PDA

View Full Version : HEy guys Im totally new at this and need help

Erock
February 14th, 2008, 07:38
I have a PSP Fat style with firmware version 3.90 official.
What I want to do is just play a few emulators on it like Sega and NES what steps do I need to take to make this happen?

M Dash
February 14th, 2008, 10:02
Well, first you need another PSP (homebrew capable) so that you can create a Pandora Battery and a Magic Memory Stick.

dark-alex.org has everything you need.

bah
February 14th, 2008, 10:12
You need to use the pandora's battery/magic memory stick method to get your PSP running a custom firmware.

A bit of background info on the topic. (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148004676&postcount=15)

More info (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75828)

Official release page for the pandora method (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/unbricker-for-all-firmwares.html), with the file you need to download to create the memory stick/battery (using a PSP that is already homebrew compatible).

Erock
February 14th, 2008, 16:30
Well, first you need another PSP (homebrew capable) so that you can create a Pandora Battery and a Magic Memory Stick.

dark-alex.org has everything you need.

So Basically I just need a second battery and a second memory stick.

I got 2 memory sticks, but only one battery, can I just use my friends battery, or do I need it all the time?

bah
February 14th, 2008, 17:18
The battery and memory stick can be converted back to normal once you have downgraded. It's nice to have a pandora battery/mstick around if ever needed again though.

The main thing you need (as M Dash said) is to know someone with a PSP currently running 1.0, 1.5, or one of the custom firmwares.

Erock
February 14th, 2008, 17:46
I dont understand why I need another PSP with 1.0 or 1.5 on it , cant I just downgrade mine to 1.5 and go from there? Cause I dont know anyone with a PSP that have those versions on it

bah
February 14th, 2008, 18:25
To quote from the second of the 3 posts I linked to:

"Why do you need a homebrew capable PSP? Because you need to create the files necessary to make the memory stick, which will end up containing Sony copyright code, so distributing an already created one is illegal."

The brilliant people who created this method, and released it for people like us are (obviously) not idiots. To modify sony's code then release a modified version of it is illegal.
Instead they released a program that runs on a PSP that is already able to run homebrew as it has both the ability to decrypt sony's protected files and to run unauthorised code.
Those 2 things allow it to create the files needed to downgrade your PSP from completely original (legal to distribute) code and the update files sony releases.

It's polite to read peoples answers (including links) when you ask a question, before asking it again.

Erock
February 14th, 2008, 18:44
Im soo confused, so my Fat PSP v3.90 cant be modified unless I have a second psp with version 1.0 or 1.5 on it, wouldnt be easier just to sell my PSP and buy one with version 1.0 or 1.5 on it, because I dont have access to any other PSPs except for mine

bah
February 14th, 2008, 18:53
'1.0, 1.5, or one of the custom firmwares.'

If someone is selling pre-downgraded PSP's then they will be charging a markup for the effort. Better to just find someone with a homebrew-friendly PSP (running firmware 1.0, 1.5, or one of the custom firmwares), or if you're desperate try this (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/information-for-ebay-buyers.html)(also from the 2nd post I linked to).

I can't be bothered relaying info when you don't want to read things for yourself.
Use google and search for answers to your questions.

Homebrew is by deffinition not official, and sony do their best to block it. This means it may take a (very small) amount of work on your behalf to get it running.
Be thankful the pandora method was found and released, finding someone to make you the memory stick is a lot easier than it was for team C&D to develop the method.

Erock
February 14th, 2008, 19:05
Sorry man, I just new at this like I said, I been reading but its confusing, sorry for wasting your time

hodgy47
February 15th, 2008, 01:51
Homebrew is by deffinition not official, and sony do their best to block it. This means it may take a (very small) amount of work on your behalf to get it running.
Be thankful the pandora method was found and released, finding someone to make you the memory stick is a lot easier than it was for team C&D to develop the method.

Well said bah couldnt agree more.