PDA

View Full Version : single arcade

claus
August 9th, 2004, 07:55
Helo i have tryed out some of the single arcade games. such as 1941, bubble bobble and wonderboy and they where graet.
But when i try to load street fighter 2 and wonderboy it doesn't seem to work. It just says "loading" and then it returns to main menu.
Does anyone know exactly which rom versions i have to use?

quzar
August 9th, 2004, 14:35
.37 MAME version roms. Get MAME .37 for the PC and if the roms work with that, then they will work on the DC version.

Hola
August 9th, 2004, 15:35
Why do we still use primitive methods like that?
Only neogeo and arcade systems look for names. Its rather stupid you should be able to name it anything just like neoragex and it should just load it.
I cant believe people still use bad coding like that.

quzar
August 9th, 2004, 18:25
look ass, if you want to re-port MAME AND increase speed, be my guest. Right now MAME .72 (which is the most recently ported version) is too slow for these SGA's, and .37 (the previous version that was ported) is problematic because of things like the old type roms.

unless you want to do something about it, i wouldnt be insulting people left and right (not only Ian who made the SGAs, but warmtoe and James Surine (who both worked at porting MAME to the dreamcast, which by the way is the ONLY legal console port of MAME recognized by the MAME team), and the entire MAME team and those who contributed to it as well.

Kamjin
August 9th, 2004, 18:38
Only neogeo and arcade systems look for names. Its rather stupid you should be able to name it anything just like neoragex and it should just load it.

Role reversal...I'll take the other approach this time..

I've got a board here there's 32 eproms, and 6 proms.. I've dumped them into binary files.. can you tell which one is which? now I have over 100000 of them.. they're all named randomly, can you tell which game they came from?

If you can then please post an algo. that takes less then a few months to execute..

Cap'n 1time
August 9th, 2004, 20:43

you have so much time for finding fault with.... everything, how about you make your own mame emulator wise ass. Normaly i wouldnt just out with that, but your problems with just about EVERYTHING is really getting old.

quzar
August 10th, 2004, 01:49
I think these forums have their first official, known troll (who is actually on topic =P)

Eric
August 10th, 2004, 07:58
I have to come in here again from his other post and agree with quzar and 1timeuser. He is starting to really pee me off.

Hola
August 10th, 2004, 11:15
I'm not insulting the porters at all. I'm saying the way mame goes about things is primitive and no other emulators do it. If you had to have the correctly named rom for every snes game you have i'm sure you'd see 1000's of post over at snes9x or zsnes saying wtf doesnt this work and blah this. I think the way Zsnes goes about it is best. It just checksums it and if it passes it loads. It doesnt care what game it is or anything. Neorage X does this too.
I never understood how this whole correct name system cought on at all and was a rather bad idea.

quzar
August 10th, 2004, 16:20
I'm not insulting the porters at all. I'm saying the way mame goes about things is primitive and no other emulators do it. If you had to have the correctly named rom for every snes game you have i'm sure you'd see 1000's of post over at snes9x or zsnes saying wtf doesnt this work and blah this. *I think the way Zsnes goes about it is best. It just checksums it and if it passes it loads. It doesnt care what game it is or anything. Neorage X does this too.
I never understood how this whole correct name system cought on at all and was a rather bad idea.

Its only a bad idea if you dont know how it works.

Hola
August 10th, 2004, 16:41
Explain to me why being able to have it automatically realise its a correct file is bad thing?

If its a bad thing why do most emulators do it?

I'd really like to know why something thats a big hassel is better.

MetaFox
August 10th, 2004, 19:20
I'm not insulting the porters at all. I'm saying the way mame goes about things is primitive and no other emulators do it. If you had to have the correctly named rom for every snes game you have i'm sure you'd see 1000's of post over at snes9x or zsnes saying wtf doesnt this work and blah this.Comparing the way MAME loads roms to the way SNES emulators load ROMs is assinine. You are aware that MAME consists of several romfiles in one zipfile, right? That's the whole reason why MAME has naming conventions, so that ROMsets with similarly named files won't get loaded on accident. If you have invaders.zip and comsicmo.zip both loading invaders.h, invaders.g, invaders.f, and invaders.e, do you really expect the emulator to know the difference between the two sets? Of course not, that's why MAME has naming conventions. I think you'll find it's the same in all arcade emulators that emulate more than one system. It's not just MAME.

Kamjin
August 10th, 2004, 19:20
Okay let me try this again..

Can ZSNES play renamed SNES, GENESIS, Atari2600 roms?

How many different types of NES hardware are there?
How many NES roms come in 12 rom files?

You're talking about an emulator that emulate 1 machine. Mame emulates thousands of different machines, and on each machine there are up to 20 or so different romsets.

If Zsnes was able to play a renamed Arcade Pengo romset then talk..
Right now you just look seriously ignorant..
I mean take a minute and explain how you'd actually go about doing this.. an BTW there are few roms that have the same checksums in the entire mame library.

quzar
August 10th, 2004, 19:21
Explain to me why being able to have it automatically realise its a correct file is bad thing?

If its a bad thing why do most emulators do it?

I'd really like to know why something thats a big hassel is better.

Role reversal...I'll take the other approach this time..

I've got a board here there's 32 eproms, and 6 proms.. I've dumped them into binary files.. can you tell which one is which? now I have over 100000 of them.. they're all named randomly, can you tell which game they came from?

If you can then please post an algo. that takes less then a few months to execute..

Kamjin
August 10th, 2004, 19:30
Yeah... I had a dog like that once...

no matter how hard you try, it just doesn't understand the concept of "pee on the carpet and you're gonna get kicked"

Hola
August 10th, 2004, 19:52
Ok lets clear this all up. Single Arcade is the name of the topic. I asmued the person ment single system builds of mame. And when mame is only loading 1 system its pointless to have these over messures.

MetaFox
August 10th, 2004, 20:09
Ok lets clear this all up. Single Arcade is the name of the topic. I asmued the person ment single system builds of mame. And when mame is only loading 1 system its pointless to have these over messures.MAME wasn't built for single arcade builds. The Dreamcast builds are often built as single game builds because of the ram limitations that aren't present in PCs. If you want to rewrite MAME for the Dreamcast to recognize any zipfile you throw at it, be my guest.

quzar
August 10th, 2004, 21:05
Yea, the way the single game emulators are made is literally just mame with all the drivers and cpu cores that are not needed for the one game taken out.