? Or do I need PSP specific emu's? LINK'S PLZ!!!!!

EDIT: well, I just watched one of the videos and says something about corrupted icons. Does that have anything to do with emu's and ROM's? Also, I have a Sandisk micro SD card that came with a bigger card that says microSD/ Transflash Adapter. Will that work? This all sounds VERY complicated.

SoulReaver911
February 6th, 2008, 23:31
Dwacc, really nice post.

Ok, emulator talk down here.

Snes - Snes 9X TYL ME (http://dl.qj.net/Snes9xTYL-0.4.2-ME-for-PSP-Slim-PSP-Emulators/pg/12/fid/14889/catid/135) (it runs the best but some of games *cough*mode7*cough* won't run very well at all.)

Genesis - DGEN (http://dl.qj.net/DGEN-v1.70-Slim-PSP-Emulators/pg/12/fid/14909/catid/133). Period. It's awesome and has little problems. Runs games great.

Nes - NesterJ (http://dl.qj.net/NesterJ-NES-Emulator-1.11-RM-(Rewind-and-Mirror-Mo-PSP-Emulators/pg/12/fid/14235/catid/127). Pretty awesome. An almost perfect emulator. (I think, though I'm not sure, this emulator will play Famicom roms.)

As many of the links support, QJ (http://dl.qj.net/PSP/catid/106) is a great website for PSP homebrew downloading, and it's all free.

Ultimate warrior
February 7th, 2008, 00:02
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0012MYEJ8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1202342310&sr=8-1

Is that the battery I'm looking for? Also, you say that games with mode 7 don't run well? DAMN!!! FF games all use mode 7!!!! How bad are the problems?

EDIT: actually could somebody do me a HUGE favor and test out the ROMs I have to see if there are any significant problems or not and to see if Famicom ROMs are supported? I could send it to your e-mail (not this board obviously).

dwacc
February 7th, 2008, 00:32
Sweet but whats the best CFW for me to use? Also, I'm guessing by what you are saying I can use PC emu's like ZSNES, FceULTRA and such on PSP? Or do I need PSP specific emu's? LINK'S PLZ!!!!!
SoulReaver911's already given you the wisdom here, and as you can see - you need PSP specific emulators. Just thought I'd add that for Genesis emulators, you can also consider using PicoDrive, which is both a Genesis and SegaCD emulator bundled into one. Still runs all Genesis games great.

EDIT: well, I just watched one of the videos and says something about corrupted icons. Does that have anything to do with emu's and ROM's? Also, I have a Sandisk micro SD card that came with a bigger card that says microSD/ Transflash Adapter. Will that work? This all sounds VERY complicated.
It's easier to understand corrupted icons when you've tinkered with homebrew a bit. It happens when you put something in ms0:/PSP/GAME/ that the PSP doesn't understand. It's a minor thing you can worry about after you've successfully gotten your PSP homebrew-enabled.

For CFW; newer versions generally means more functionality and support. For instance, one of the latest CFWs added support for multi-disk PSX games, which is not supported by older CFWs. The backshot is that when new CFWs come out, they're usually a bit buggy, so it's a good idea to wait a little so the developers can add bugfixes in updates.

Kinda like Windows Vista. ^^

I use 3.80 M33-5. (Translation: Team M33's homebrew-enabled edition of Sony's 3.80-firmware. The "-5" means it's update #5, so it's been worked on a while.)

Right now, the newest firmware from Sony is 3.90, and M33 has already released their own edition "3.90 M33". But it's still the first release, so I'd wait a while until maybe "3.90 M33-2" comes out.

You can find them at http://www.dark-alex.org

I'm no expert, but I think MicroSD and SD aren't what you're looking for. The PSP uses "Pro Duo" cards. (Feel free to correct me on this one, anyone.)

Stuffed crust rocks.

EDIT: I was generally impressed with the SNES emulator; it runs well especially on Slim with Frameskip set to 1. If there are specific games you need to know about, and the whole purchase of PSP is riding on it, I suppose I can check them out.

