PDA

View Full Version : PSP emulation development slowing down?

ArugulaZ
August 10th, 2005, 23:49
Man, it sure seems like the emulation scene on the PSP has been drying up lately. It's really a shame, too, because there are still so many systems yet to be emulated on the PSP, especially the older ones like the 2600 and ColecoVision.

Does anyone have any theories as to why coders have lost interest in PSP emulation? Is it because of the recent release of firmware updates that make their programs impossible to run, or all the piracy that's been going on lately? Or is it just that the thrill of making software on the PSP is gone for many programmers?

JR

xuphorz
August 10th, 2005, 23:54
probly the second option, but i not a programmer, so i don't know

also, it hasn't really died, the pc emulation scene has been going (slowly) for probly 10 years, and i think the psp will also :D

wraggster
August 10th, 2005, 23:55
the piracy isnt helping matters :(

xuphorz
August 11th, 2005, 00:00
the piracy isnt helping matters :(

true, but do you really think a psp developer wil stop just because they'll think what sony wil do?

MSX
August 11th, 2005, 00:47
Let's just hope that they've been quietly working on killer apps and emulators, eh? :D.

Omatic
August 11th, 2005, 01:26
This kinda reminds me of a certain Stock Market thing that happened some time ago. Or maybe the current real estate market. Basically what I'm saying is that we were getting used to releases comming out of the woodworks like crazy, and things might be returning to what they'd "normally" be.

At least, that's my theory.

Mourningstar
August 11th, 2005, 01:29
Its probably because Sony wont stop until they kill PSP homebrew/emu....

xuphorz
August 11th, 2005, 01:32
that reminds me

if sony were to find this site, and declare it lawsuitable, would all the members of the site be in trouble?

nexis2600
August 11th, 2005, 06:04
I think it's just more from the PSP scene going though a new phase.

For the longest time we have been riding on the early phase of just "port anything and everything you can get to compile." There are many ported programs out there at are just not in a great state and need alot of work.

I feel that now since alot is known about the psp hardware, coders are now more focusing on bigger task that take much more time to develope. I for instance must admit I have been much more quiet then antisipated. Yet that is because I am currently brewing something in the background that deals with neopop in general which ngPsp will benifit from emensly. As well I am busy with the long task of getting wifi working which takes alot of time to just poke around.

ghost2258
August 11th, 2005, 06:40
maybe they are busy trying to crack 2.0... or more than likely its the piracy issue..

ArchAngel
August 11th, 2005, 07:31
I dont think there is anything to worry about as far as Sony goes, granted GBA Emulation is a bit illegal, emulating older systems that are out of production is less pirace, more restoring. And as long as a programmer can keep his identity a secret, I dont think they have anything to worry about... IP Addresses are kept in forums, but if there were another way without leaving a trace, but instead a messege or link, then Im sure that programmers wouldnt have to worry.

ataribob
August 12th, 2005, 22:40
Well Most emulators and Back-up systems are legal

On October 28, 2003, the Librarian of Congress, on the recommendation of the Register of Copyrights, announced the classes of works subject to the exemption from the prohibition against circumvention of technological measures that control access to copyrighted works. The four classes of works exempted are:

(3) Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and which require the original media or hardware as a condition of access. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.

Definitions. (1) “Internet locations” are defined to include domains, uniform resource locators (URLs), numeric IP addresses or any combination thereof.
(2) “Obsolete” shall mean “no longer manufactured or reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.”
(3) “Specialized format,” “digital text” and “authorized entities” shall have the same meaning as in 17 U.S.C. §121.

B_man55
August 13th, 2005, 02:07
A felony is a felony. It doesn't matter if the games are out of production, it is still just as illegal as emulation a PS2 game per say.

UnderHill
August 13th, 2005, 20:34
It could also be the fact that more PSPers are movin to 2.0 firmware
they may be *drawn* to the web browser ,which isnt that good anyway :p

ataribob
August 13th, 2005, 21:56
It could also be the fact that more PSPers are movin to 2.0 firmware
they may be *drawn* to the web browser ,which isnt that good anyway :p

I would think most users that update to 2.0 for the new web don't really understand the value of the Home Brew and emulators.
Most PSP yahoo groups talk about how good the upgrade is.
Too bad they are new PSP users that don't know any better.

Zale1
August 14th, 2005, 23:07
Back to the part declaring that old games can be considered obsolete. It's a little difficult to do so when Nintendo keeps re-releasing old 8-bit and 16-bit NES + SNES games on the GBA in a frantic attempt to re-profit off old games...

Ceno
August 15th, 2005, 17:43
Not to mention when the Nintendo Revolution comes out it is going to support the past 20 years of nintendo games through a downloadable media. Everything from the N64 to the snes and even the ol 8bit nes.

ataribob
August 17th, 2005, 00:13
Back to the part declaring that old games can be considered obsolete. It's a little difficult to do so when Nintendo keeps re-releasing old 8-bit and 16-bit NES + SNES games on the GBA in a frantic attempt to re-profit off old games...

It's not the game itself It's the format that was used to run that game.
Even if Nintendo remakes a game for the GBA it still leaves the old game