PDA

View Full Version : Game Review: Endless Ocean (Wii)

ICE
February 13th, 2008, 03:23
Endless Ocean
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Arika
Genre: Simulation
Players: 1

Ok after a long wait I have finally found the drive to write up this review. I certainly hope you people like it :P So lets jump right in here. Endless Ocean. This "non-game", while not for everyone, is indeed for me. From day one I found myself interested in this unique scuba diving game. It attempts to give you an open world take on the ocean and does it very well. Heres the thing though. If you dont like exploration dont buy this game. If you do buy 3 or 4 copies so the makers think its a huge hit..

Graphically this game is nearly on par with the greats of the console like Mario Galaxy or MP3. Notice I said nearly.. Not quite but its good. The graphics do their job of being immersion and thats all you/I want anyways right? Oh and did I mention the graphics are great only when you're in the water? On the boat they arent so hot..

As far as the controls go you'll soon forget their are any. Its that natural. Simply point at the screen and hold the B trigger or hit - to toggle auto swim. Thats it. Just point and go. Immersive? yes. Simple? yes. Does it work? Again yes.

The sound work is great. Plenty of breathing noises and all those underwater sounds you'd expect. Granted its nothing breathtaking but it serves to make you feel like you're drowning. One big issue is the absence of literally any voice over work. Often times you speak to other people and its completely silent minus the birds and water splashing. Very underwhelming.

All in all its a good not great game. It does exactly what you want and little else. It does, however, have online but again NO VOICE CHAT means why bother to me.

Replay Value 4/5 If you like the game you'll keep coming back for a very long time. The ocean is huge and theres plenty to explore.
Sound 4/5 Dolphin noises like you've never heard them before. Also breathing and water moving noises. Whoopie.
Graphics 4/5 Just a notch or so below Mario Galaxy and Metroid. Probably 2 notches though.
Gameplay 4.5/5
Score:
http://games-reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review/review4.gif

Via: C*M (http://www.codemayhem.net/viewtopic.php?t=3197)