PDA

View Full Version : SO with the SNES Station?

All_Lost_Things
February 11th, 2008, 15:14
I snagged a copy of "Snes_0.24 HDD2" from Sksapps and, overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I spent this last weekend playing DKC (at, uhh, about twice the speed of sound, unfortunately. -_-') and Super Mario World... then, last night, I remembered that I had Star Ocean and Zombies Ate My Neighbors on my PC. I FTPd both games over to my HD, tried to load them up, and was greeted with a black screen for Zombies and a whole lot of lockup from SO. Do either of these games work for anyone else? I've been thinking about grabbing the PAL version of Zombies instead, in the hopes that it would load up, though I haven't done that yet, as I figured that asking here first would be more productive. Obviously, something like that isn't really an option for SO, so, I guess I'm just hoping that someone will tell me the game is working for them so I have a reason to throw on my robe and wizard's hat and go questing for another dump of the game... though I suspect that my robe and hat are probably just going to chill on my coat rack instead, seeing that my copy of SO works fine on my comp. Figured I'd ask all the same though.

Also, and this is pretty unrelated, I've been thinking about dropping Linux onto my PS2. Can I stick the images of the Linux DVDs onto my HD and run them? Seems like I should be able to, but that hardly means that I can. Also, assuming that I CAN run the images like that, I can use any USB mouse and keyboard with it, right?

Thanks for any help you can give me with any of these questions.

EDIT: One other question, about adding PS2 images to my HD. I have been advised to add all images to my HD using either HDLoader or Winhiip exclusively, as mixing both was described to me as being akin crossing the streams in Ghost Busters, presumably without the delightful effect of warm fluff everywhere (though, I suppose exactly how delightful seeing my PS2 explode into fluff would be is quite questionable...). I've just stuck with that advice and been using Winhiip, but, I've got to say, having to drag my HD out of my PS2 every time I want to drop one of my games onto it is a rather annoying process, so, uh, in light of the fact that this person, in retrospect, has been very, VERY, incorrect about a lot of points on a lot of things thus far (and I really suspect that he has been speaking out of an orifice with an intended purpose OTHER than speech), I have to ask: I can use both safely, right?

Tesseract
February 12th, 2008, 03:39
First: Try out a bunch of different 'tweaks' with the game. It does sound more like an issue with the emulator than the ROM itself... Could even be something with the ROM that the PC Emulator can simply overlook. Either way... don't put away that Robe and Wizard Hat yet. It may still turn into a beautiful woman.

Second: Not likely. The ISOs would want to gain access to the HDD and that would not happen. Also, I don't think Linux would install properly onto a non-SONY HDD. Could be wrong about that, though.

Last: I use HDLDumb and HDLDump. You run a small server program on the PS2, and use the app on your PC to send an ISO over the network to your PS2. There's even a GUI that'll do it that makes things pretty painless. Just make sure you use the same version for both programs. If you try to use 0.8.5 on the PS2 and 0.8.6 on the PC, it'll crash. No lasting damage, just annoyance.

All_Lost_Things
February 13th, 2008, 15:15
I re-downloaded Zombies and it works fine now, so, you were right about the PC just overlooking some kind of error or something somewhere in the ROM. Still no luck with SO though. I tried turning off the sound, but, it didn't help. Guess I'll just have to play it on my PC... it's not that big of a loss though.

Also, I'll try out HDLDump and Dumb when I get back to my dorm later, hopefully they'll work alright. Either way, thanks a lot for your advice, it's really appreciated.

Tesseract
February 14th, 2008, 22:38
I.... errr... appreciate your... uhm... appreciation. :D

Perhaps I'll try out Star Ocean when I get home to see if I can get anything to happen.

Another handy program to put on your PC would be 'RadHostClient'. Its use is twofold: First, it'd allow you to use uLaunchELF to directly browse folders you share. Share your PC's Emulation folder, and you can browse and copy right from your PS2 via the 'HOST:/' link in the File Browser. Only thing easier is using a USB Flash Drive. I try to use FTP as little as possible.

Secondly, it works with SMS Media Player. If you've got some DiVX-encoded videos or MP3s you'd like to play through your PS2, it'll actually let you stream that music/movie to your TV. It's a LITTLE picky, but the small amount of work is well worth it.

Eviltaco64
February 15th, 2008, 00:56
Star Ocean (along with Street Fighter Alpha 2) uses the S-DD1 chip.
Emulating that chip is a bitch, gaurenteed.
Try SFA2. If that doesnt work, then it's the emulator.