PDA

View Full Version : dreamcast roms and such ?

lukey84
August 15th, 2004, 11:06
everybody seems to be talking about playing other games on their dreamcast, like wolfensteain or whatever. its just that everyone is playing these non-dreamcast games on their dreamcast and im not. can someone explain to me how i can do this ? id really appreciate any help that anyon can give me. thanks for your time

luke

Cap'n 1time
August 15th, 2004, 12:48
dreamcast roms... ha ha thats funny.

seriously - a dreamcast is a computer. you can put software on it. People port games like wolfenstien to run with the dc hardware, just like it runs with your computer's hardware.

dont go around asking for dreamcast roms... as you will be laughed at. dont go around looking for any warez either at this site. What this site distributes is totally legit homebrew. It is either ported from source legally or it is made from scratch by programmers.

If your looking for playing other console games on the dreamcast that is called emulation (hence the name dcemu - emu isnt just a stupid bird its also short for emulation). emulators are programs that makes something (the dreamcast) act like some other hardware. after it acts just enough like whatever it is trying to emulate than software from the origonal hardware will run on an emulator.

lukey84
August 15th, 2004, 21:25
so one more time for the newbie...

is there any way i can play pc games on my dreamcast

Kamjin
August 15th, 2004, 21:52
Hmmm... By PC I'm going to assume, and IBM (clone)PC, running a windows O/S.

Simple answer is NO, the dreamcast has nothing in common with that type of PC. you can't just pop a CD into a DC and expect it to work.

Let's take lemmings as an example. This was a Game made on an AMIGA PC. Yet somehow people with IBM PC's were able to play it as well.. how can this be possible.

The game itself was Imported and converted to play on that specific platform. Meaning the game's instructions were translated so that they can run on this other type of computer.

Now if you want to run a (IM)PORT of one of these games, like Wolf3D, Doom , Quake etc. Then yes it is possible. That is if some has already done the work of translating the program to work on the dreamcast. In which case you'll need the datafiles from your PC's version to create a complete dreamcast version, including the ported part. For each game the "how" to do this is included in the readme files. Just follow thier directions to accomplish this.

Now don't start requesting a port of "Fill in blank" game, since the only way to do this is to have the "source code" to the game, and then someone has to perform the translation, which in many cases is far from an easy task.

souLLy
August 16th, 2004, 00:59
there is already a wide range of software, some of it ported some of it specifically made for the dreamcast- that you can download legally for free right now.

there are guides here that teach you how to burn the software onto a cd in the correct format that the dreamcast understands, see the help section on this site for instructions, the sbiffy.com site can also give you some more help as it lets you burn more than one piece of software to a disk at once, by using sbi files (read the guide there to find out how).

there are loads of excellent things to play with like scummvm, that lets you play old lucasarts games like sam and max and monkey island on the dc, there's beats of rage, that's a streets of rage style game with graphics from some of the snk fighting games, there's mp3 players, video players... then there's the emulators stuff too...

lukey84
August 16th, 2004, 09:07
thank you. i downloaded sbinducer, nesterdc. i believe i downloaded superfamicast as well. ive been having trouble with the snes games. i successfully did a nesterdc cd yesterday. but when i tried to do a wolfenstein or superfamicast (i think thats the name, something lie that) again, thanks for your time. that last post was very helpful.

luke