DanTheManMS
February 7th, 2008, 00:46
As far as SNES goes, the PSP has a 333 Mhz processor compared to the 66 MHz one in the DS (the 33 MHz one is left for audio emulation only). Therefore, it has the horsepower to emulate the 3 Mhz SNES in software, whereas the DS has to use hardware rendering to maintain full speed. With the SNES emulators for the PSP, you might still see some lag in a few games, most noticeably the ones with special coprocessor chips. However, from my understanding a frameskip of 1 or 2 is more than enough for nearly all games even when using the most processor-intensive rendering modes.

If I had a PSP myself I could give more targeted advice here.

Ultimate warrior
February 7th, 2008, 01:19
Well to be perfectly honest, I'd like if you could test all the ones that I gave in my first post. Not that you have to go through the ENTIRE game, just maybe the first five minutes or something. Though the MOST important is FF4-6 and the famicom games. Keep in mind however, that I'd like all of them to be tested for the first 5 minutes or something, to see if there are any probs. Once again, gimme your e-mail (don't think PM is allowed) and I will send them to you. One last question, when Super Famicom ROMs are changed to .SMC format (so they work on SNES) do they always have problems with them that the originals don't have? Because my FF4 doesn't seem as challenging as everyone says the game is. Just a paranoid thought.

EDIT: Robar810 is the guy I wanna buy off of.

EDIT: Anyone still there?

kharaboudjan
February 7th, 2008, 22:24
you can always play the final fantasy games on the perfect gba emulator gpSP! i know its not like playing the original but there will be no lag =)

and use picodrive for genesis Sega CD games. it a fantastic emulator that blew us psp users away some months ago!

Ultimate warrior
February 7th, 2008, 22:40
Well thanks for the input everyone. I just bought the PSP with a PRO DUO LOGIC Sandisk 2 GB mem stick. Now I just gotta buy the Pandora's battery and a USB cable.

SoulReaver911
February 7th, 2008, 23:05
Excellent decision my man. You'll be playing emulators in no time.

Ultimate warrior
February 7th, 2008, 23:09
Thanks but (and I know this has been asked for the 10 billionth time) can NES play .fds files?

pibs
February 8th, 2008, 00:18
I haven't tried playing .fds files but im sure the NesterJ emulator for the psp should be able to play them

Ultimate warrior
February 8th, 2008, 00:47
Could someone download oe and try it? You need Diskys.rom I know (or for PC emu's at least).

SoulReaver911
February 8th, 2008, 01:18
OMG I feel so sorry man you got ALL wrong responses from EVERYONE on this one.

Here's the real deal.

1. If you would like to play games with the .fds extension then you CAN in fact do so with NesterJ

2. In order to do so you need the File named. disksys.rom and it needs to be in the root of the NesterJ folder or the non% folder if you're using the Kxploited eboots. You would THINK it was famicom.dat because of the name, but the TRUTH is that the file named famicom.dat comes WITH every copy of NesterJ and isn't really anything special at all.

3. Disk change is for when you actually have to physically change the disk... For example, Doki Doki Panic.fds is a famicom title... To play it I select DokiDoki.fds from my list, and then when it asks for "side B" I go back to the menu Select Disk change, then select Disk 1 side B... then when I go back to the main screen, it automatically registers as having been swapped, and goes into the game from there...

So I hope that helps... I'm pretty sure you can't give links to places to find disksys.rom However I'm sure if you put it into google....

Good luck! I hope the rest of everyone who replied with total garbage reads this and learns a little something about knowing what you're talking about before saying anything

Yes. You can play Famicom games. Stop whining about it, please. I searched high and low for that.

EDIT = Here is the link to the original page. It's in archive. http://forums.qj.net/archive/index.php/t-83927.html

EDIT2 = It works. OKAY?????? And you can use the regular rom too.

arcadekidflo
March 16th, 2008, 19:38
I'll rephrase the question ..Which is better for emulators , the phat or the slim ? Do the extra 32 ram of the slim matter in fps ? I'm thinking of Mame and N64 ...